Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Martyisth3b3st

Devils trip to Florida, my experience

88 posts in this topic

As much as I would like to believe this is the answer, I think it has a lot more to do with an attractive 22 year old brazilian girl in a Devils tee shirt smiling like an idiot :P

Hah well that and being in the right places at the right times.  But yeah that's definitely some fan experience. 

Great post. You guys must be personable, that was like a perfect experience in every way.

Personable? Darth? 

Great to read. Kevin Clark is awesome, my friend and I have met up with him a few times before games (and for quite awhile before the Albany game in Atlantic City earlier this month). Really fun guy to talk to.

My friend lives a few blocks from the team's hotel in Philadelphia, so when we were walking to the subway to the game a couple weeks ago, we walked by and caught Rutuu, Schneider, Marty, Zubrus, Zajac, Gionta, Volchenkov, DeBoer, etc all stopping on the way out and signing. It was cool, and I imagine even more fun for a "true" road game like that one, where road team fans have to really go the distance to see the team. I imagine they all appreciate seeing that.  Great story man.

Glad you guys found it so interesting! If you all were interested I could post a few photos later.

@tl1a; yeah, Clarke was one of the nicest guys I've ever encountered. Hysterical, full of knowledge... Just a really great guy. My friend couldn't believe it when he heard that on the other end of the phone, without a doubt a story I'll always remember.

I think the fact tht there were so few of us Devils fans in Tampa made the players even more fan-friendly. It was a pretty incredible experience, and it's amazing how personable all of the players were.

Also, in case you all want to eat like a hockey player: 90% of the guys were carrying a banana and eating granola. Literally almost every single one of them. So, yeah :)

Also, in case you all want to eat like a hockey player: 90% of the guys were carrying a banana and eating granola. Literally almost every single one of them. So, yeah :)

That was probably just the lunch Marty packed for them.

Glad you guys found it so interesting! If you all were interested I could post a few photos later.

@tl1a; yeah, Clarke was one of the nicest guys I've ever encountered. Hysterical, full of knowledge... Just a really great guy. My friend couldn't believe it when he heard that on the other end of the phone, without a doubt a story I'll always remember.

I think the fact tht there were so few of us Devils fans in Tampa made the players even more fan-friendly. It was a pretty incredible experience, and it's amazing how personable all of the players were.

Really glad you had a great time meeting them. I've only had one experience meeting Devils players 12+ years ago, and none of them had any interest in saying much or chatting. A few avoided autographs, but I didn't blame them. I was one of 3 people full of dozens that were actual fans and not autograph hawkers. They really are the worst people ever.

That was a pretty damn big game in Tampa, so all of them could have had their headphones on and just walked right past everyone to the bus/arena/whatever focusing on the game at hand, and could you be that upset.  Again, that could have been Clowe's mentality. Instead, they stopped, made some awesome memories for a ton of people.

Nice story, where are the selfies to support this event. I want to see one with you and your girlfriend. I told you that before.

Why is she with you? I forgot your parents have money.

Did you snap a picture with Marty?

Enjoy

Nice story, where are the selfies to support this event. I want to see one with you and your girlfriend. I told you that before.

Enjoy

This is why can't have nice things. 

Enjoy

You know, a few months ago you personally attacked me, unwarranted, and I sent you a personal message, asking why you are who you are. I haven't replied to one of your comments in forever, and rarely do it as much as the rest of the forum.

Sometimes I wonder what it takes to make a man so bitter, and I must assume you've had a great tragedy in your life to turn you into something like this. I honestly feel really bad for you.

Also, as you probably forgot, you've made that same comment before: "your parents money". I replied then, telling you how a comment like this was incredibly disrespectful and completely uncalled for, as the economy destroyed my father's job, as someone who was employed by Chrysler. My girlfriend is with me because she's my best friend, but I don't need to explain that to a sad lonely man like yourself.

I'll post the photos later, because other people would probably enjoy them. I'm finally adding you to ignore, because a comment like yours- so out of the blue- truly shows that you add nothing to this forum. I'm sure you've heard that many times before.

Have a nice life.

You know, a few months ago you personally attacked me, unwarranted, and I sent you a personal message, asking why you are who you are. I haven't replied to one of your comments in forever, and rarely do it as much as the rest of the forum.

Sometimes I wonder what it takes to make a man so bitter, and I must assume you've had a great tragedy in your life to turn you into something like this. I honestly feel really bad for you.

Also, as you probably forgot, you've made that same comment before: "your parents money". I replied then, telling you how a comment like this was incredibly disrespectful and completely uncalled for, as the economy destroyed my father's job, as someone who was employed by Chrysler. My girlfriend is with me because she's my best friend, but I don't need to explain that to a sad lonely man like yourself.

I'll post the photos later, because other people would probably enjoy them. I'm finally adding you to ignore, because a comment like yours- so out of the blue- truly shows that you add nothing to this forum. I'm sure you've heard that many times before.

Have a nice life.

Yup, Get Real's just like school in the summertime, no class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup, Get Real's just like school in the summertime, no class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to hate him, now I just feel bad for him.

