2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

We need the Penguins to win on Tuesday. Obviously I want the Rangers out as soon as possible but a Penguins loss might actually force to Shero to make the changes necessary for the Pens to become a playoff force. I mean how many times do you have to watch guys like James Neal, MAF and Letang melt down in the playoffs before you try something different. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Penguins suck, at this point ill be surprised if the Rangers don't win game 7. Oh well, I wouldn't expect anything less.

At this point I'd be shocked if they don't win Game 7.  Hell I'd be surprised if the Wild don't beat the Hawks at this point for that matter...the Hawks look like they caught hubris disease.

Yeah, in first rounds against sh!t teams. He can't run with the big dogs in the late rounds

When has Lundqvist ever had the better team and lost in a series?  I can't even say '09 against the Caps though they were 3-1 up.

Edited by NJDevs4978

When has Lundqvist ever had the better team and lost in a series? I can't even say '09 against the Caps though they were 3-1 up.

When has he ever had a weaker team and won is the question that I think we should be asking. The great ones find a way. If he wins in Pittsburgh Tuesday more power to him, that would probably be the biggest thing he's done in the postseason.

Bylsma really is awful. Nobody does less with more

Edited by Devils Pride 26

When has he ever had a weaker team and won is the question that I think we should be asking. The great ones find a way. If he wins in Pittsburgh Tuesday more power to him, that would probably be the biggest thing he's done in the postseason.

Bylsma really is awful. Nobody does less with more

Totally unfair. Unless you are saying Brodeur is not a great one. I can't think of one series where Brodeur ever found a way to win a series by himself or was the big difference for an underdog Devils playoff team.

Hate the Rangers. Hate Lundqvist, but let's not bring him down unfairly.

Totally unfair. Unless you are saying Brodeur is not a great one. I can't think of one series where Brodeur ever found a way to win a series by himself or was the big difference for an underdog Devils playoff team.

2003 Ottawa comes to mind right off the bat. People talk about Hank like he's a tremendous big game player or the second coming. Even the "king" moniker. What exactly has he won? In ten years in the league he has one trip to the conference finals where he was out dueled by a 40 year old
  • Like 1

2003 Ottawa comes to mind right off the bat. People talk about Hank like he's a tremendous big game player or the second coming. Even the "king" moniker. What exactly has he won? In ten years in the league he has one trip to the conference finals where he was out dueled by a 40 year old

I wouldn't say Brodeur was the difference. The Sens had a lot more talent, but the Devils were a historically good defensive team and Lalime was terrible at times. You need a better example than that.

I get many of you are around Rangers fans that want to crown him as the greatest goalie. He isn't that, but he is a damn good goalie and one of the best in the NHL. He's won an Olympic Gold. That's something.

If he loses this series, does he deserve to take blame? I guess it depends on what happens in game 7, but the Rangers have been shutout twice. They are the underdogs and Lundqvist has done his job to get them here.

A lot of success is all about situations, and Brodeur has been great but also in great situations. Lundqvist has not been in great situations. But guess what, he's got time, and he still has a chance to win a game 7 again.

The last 3 games of the 2000 ECF through the end of the finals that year.  Brodeur was an absolute beast during that stretch. 

• Like 1

Whether people want to claim Brodeur "stole" a series or not, during three Cup-winning runs, he put up save%s of .927, .927, and .934.  There's something to be said for simply being terrific, so that your team isn't in the position of having to overcome you.  A lot of team would kill for a goalie who can do that just once. 

McKenzie stated that there's a chance one of Malkin or Crosby are out if the Penguins blow the series. Not that I believe they would do that, but you have to think if the Pens don't win another Cup in their tenure, it's an absolute failure

Edited by SMantzas

just the hit to the back of the leg was enough besides the trip itself.

going back to the last lockout and the charity game in AC was marty vs hanky only in a light atmosphere...Lundqvist took it real damn serious and stopped like 30 shots in the 1st period lol...was an amazing performance by him. Marty was standing and  watching them go 5 hole, now you get the comparison was just a side note in sports psychology.

Whether people want to claim Brodeur "stole" a series or not, during three Cup-winning runs, he put up save%s of .927, .927, and .934.  There's something to be said for simply being terrific, so that your team isn't in the position of having to overcome you.  A lot of team would kill for a goalie who can do that just once. 

Brodeur was excellent in all 3 Cup runs, but the part that helps is being on great teams. For a decade he was on amazing teams. Even if people want to say the 2012 Rangers were a great team (I think mostly because of Henrik), and he disappointed by not having an excellent Conference Finals...that's 1 year.

Brodeur and the Devils have had plenty of disappointing exits in the playoffs as the Division winners or Conference Championships or just a favourite, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 (really bad in the Finals), 2002, 2006...There were some great performances there, but if we are judging him as harshly as some are judging Lundqvist...well there you go.

I don't want to debate Brodeur vs Lundqvist because it's not worth debating at this time and probably never will be. Lundqvist is a great goalie though. 

Edited by devilsrule33

The last 3 games of the 2000 ECF through the end of the finals that year.  Brodeur was an absolute beast during that stretch. 

Agreed.  I'm in the camp that thinks Brodeur has underperformed way too many times in the playoffs during his career but I've also always felt he never got the credit he deserved for that playoff run in 2000.  Everyone remembers Stevens and Elias from the Flyers game 7 but Brodeur made a ton of great saves on 30 something shots and he was interfered with on the only one that actually went in.  In the finals, we don't win the cup with the way Belfour was playing once he put down the cough syrup unless Brodeur plays the absolute best hockey of his career, which he did.  I know the stats were much shinier in 2003 when he played behind an airtight defense but 2000 will always be the crown jewel of his career for me.  

That being said, to DR33's point, the number of series where Brodeur was actually the difference in the playoffs in his career is embarrassingly low given his reputation and number of years he played in the playoffs.    

As for Lundqvist, he is a great goalie but there are a lot of black marks on his record as well when it counts.  Losing a shoot out to Brian Boucher in the last game of the season in 2010 to make the playoffs is another one that I did not see mentioned.      

Edited by Lateralous

Agreed.  I'm in the camp that thinks Brodeur has underperformed way too many times in the playoffs during his career but I've also always felt he never got the credit he deserved for that playoff run in 2000.  Everyone remembers Stevens and Elias from the Flyers game 7 but Brodeur made a ton of great saves on 30 something shots and he was interfered with on the only one that actually went in.  In the finals, we don't win the cup with the way Belfour was playing once he put down the cough syrup unless Brodeur plays the absolute best hockey of his career, which he did.  I know the stats were much shinier in 2003 when he played behind an airtight defense but 2000 will always be the crown jewel of his career for me.  

That being said, to DR33's point, the number of series where Brodeur was actually the difference in the playoffs in his career is embarrassingly low given his reputation and number of years he played in the playoffs.    

As for Lundqvist, he is a great goalie but there are a lot of black marks on his record as well when it counts.  Losing a shoot out to Brian Boucher in the last game of the season in 2010 to make the playoffs is another one that I did not see mentioned.      

I think that's true of all of the greats, though. It takes a good team to win the cup, so there will be series where the goalie isn't the be all end all. For example, nobody discredits Ken Dryden's Cups even though he played behind an all-star team for them. He had his moments when he stole a game or series and he had his moments where he was a passenger. I think the same goes for Brodeur and most high-end goalies. What makes the greats great is there ability to be the guy when it's their turn. Lundqvist still has that opportunity of course. He's only 32. Hell, this may be his year (shudder).

Brodeur was excellent in all 3 Cup runs, but the part that helps is being on great teams. For a decade he was on amazing teams. Even if people want to say the 2012 Rangers were a great team (I think mostly because of Henrik), and he disappointed by not having an excellent Conference Finals...that's 1 year.

Brodeur and the Devils have had plenty of disappointing exits in the playoffs as the Division winners or Conference Championships or just a favourite, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 (really bad in the Finals), 2002, 2006...There were some great performances there, but if we are judging him as harshly as some are judging Lundqvist...well there you go.

I don't want to debate Brodeur vs Lundqvist because it's not worth debating at this time and probably never will be. Lundqvist is a great goalie though. 

2006?  Nah, let's shelve that.  Brodeur wasn't great that year - well, he was very good in some games, and he put up a very solid SV% - but I don't think that was a great team by any means, it's just that luck made it seem like it was.  I also think it's silly to talk about 'playoff failures' with the Devils - that's just how it is with dominant teams generally.  NJ just had more years where they lost in the 1st round than you'd expect.

Part of the problem with 97-99 was that Holik would promptly disappear offensively in the playoffs (as would other players), and he was being counted on to score back then.  Marty really wasn't bad in 97 or 98.  In 99, he was bad enough (.856 save%) that SI wrote a blurb about how his career had reached a crossroads.  2000 squelched any further talk of that.