Their (Our) Own Personal Hell

devilsrule33

Sean Mcindoe of Grantland breaks down all 11 Devils shootout losses, so no one on this forum has to do it.

March 27: Coyotes 3, Devils 2

What Devils fans were thinking: Oh good, it had been more than two months and I was actually starting to enjoy life again.

The goalie: Brodeur

The shooters: Brunner, Clowe, Elias

Did anyone score? Oh shut up.

Highlights: Brunner works a ridiculous move on Thomas Greiss, then has it poked off his stick at the last possible moment. Needing a goal to extend it, Elias goes to the same backhand deke move he’s been using pretty much all year, and gets the same result.

How cruel was it in hindsight? I’m starting to worry about Patrik Elias, you guys.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/new-jersey-devils-shootouts-miserable/

Edited by devilsrule33

That Elias move is so fvcking lame, after looking at it for the 100th time.  You're never going to beat these huge goalies unless they really bite on the move, which they won't.

Time for a new move Patty.  And that BS fake slapshot thing doesn't count.

January 12: Maple Leafs 3, Devils 2

What Devils fans were thinking: Oh good, the Leafs again. There’s no way we can be more cursed than the Maple Leafs, right?

The goalie: Schneider

The shooters: Jagr, Clowe, Boucher

Did anyone score? Sigh. No.

Highlights: After van Riemsdyk scores, Jagr comes in slowly and then stops and dekes back and forth in front of Jonathan Bernier for so long that Bernier eventually pokes the puck off his stick just to put him out of his misery. There’s a weird unexplained pause before Tyler Bozak shoots in Round 3, during which everyone just stands around, presumably wondering what the point of continuing this charade could possibly be. Boucher’s magical run of successful attempts ends at “one,” which at this point basically makes him the Cal Ripken Jr. of Devils shootout streaks.

How cruel was it in hindsight? The Jagr move was fantastic. If it were up to him, I think he’d still be going.

How many guys scored on us with that same move Boedker did though? Goes back hand and lift it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the book on Marty.  Deke, throw it blocker.  Marty's glove is probably still money, but he's always been slow on the short side.