Backup Goaltender for Next Season - SCOTT CLEMMENSEN signed

Neb00rs

Cory's definitely not threatened now...he's going to get 65+ games for sure with who he's got behind him.  But it's REALLY scary to think what could happen if he ever got hurt.  

That's actually kind of the bright side of not signing a legit backup, Cory can now play 70 games.

A tandem of Clemmer and Kinkaid?  Yikes, yikes, and yikes.

:huh: ............ :huh: ............ :puke:

They're hoping Kinkaid wins the job.  Clemmer (I hope) was signed to be the #3 guy, a veteran with NHL experience who can step in if Kinkaid gets hurt or doesn't get it done.  I just can't believe he's the clear #2.   

Cory's definitely not threatened now...he's going to get 65+ games for sure with who he's got behind him.  But it's REALLY scary to think what could happen if he ever got hurt.  A tandem of Clemmer and Kinkaid?  Yikes, yikes, and yikes.

You can always trade for a guy midseason if you have to, goalies will be floating around all over the place.

You can always trade for a guy midseason if you have to, goalies will be floating around all over the place.

And Lou will if the unthinkable happens.  Of course, if #30 is unsigned, I wouldn't be surprised if Lou went that route.  But clearly the idea is that Kinkaid, Clemmer or some combo of them do a passable job backing up, and Cory does what we all think he can do as a 60-70 game NHL starter. 

Yep, Lou is hoping Kinkaid is ready.  Clemmer is a veteran depth signing:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/07/devils_will_sign_veteran_backup_goalie_steve_bernier_agrees_to_1-year_600000_deal.html

The Martin Brodeur era is officially over in New Jersey.

The Devils have signed Scott Clemmensen to a one-year, two-way contract that will likely see him play in Albany (AHL) this season, but gives the team insurance in goal.

"It will be a situation where it is a two-way contract. We hope Keith Kinkaid can be the backup goaltender (to Cory Schneider)," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "Scott knows the whole situation and he understands. We have confidence in Scott that if he had to play here he could."

Glad to see they think high enough of Kinkaid to sign a guy like Clemmensen, but Brodeur isn't gone until he signs with someone else.  Every other goalie on NJ has a two-way so Brodeur easily slides right back in if he wants to.

Agree.  If Clemmer and Kinkaid both look bad in preseason and the early regular season, and Marty is out there, I can't see Lou not kicking the tires. 

Let's face it, there's serious potential for the backup performance to be worse than what Marty provided last season...it won't be for nearly as many games of course, but it could be as bad as NHL goaltending gets.

Glad to see they think high enough of Kinkaid to sign a guy like Clemmensen, but Brodeur isn't gone until he signs with someone else.  Every other goalie on NJ has a two-way so Brodeur easily slides right back in if he wants to.

You stop it right now, just let me relax for once Tri :lol:

Seriously, this signing had me all but convinced Marty was officially gone.  

But then you had to come along...

"It will be a situation where its a two-way contract. We hope Keith Kinkaid can be the backup goaltender" general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "Scott knows the situation and he understands. We have confidence in Scott that if he had to play here, he could."

Can we end the paranoia now?

Edited by MadDog2020

"It will be a situation where its a two-way contract. We hope Keith Kinkaid can be the backup goaltender" general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "Scott knows the situation and he understands. We have confidence in Scott that if he had to play here, he could."

No, because of course Lou isn't going to say that he still wants Brodeur back.  It's not likely, but notice how a bunch of teams signed goalies today and Brodeur wasn't one of them?

No, because of course Lou isn't going to say that he still wants Brodeur back.  It's not likely, but notice how a bunch of teams signed goalies today and Brodeur wasn't one of them?

Yes I noticed it. Toronto could still be a possibility I guess. OR maybe Marty will wait for an injury and sign with someone then. 

Nabokov signs with TB. Let's hope reality comes knocking shortly for Brodeur

I think Toronto is the only team left, and they still have to deal Reimer.

"It will be a situation where its a two-way contract. We hope Keith Kinkaid can be the backup goaltender" general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "Scott knows the situation and he understands. We have confidence in Scott that if he had to play here, if he could."

I posted those quotes too.

I'd say the chances of Brodeur coming back are around 10% until he gets signed.  Low, but not 0%. 

Either this team is stuck on stupid, doesn't care, trolling for the lolz or all of the above. I don't care what the excuse is. You don't sign a backup worse than Marty and a former Devil at that. At a time when we missed the playoffs 3/4 years. No one else was available?

Edited by Marv4Life

Either this team is stuck on stupid, doesn't care, trolling for the lolz or all of the above. I don't care what the excuse is. You don't sign a backup worse than Marty and a former Devil at that. At a time when we missed the playoffs 3/4 years. No one else was available?

Are you seriously upset about a minor league signing?

Better hope Corey isn't out for an extended period. The Gionta signing didn't help my mood.

Why would a backup goalie sign here?  I mean, I'd like someone like Nabokov, but the Devils clearly have the intention of using Schneider for 65+ games.  Plus Brodeur carried the team in November and he can carry them again, if he re-signs here.  I wouldn't want to spend more than $1M on a backup.

Edited by Triumph

Lou will look like a fvcking moron if he signs Marty now after saying he wants Kinkaid to be the back-up.

I hear ya MD2020, but unfortunately it would only come as a mild shock to me if he somehow wound up back here.  I think Lou has a soft spot for him that's never going away.  Hope Kinkaid makes the most of his chance.

I hear ya MD2020, but unfortunately it would only come as a mild shock to me if he somehow wound up back here. I think Lou has a soft spot for him that's never going away. Hope Kinkaid makes the most of his chance.

The worst will be the interviews where he "wanted to be here all along"