GDT-Devils @ Hurricanes-7PM

Renato Rodrigues

I just don't know how through all these recent disappointments the Devs have somehow picked up 11 of 14 points.

Especially losing 3 of your main centers in ONE game.  Is there any word on them yet? We need them back as soon as humanly possible. 

EDIT:  Oh, 2 words, Cory Schneider

Edited by RizzMB30

Especially losing 3 of your main centers in ONE game.  Is there any word on them yet? We need them back as soon as humanly possible. 

EDIT:  Oh, 2 words, Cory Schneider

Cory has been a gigantic part of it, but the Devils are finally getting some timely goals now. for him...even if the GWG was from the "magic puck". Cory has played a ton of great games that have ended in shootouts. If he got any goal support throughout the year, this team would be in the playoffs.

Two things came to mind immediately:

1. The anti-Pete crowd can pipe the fvck down after these last two games. He's A) had a skeleton crew, B) squeezing decent hockey out of TIM SESTITO, and C) has the team busting their collective asses for 2 nights in a row with big travel night last night. 

2. Cory Schneider. What a stud. There is your big game for you - actually two of them, skeeter.

Though, there still is the question as to whether it's necessary to attempt to do so in the first place.

How is that on Pete? It's Lou if anyone.

From a coaching perspective with your back against the wall like this, it is a lot easier to say to Sestito "don't fvck up" rather than trying to teach the game to Boucher or a younger guy to call up.

Plus they might not have room to call a guy up anyway, they have like twenty-five guys on the roster as is.

I was fine with the group they had. My only issue was Gionta playing and getting too many minutes when he really wasn't healthy enough to play.

Boucher is not the player you want up here for a game like this.

I was fine with the group they had. My only issue was Gionta playing and getting too many minutes when he really wasn't healthy enough to play.

Boucher is not the player you want up here for a game like this.

Not if you're going to just throw him on the third-fourth line anyway.  They had top six wingers (if you want to call Ruutu/Brunner/Ryder that), they really needed centers more, which they clearly don't have.  Ironically all our goals came from centers though...but you can only play Zajac and Zubrus so much on a fourth game in six nights.  That's why you get Gionta on the ice for seventeen minutes coming off of injury...at least he was 'fresh' from that perspective though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

btw did anybody see Brunner trying that little "lift the puck and try to sneak it under the crossbar attempt"

That's similar to a bat flip in baseball. Wish he wouldn't be so fancy sometimes, but stuff like that is going to get him run.

btw did anybody see Brunner trying that little "lift the puck and try to sneak it under the crossbar attempt"

That's similar to a bat flip in baseball. Wish he wouldn't be so fancy sometimes, but stuff like that is going to get him run.

Like this?

Brunner said scored on move in Swiss league. Tried it for DET in playoffs last year, didn't get puck up "and Getzlaf almost killed me after"

hahahahaha. I mean come on kid. A simple centering pass would do...no need for David Copperfield antics!

Considering Devils players have the puck behind the net 100 times a game and rarely event attempt a centering pass, I was fine with the effort. A confident Brunner (even if it is ridiculously overconfident) is something the team needs.

Just a couple of nice "simple" numbers:

Zajac now has 10 goals and 14 assists in his last 28 GP.  Whatever you want to chalk that up to (better puck luck, etc), it's great to see that he may still have it in him to provide 50-60 points' worth of offense (especially if he's skating with the right guys).  The Devils flat-out need that from him.

Also great to see Cory's numbers inching towards where they were before the post-Olympic skid (looking more and more like that layoff played a role in his going cold).  Now up to .918 in save% and down to 2.02 in GAA on the season.  Two goals allowed or less in each of his last 6 GP (just seven overall), including none of course in the game against Florida that Marty "won" (kind of funny that if Cory allows one goal in that game, he gets the win). 

I don't want to see Marty in net unless the Devils are eliminated from playoff contention.  There's two days of rest coming after the Calgary game.  Cory's more than earned the rest of the "relevant" games from here on out.  Even if Cory has a rough one on Tuesday, for ONCE, I'd like to see Marty not get the savior treatment. 

Also great to see Cory's numbers inching towards where they were before the post-Olympic skid (looking more and more like that layoff played a role in his going cold).  Now up to .918 in save% and down to 2.02 in GAA on the season.  Two goals allowed or less in each of his last 6 GP (just seven overall), including none of course in the game against Florida that Marty "won" (kind of funny that if Cory allows one goal in that game, he gets the win). 

I don't want to see Marty in net unless the Devils are eliminated from playoff contention.  There's two days of rest coming after the Calgary game.  Cory's more than earned the rest of the "relevant" games from here on out.  Even if Cory has a rough one on Tuesday, for ONCE, I'd like to see Marty not get the savior treatment. 

Using Hockey-Reference's Goals Saved Above Average metric, Schneider now +5.17, Brodeur -12.09. Schneider also has a .921 5v5 SV% compared to Brodeur's .900. I also don't want to see Brodeur play in any game as long as the team is mathematically still alive.

Using Hockey-Reference's Goals Saved Above Average metric, Schneider now +5.17, Brodeur -12.09. Schneider also has a .921 5v5 SV% compared to Brodeur's .900. I also don't want to see Brodeur play in any game as long as the team is mathematically still alive.

And for the boneheads who blindly insist on going with the "Yeah...but...Marty still wins!" nonsense:

Since 11/23:

11-11-3 record, .893 save%, 2.78 GAA (with even this GAA being the result of low shot volume more than anything else). 

Not one thing there to suggest Marty will give his team any better shot at winning any given game than Cory would. 

Thing is, Columbus has three more games between today and Wednesday...a loss by us tomorrow and the doomsday scenario says we could be mathematically eliminated by Thursday, or realistically out of it anyway

Thing is, Columbus has three more games between today and Wednesday...a loss by us tomorrow and the doomsday scenario says we could be mathematically eliminated by Thursday, or realistically out of it anyway

Oh I know, I don't kid myself about the Devils' chances.  It's still a longshot.  They've already gotten more help than they had any right to expect. 

If the "doomsday" scenario happens, I give Marty the rest of the games after Calgary.  I definitely didn't like some of his quotes, and he definitely comes off as the stereotypical delusional faded superstar who can't differentiate what was from what is, but I am 100% on-board with him getting three final "legacy games", as long as there's truly nothing at stake, and that there is no way that he's back here next season.  Hopefully, if doomsday happens, he wins two of the games, and at least his Devils career ends on as decent a note as could be asked under the circumstances.   

I agree with all of you- no Marty unless and until we're mathematically eliminated. The thing that worries the living hell outta me is that Boston game means something and Pete starts Marty because it could be his last game as a Devil.

More like Lou would worry me in that situation...but I think that ship's finally sailed.  Marty didn't even make any public comments (for once) after being pulled on Monday.  Everyone knows this is Cory's ship now.