Solving the Devils Shootout Woes (Free Agents)

Chimaira_Devil_#9

We all know where we stand, 0-12 is horrendous, and it has been a difference maker.

Personally i don’t believe its psychological for the majority of our shooters (Elias and Jagr and Henrique aside) i think it’s just a distinct lack of talent. The majority of our shooters just don’t have the hands.

I was intrigued as to who the Devils could bring in to solve this problem. So i decided to investigate the shootout records for this season so far of all the 2014 UFA forwards this summer.

Unsurprisingly about 100 or so UFA forwards didn’t have a single shootout attempt this season.

Here are the figures for all those that did and a few notable players who didn’t even attempt a shot.

Player		Shootout Attempts	Goals	Success RateGaborik, Marian »	2		2	100%Terry, Chris »		2		2	100%Hemsky, Ales »		1		1	100%Ott, Steve »		3		2	66.70%Moulson, Matt »		5		3	60%Setoguchi, Devin »	8		4	50%Selanne, Teemu »	4		2	50%Roy, Derek »		2		1	50%Grabovski, Mikhail »	12		5	44%Vrbata, Radim »		12		5	44%Vanek, Thomas »		7		3	43%Stempniak, Lee »	5		2	40%Jokinen, Olli »		8		3	37.50%Cammalleri, Mike »	6		2	33%Pouliot, Benoit »	3		1	33%Raymond, Mason »	7		2	28.60%Jokinen, Jussi »	8		2	25%Santorelli, Mike »	8		2	25%Alfredsson, Daniel »	10		2	20%Legwand, David »	5		1	20%Jagr, Jaromir »		5		1	20%Iginla, Jarome »	6		1	16.60%Bertuzzi, Todd »	7		1	14.30%Michalek, Milan »	8		1	12.50%Whitney, Ray »		3		0	0%Callahan, Ryan »	3		0	0%Koivu, Saku »		3		0	0%Bouchard, Pierre-Marc »	2		0	0%Handzus, Michal »	2		0	0%Sislo, Mike »		1		0	0%Heatley, Dany »		0		0	0%Stastny, Paul »		0		0	0%Gionta, Brian »		0		0	0%Bolland, Dave »		0		0	0%Samuelsson, Mikael »	0		0	0%Kulemin, Nikolai »	0		0	0%Downie, Steve »		0		0	0%Smyth, Ryan »		0		0	0%Moss, David »		0		0	0%

A player who tops a lot of peoples 1st choice free agent list (including mine) Paul Stastny, hasn’t had an attempt so far this year. So it seems unlikely that he would be able to help the situation (although with Duchene and O'Riley on the team its highly unlikely they ever really get to the stage they need to use Stastny). Either way he isn’t one of colorados go to guys.

Matt Moulson on the other hand, who is a player i also a player quite a few would like to see the devils take a shot at, has had decent success in the shootout this year (he was 100% with the Islanders before going to the wild).

Groboviski, Vrbata and Vanek all also have fairly decent records this year. I mean 40% of the time, they score every time!!!

In terms of value to be had, and bringing in a pure ringer for the skills competition (a la Viktor Kozlov) Chris Terry of the Carolina Hurricanes is a great shout. 100% success rate and only making the league minimum. alternatively guarantee success with Gaborik at the other end of the scale.

A player to avoid like the plague is Ryan Callahan. Many think he would be a good fit for the Devils, and as his shootout statistics suggest, he would fit in seamlessly with the Devils current shootout tactics..

Some interesting options.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Ok ,so i wasnt actually serious.

I woke up this monring and saw 0-12 and thought "really, how is this possible?". 

I just wanted to see if any of the guys who are UFA this year excelled.

I would still take Stasnty even though he hasnt played in the skills competition this year, and Moulson's skills would clearly be an added bonus.

The Devil's lack finishers. They need 2 bona fide scorers. True shooters. If you get those 2, or even 1, they will score in the shootout. Combine that with a fresh season for Henrique or maybe even Clowe and I think things might be better on both the goal scoring and SO front. I know getting that help is way easier said than done.

If I coached a team, I would mandate all my shooters use the same template every time so it would disguise tendencies. Look at that video of Oshie and every attempt against Russia was virtually identical up to the finish. I think teams have been freewheeling the SO and losing valuable points along the way. If you play a system for 65 minutes, why not have one for the SO, which determines those same 2 points?

Edited by hystyk28

The Devil's lack finishers. They need 2 bona fide scorers. True shooters. If you get those 2, or even 1, they will score in the shootout. Combine that with a fresh season for Henrique or maybe even Clowe and I think things might be better on both the goal scoring and SO front. I know getting that help is way easier said than done.

If I coached a team, I would mandate all my shooters use the same template every time so it would disguise tendencies. Look at that video of Oshie and every attempt against Russia was virtually identical up to the finish. I think teams have been freewheeling the SO and losing valuable points along the way. If you play a system for 65 minutes, why not have one for the SO, which determines those same 2 points?

What do you mean by "template"?!?

Edited by ThreeCups

just saying, michael ryder is a "scorer" a "pure shooter". It is why i was elated with his signing. the problem is when that shot isn't going in, or he doesn't have linemates doing the heavy lifting, he is an anchor

He is not a top 6 forward. I would say he is a perfect 3rd liner except he can't doesn't skate at all. The Des need a top 6 shooting forward. Think Iginla-esque.

Ryder is certainly one of my least favorite Devs of all time.

Radim Vrbata is the guy I want signed. He would help the offense and at least get 20 goals and 50 points and  his career shootout percentage on 82 attempts is 42%. He's at 20 goals and 50 points so far this year but with 255 total shots. If his shooting percentage this season was above 7.8% he would be having another great season.

? Zajac Jagr
Henrique Elias Vrbata

Edited by Zubie#8

I thought that's why Ryder was brought in, and Brunner. Both failed as did Clowe. All three are supposed "finishers'/shooters. Lou's experiment fell short. 

I have no interest in discussing how to 'solve the shootout.' Tell the guys to grow some balls and take the sticks out of their asses.

Pete, is that you?