Report: Ryan Malone arrested for drunk driving, possession of cocaine

Joonas #6

From what I've heard living in small town AHL city is that coke is very prevalent in the league.  Brian McGratten was a big time coke head and spent most of his time with Ray Emery.  It's likely they were doing lines together...  What is the NHLs policy for this type of drug testing?

I know this much: Malone is pretty much done as a member of the Lightning once they are eliminated from the playoffs.

I think he has more pressing issues Manta. Like getting his life back together.

MD, what a great line  (oops I just did that too  )

I laughed at the arrest report where it showed his employer as the Lightning...and his Occupation is listed as "Forward", instead of "Hockey Player"

Sad day for him, he's got lots of 'splainin to do...

Edited by BlueSkirt

From what I've heard living in small town AHL city is that coke is very prevalent in the league. Brian McGratten was a big time coke head and spent most of his time with Ray Emery. It's likely they were doing lines together... What is the NHLs policy for this type of drug testing?

I'd imagine coke is popular in a lot of sports leagues. Short acting, out of your urine in a few days, not physically addictive.

did a quick search on the nhl policy on drugs, but all of it was about performance enhancing drugs. They get tested up to twice a year without notice. I'd guess that he'll have to go to some sort of treatment if he wants to keep playing.

Nothing misunderstood. You cannot become physically dependant on cocaine. You can still become addicted, but these are two different things.

According to my gf who is a licensed professional mental health counselor specializing in addictions this statement is actually 100% true.

Nothing misunderstood. You cannot become physically dependant on cocaine. You can still become addicted, but these are two different things.

This is so ignorant. Silly and irrelevant point. The addiction occurs in the brain, that's obvious. But despite what the technical scientific categorization of cocaine is, it causes severe physical harm, because of the damage it does to your brain - your brain is part of your physical body by the way. You definitely can become physically damaged due to cocaine. Have you ever seen an addict dealing with cocaine withdrawal? You must not have ever been around the drug and thank your lucky stars for that. The distinction and point you made are unnecessary - are you trying to say that taking cocaine is a walk in the park? What does being physically addicted have to with being able to play sports at a high level? As if psychological and emotional dependency can't destroy the skills, thinking processes, and motivations of an athlete.

Edited by Neb00rs

This is so ignorant. Silly and irrelevant point. The addiction occurs in the brain, that's obvious. But despite what the technical scientific categorization of cocaine is, it causes severe physical harm, because of the damage it does to your brain - your brain is part of your physical body by the way. You definitely can become physically damaged due to cocaine. Have you ever seen an addict dealing with cocaine withdrawal? You must not have ever been around the drug and thank your lucky stars for that. The distinction and point you made are unnecessary - are you trying to say that taking cocaine is a walk in the park? What does being physically addicted have to with being able to play sports at a high level? As if psychological and emotional dependency can't destroy the skills, thinking processes, and motivations of an athlete.

Just picking up that one line, in terms of having seeing an addict dealing with cocaine withdrawl, they may be in emotional pain, but the actual, physical pain is actually very minimal to none at all.  In fact, it is generally accepted in the medical and psychological field that there really is no such thing as cocaine withdrawl.

From http://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/cocaine.htm

"The withdrawal symptoms of cocaine are emotional.There are no physical withdrawal symptoms from cocaine, which is why people sometimes trick themselves into thinking they aren't addicted to it. "I'm not physically addicted to cocaine." But there's no physical addiction and non-physical addiction – there's just addiction. All addiction occurs in the brain.

Even though there are no physical withdrawal symptoms, cocaine still satisfies the criteria of addiction. People have difficulty controlling how much they use, and they continue to use even though it has negative consequences to their life.

The emotional withdrawal symptoms of cocaine are:

• Tiredness
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Moodiness"
Edited by DevsMan84

You completely misunderstood my statement. Really not trying to say cocaine isn't dangerous or addictive, just saying that the fact that you cannot experience physical withdrawal symptoms when you stop using may be seen as a plus for an athlete. I'd imagine it's hard to get by as a heroin addict in the NHL, as you'd have to go clean at times and one would not be able to function as an athlete at that point as you'd be glued to the toilet, alternating between vomiting and diarrhea. If you're using cocaine, it's doable because of the lack of physical symptoms.

Edited by ATLL765

Just picking up that one line, in terms of having seeing an addict dealing with cocaine withdrawl, they may be in emotional pain, but the actual, physical pain is actually very minimal to none at all.  In fact, it is generally accepted in the medical and psychological field that there really is no such thing as cocaine withdrawl.

From http://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/cocaine.htm

"The withdrawal symptoms of cocaine are emotional.There are no physical withdrawal symptoms from cocaine, which is why people sometimes trick themselves into thinking they aren't addicted to it. "I'm not physically addicted to cocaine." But there's no physical addiction and non-physical addiction – there's just addiction. All addiction occurs in the brain.

Even though there are no physical withdrawal symptoms, cocaine still satisfies the criteria of addiction. People have difficulty controlling how much they use, and they continue to use even though it has negative consequences to their life.