I wanted to see pics but now that LD decided to be all creepy, I am not sure. It's like DD56 said.

i dunno this darth guy and Lucifer sound one in the fvcking same, feel bad for both of them, truth.

Edited by lazer

This is awesome, love to hear these personal experiences with the players and Devils staff (if that's the right word).

Although I will say, I'd be worried about Henrique snatching that girl of yours.  Isn't this like..the 4th time he's picked her out of the crowd at some point?! :lol:

I'm just waiting for the thread "You won't believe what that bastard Henrique did.."

Would love to see the pics.  Sounds like an awesome time all-around. 

Everyone was awesome and waved and talked to fans except, oddly enough, Clowe. He kept his head down and walked to the bus, didn't acknowledge the fans telling him good luck or shouting positive things towards him. I get it if you don't want to sign, but it takes zero effort to wave. He even ignored the 9 year old waiting near the bus, just walked straight past her. Lost a little respect for him after that.

I'll give Clowe the benefit of the doubt. Dude's a Spartan from what I can tell this season, and was probably in intense game-mode. I know people who met him in a non-game situation (off-day) who said he was super nice and awesome.

In regards to Clowe, I have never met the guy but he doesn't seem like a very personable fellow. I don't really have a problem with that either. Some people don't enjoy interacting with people and want to keep to themselves. I don't think that just because he's a professional athlete he needs to change that.

This is awesome, love to hear these personal experiences with the players and Devils staff (if that's the right word).

Although I will say, I'd be worried about Henrique snatching that girl of yours.  Isn't this like..the 4th time he's picked her out of the crowd at some point?! :lol:

I'm just waiting for the thread "You won't believe what that bastard Henrique did.."

Shhh... let's not give her any ideas

Would love to see the pics.  Sounds like an awesome time all-around. 

Busy day at school today, I'll post a few either tonight or tomorrow.

In regards to Clowe, I have never met the guy but he doesn't seem like a very personable fellow. I don't really have a problem with that either. Some people don't enjoy interacting with people and want to keep to themselves. I don't think that just because he's a professional athlete he needs to change that.

I've always thought players who aren't necessarily "friendly" doesn't make them a$$holes by design...sometimes they get an unfair rap in this regard.  Just like every group of people, you'll find some that are shy, quiet, reserved, guarded, and not terribly comfortable with strangers in either small or large numbers (but could be the best friend or relative you'd ever want to have if you really knew him).  Some players are comfortable doing their thing on the field, court, ice, whatever, but aren't into the other stuff that comes with it (appearances, signing autographs, etc).  And sometimes it's nothing more than maybe a guy having a bad day and not wanting to be bothered.  There was a guy who used to post here that would instantly call players "douches" who didn't fall over themselves and weren't smiling ear-to-ear to sign for him and act like his pal.  Always felt that was extremely unfair.    

There was a guy who used to post here that would instantly call players "douches" who didn't fall over themselves and weren't smiling ear-to-ear to sign for him and act like his pal.  Always felt that was extremely unfair.    

Not to elevate myself, because I have had some interesting player interactions a la Scott Gomez, but I think there is a whole lot of fans who see it this way, not just a few; that no matter what they do they are right because they are just the 'little old fans' and the players can only be wrong because they are paid athletes. I can imagine if I was a reclusive guy it would ruin my whole career experience to have to shake every hand and answer every question - it shouldn't be a requirement of playing in the league.

Then again there are some players who are just plain rude.

Edited by Neb00rs

Not to elevate myself, because I have had some interesting player interactions a la Scott Gomez, but I think there is a whole lot of fans who see it this way, not just a few; that no matter what they do they are right because they are just the 'little old fans' and the players can only be wrong because they are paid athletes. I can imagine if I was a reclusove guy it would ruin my whole career experience to have to shake every hand and answer every question - it shouldn't be a requirement of playing in the league.

Then again there are some players who are just plain rude.

This is why Wayne Gretzky doesn't get enough credit for the person he is and the ambassador he has been for the sport. You go through his entire career, and the only blemish on his record is a comment he said about the Devils organization when he was 22 or 23? On a side note, he wasn't wrong and only made the comments because his good friend Ron Lowe kept getting embarrassed night in and night out playing behind such a bad team. The quote was:

They better stop running a Mickey Mouse organization and put somebody on the ice. I feel damn sorry for Ron Low and Chico Resch."

Anyway, pretty much that's all the controversy from him in 30 years. Furthermore, he remembers what it was like to be a kid and meet his idols, and how much it meant to him, so he pretty much never turns down an autograph. And when you are Wayne Gretzky and don't turn down an autograph, that means he pretty much signs all day everyday. He doesn't have time to say much and there really isn't any smiling either, but it is the life he was given. He always says that hockey has given him and his family so much, that he feels obligated to give back. If you see Gretzky at a hockey in a box, he spends the entire game being passed photos and jerseys from the crowd and signs over and over. There isn't even a number I wouldn't believe in regards to how many autographs he has signed in his lifetime. 5 million? 10 million?

This is Gretzky at pretty much every public event: