GDT: Devils @ fishsticks 3/29/14 @ 7pm

lazer

This is the most disappointing season I've experienced as a fan.

Devils fans have really had it good then.

I don't understand the disappointment. No one predicted the Devils to be a playoff team. Maybe it started from the..."we'll show all the pundits never to doubt the Devils" that people really thought this team was something or bought into some ridiculous notion (from some fans and players on the team) that went along the lines of "with Kovalchuk gone, we'll finally be able to get back to being a successful team".

I didn't expect a W tonight, so I am luckily not disappointed or shocked. It's a middle to lower end team that is right there. It's a team that has so much dead weight up front that it will simply be impossible to clean up for two seasons. It was hard to know if there was little to no energy or if all the forwards were emptying the tank.

Edited by devilsrule33

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2-4-2 in their last 8, 9-9-4 in their last 22.  Sorry guys, just about EVERY time you've had a chance to do something, you've failed.  Nothing more to be said.

dr33, the forward situation may not be as hard to clean up as you think.  Only forwards signed beyond 2015-16 are Zajac, Clowe, and Henrique.  No real awful contracts with the other guys. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Besides the clusterfvck that's already happened this season, think about this tonight when you want rock bottom. The season is on the line, one goal in regulation, 24 shots total, SO loss (and not one goal scored again) against a 3rd string goaltender playing a preseason version of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Coaches and GM lose their jobs for less then all this. 

I don't understand the disappointment. No one predicted the Devils to be a playoff team. Maybe it started from the..."we'll show all the pundits never to doubt the Devils" that people really thought this team was something or bought into some ridiculous notion (from some fans and players on the team) that went along the lines of "with Kovalchuk gone, we'll finally be able to get back to being a successful team".

I didn't expect a W tonight, so I am luckily not disappointed or shocked. It's a middle to lower end team that is right there. It's a team that has so much dead weight up front that it will simply be impossible to clean up for two seasons. It was hard to know if there was little to no energy or if all the forwards were emptying the tank.

Agreed for the most part. I only expected the team to be slightly better this year than it is, so I'm only slightly disappointed. 

I think what makes it so disappointing is that they've just been on the cusp of getting over the hump for so long that they've somehow hung around but never turned the corner, which just makes it so much more frustrating and disappointing than just losing outright and falling out of the race. Like, they're always RIGHT THERE but then they'll blow a lead or choke it away in the last minute or something. The amount of points left on the table is unreal.

Never has one gif more perfectly summed up a season.

kid-kicking-ball.gif

Edited by PWW

I didn't expect a W tonight, so I am luckily not disappointed or shocked. It's a middle to lower end team that is right there. It's a team that has so much dead weight up front that it will simply be impossible to clean up for two seasons. It was hard to know if there was little no energy or if all the forwards were emptying the tank.

I didn't exactly expect this team to make waves this season. Sure, I hoped that they would throw up the proverbial middle finger to the world by being a sleeper after kovalchuk ripped lamoriello and thousands of fans a gaping wide a$$hole but of course reality should dictate otherwise.

Still though, its the fact that this team squanders leads like it's their job, clusterfvcks their way towards a tie game just to piss away a shootout, and continually makes backup goalies look like the next golden Gods of hockey.

This team is frustrating.

This is definitely not the most disappointed I've ever been as a fan. But frustration is boiling over now. Boneheaded defensive plays, severely questionable goaltending choices, misuage of players by deboer - ugh. I'm fuming sometimes. Worse yet, I've begun to feel apathetic to it all. Once the numbness sets in, I know this season is over. And frankly, I'm really looking forward to it.

Agreed for the most part. I only expected the team to be slightly better this year than it is, so I'm only slightly disappointed. 

Understand this viewpoint, but I guess what makes it tough is that, for some reason, there's that part of me that wants to think THIS will be the game that they'll finally take full advantage of an opportunity.  It just never happens this season.

How could this not be disappointing? Did you see the AHL team dressed in NHL uniforms they played against? Season is on the line and the Islanders were an AHL version of themselves. If you can't win this game in a fashion fit for a desperate team you deserve to be eliminated and considered in the same breath as the sh!tbags we call other teams.

No one was confident they'd be a playoff team but god damn i mean has anyone seen a more painfully mediocre, boring, predictable team in all your life? This is terrible. They make you fvcking angry. 

Cory SUCKS at the shootout. At least brodeur makes a save

Yeah, it's really a shame he's not standing on his head out there. Would love seeing us go to extra rounds at 0-0 before we lose instead of just making it quick and painless.

not srs

I didn't exactly expect this team to make waves this season. Sure, I hoped that they would throw up the proverbial middle finger to the world by being a sleeper after kovalchuk ripped lamoriello and thousands of fans a gaping wide a$$hole but of course reality should dictate otherwise.

Still though, its the fact that this team squanders leads like it's their job, clusterfvcks their way towards a tie game just to piss away a shootout, and continually makes backup goalies look like the next golden Gods of hockey.

This team is frustrating.

This is definitely not the most disappointed I've ever been as a fan. But frustration is boiling over now. Boneheaded defensive plays, severely questionable goaltending choices, misuage of players by deboer - ugh. I'm fuming sometimes. Worse yet, I've begun to feel apathetic to it all. Once the numbness sets in, I know this season is over. And frankly, I'm really looking forward to it.

I said earlier that the Olympic break was heaven. Deboer's personnel decisions have been frustrating (not counting Larsson since that's a Lou move), but I really think his system is the only thing that keeps this team alive each night, especially with Brodeur playing so many games. Look at this group, and I just don't see them being much better with any other coach playing a different style. Of course I would have liked Josefson and Loktionov to have a much better look, but that's about it. Not saying these players are perfect for his style, but what else is this group going to do. It just sucks because in 2012 they had a lot better players for it. The 4th line is completely useless. The third line tonight is just awful (but I want those three guys quarantined there).

I don't think they made any AHL or backup goalie look great this year. They have just not been a good enough offensive team. Nillson didn't have to do anything at all tonight, really. What you saw tonight happens every year where 4-5 terrible teams bring up some hungry young players, and they do fairly well for a good stretch. Islanders are one of those teams.

This Devils don't squander leads or make bonehead plays more than any other past team...they just don't have the talent to overcome any mistakes most night.

Edited by devilsrule33

My one big question after these last 2 games is why the fvck did the Devils even get Ruutu if they weren't going to take advantage of one of his biggest skills to fix one of their biggest problems? Like, it hurts my head thinking about it.

It's pretty sad when you don't expect a W against what's essentially a minor league team with a backup goalie.  For all the Devils' ills they should have been able to win THIS game with their season on the line.

My one big question after these last 2 games is why the fvck did the Devils even get Ruutu if they weren't going to take advantage of one of his biggest skills to fix one of their biggest problems? Like, it hurts my head thinking about it.

Which is why I can't absolve Pete entirely either for our shootout mess.

whats the silver lining here please someone

One day closer to the end of the season?

Give me 30 shootout attempts and I can at least get 2. I'll just walk in and take a slapper every time from the slot in close. It has a better chance than what these bums can do. PATHETIC.

At the Hockey 101 function last night Dano was there and even HE was joking he could get two...Driver told him essentially to pipe down lol

Yeah, it's really a shame he's not standing on his head out there. Would love seeing us go to extra rounds at 0-0 before we lose instead of just making it quick and painless.

not srs

Neilson does the same move almost every time, and well corys 5 hole is bigger then mooses last year. Im just going by the shootout as thankfully thats the only part i saw. O well now to move on to the other dissapointing season, mets season

At the Hockey 101 function last night Dano was there and even HE was joking he could get two...Driver told him essentially to pipe down lol

Dude I would go all out, I could do the Malik/Hertl shot, the lacrosse shot, I'll just take slappers all night, idc. I guarantee I can at least get two in purely on luck against an NHL goalie on 30 attempts. The fact that these guys cant is embarrassing. Just go in with speed and take a shot. 

Dude I would go all out, I could do the Malik/Hertl shot, the lacrosse shot, I'll just take slappers all night, idc. I guarantee I can at least get two in purely on luck against an NHL goalie on 30 attempts. The fact that these guys cant is embarrassing. Just go in with speed and take a shot. 

I'd give you 500 attempts, and I don't think you'd come close to scoring one.

These guys go in way too slow making it too easy for any goalie. Just fly in with speed and open up a goalie a bit.

I'd give you 500 attempts, and I don't think you'd come close to scoring one.

These guys go in way too slow making it too easy for any goalie. Just fly in with speed and open up a goalie a bit.

I'm no professional or anything but give me 30 attempts on one NHL goalie and I will get a few in, at least one. I'm being honest to myself, if I skate in with good speed and take a hard slapper in close I know I can get quite a few right under the bar. If its near the goalies ears its in. I've been playing long enough to have an accurate slapper.

EDIT: obviously I'm talking 30 attempts in a row, not 30 different shootout attempts. I know its different but I'm not a professional paid athlete. Just making a point that this group is pathetic in these things. They at least should have a handful of goals based on luck alone.  :doh1:

Edited by Zubie#8

I'm no professional or anything but give me 30 attempts on one NHL goalie and I will get a few in, at least one. I'm being honest to myself, if I skate in with good speed and take a hard slapper in close I know I can get quite a few right under the bar. If its near the goalies ears its in. I've been playing long enough to have an accurate slapper.

EDIT: obviously I'm talking 30 attempts in a row, not 30 different shootout attempts. I know its different but I'm not a professional paid athlete. Just making a point that this group is pathetic in these things. They at least should have a handful of goals based on luck alone.  :doh1:

I agree...

Anyone who has ever played hockey by law of averages would score more than 1 on 30+ attempts...it is just sickening to watch this group of misfits go into a shootout.