The emotional withdrawal symptoms of cocaine are:

• Tiredness
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Moodiness"

I don't doubt that obviously. I understand there are no physical withdrawal symptoms - at least from what they technically consider physical. All I'm saying is that if you don't think an athlete can destroy his mind and body by using cocaine then you are just making a point to say "look at me, look what I know." It's an unnecessary point. Cocaine deteriorates the mind and that will leave incredible physical scars on the body - psychosomatic or not.

Taking cocaine causes different reactions in everyone, and the severity of the physical effects will differ depending on several factors. The purity of the drug, how frequently you take cocaine and your physical health all contribute to how your body will react to cocaine. While the effects of Cocaine use can vary, the typical reaction to taking this drug includes the following symptoms:

Elevated heart rate

Increased body temperature

Increased blood pressure

Constriction of blood vessels

Dilated pupils

Headache

Malnourishment

Severe paranoia

Psychiatric problems

http://drugabuse.com/library/cocaine-abuse/

The reality of cocaine hits after the high. Cocaine has powerful negative effects on the heart, brain, and emotions. Many cocaine users fall prey to addiction, with long-term and life threatening consequences. Even occasional users run the risk of sudden death with cocaine use. Read on for the not-so-glamorous truth about cocaine use and its effects (...)

Cocaine produces its powerful high by acting on the brain. But as cocaine travels through the blood, it affects the whole body.

Cocaine is responsible for more U.S. emergency room visits than any other illegal drug. Cocaine harms the brain, heart, blood vessels, and lungs -- and can even cause sudden death. Here's what happens in the body:

Heart. Cocaine is bad for the heart. Cocaine increases heart rate and blood pressure while constricting the arteries supplying blood to the heart. The result can be a heart attack, even in young people without heart disease. Cocaine can also trigger a deadly abnormal heart rhythm called arrhythmia.

Brain. Cocaine can constrict blood vessels in the brain, causing strokes. This can happen even in young people without other risk factors for strokes. Cocaine causes seizures and can lead to bizarre or violent behavior.

Lungs and respiratory system. Snorting cocaine damages the nose and sinuses. Regular use can cause nasal perforation. Smoking crack cocaine irritates the lungs and, in some people, causes permanent lung damage.

Gastrointestinal tract. Cocaine constricts blood vessels supplying the gut. The resulting oxygen starvation can cause ulcers, or even perforation of the stomach or intestines.

Kidneys. Cocaine can cause sudden, overwhelming kidney failure through a process called rhabdomyolysis. In people with high blood pressure, regular cocaine use can accelerate the long-term kidney damage caused by high blood pressure.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/cocaine-use-and-its-effects

You completely misunderstood my statement. Really not trying to say cocaine isn't dangerous or addictive, just saying that the fact that you cannot experience physical withdrawal symptoms when your stop using may be seen as a plus for an athlete. I'd imagine it's hard to get by as a heroin addict in the NHL, as you'd have to go clean at times and one would not be able to function as an athlete at that point as you'd be glued to the toilet, alternating between vomiting and diarrhea. If you're using cocaine, it's doable because of the lack of physical symptoms.

There is probably some truth to what your saying, but let's no pretend long-term it won't physically destroy an athlete.

I don't doubt that obviously. I understand there are no physical withdrawal symptoms - at least from what they technically consider physical. All I'm saying is that if you don't think an athlete can destroy his mind and body by using cocaine then you are just making a point to say "look at me, look what I know." It's an unnecessary point. Cocaine deteriorates the mind and that will leave incredible physical scars on the body - psychosomatic or not.

http://drugabuse.com/library/cocaine-abuse/

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/cocaine-use-and-its-effects

There is probably some truth to what your saying, but let's no pretend long-term it won't physically destroy an athlete.

Not gonna argue addiction can ruin a person. My only point was that you can't become dependant on cocaine and unlike say meth, a little cocaine isn't gonna have you up all night peeking through the blinds looking for the cops. Hard to compete at a high level if you never sleep.

With that in mind, my thought was that athletes would see these things as a plus if they were inclined to use drugs.

I also wouldn't be surprised if athletes, like those in the military, use some of the "synthetic thc" things sometimes called "spice" more than the general population.

Just gotta think the goal for them is how easy it will be to avoid detection in a urine test.

Edited by ATLL765

There is no arguing that during cocaine use that it can and will destroy your mind and body, so I agree on that point.  I was just saying that the physical withdrawl symptoms are pretty much nil.

In the grand scheme of things, all drugs have short and long-term affects on the body, and they are pretty much always bad.

Not gonna argue addiction can ruin a person. My only point was that you can't become dependant on cocaine and unlike say meth, a little cocaine isn't gonna have you up all night peeking through the blinds looking for the cops. With that in mind, my thought was that athletes would see these things as a plus if they were inclined to use drugs.

I also wouldn't be surprised if athletes, like those in the military, use some of the "synthetic thc" things sometimes called "spice" more than the general population.

Just gotta think the goal for them is how easy it will be to avoid detection in a urine test.

This is fair, I can't argue with this. It seems like you weren't coming from the place I thought you were.  :cheers:

There is no arguing that during cocaine use that it can and will destroy your mind and body, so I agree on that point.  I was just saying that the physical withdrawl symptoms are pretty much nil.

In the grand scheme of things, all drugs have short and long-term affects on the body, and they are pretty much always bad.

and this.  :cheers: