MadDog2020

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

2,364 posts in this topic

If you were wearing Devils gear two years ago and now you're wearing Rangers gear, then you were never a real fan to begin with. I can see people in NY jumping on the bandwagon- that's THEIR team. But people from Jersey? No. Sorry, that's garbage. You're from Jersey, and were wearing Devils gear in 2012, but now you're wearing Ranger gear? fvck the fvck right off. People who 'need' to cheer for a winner never had any kind of emotional attachment to a team before. They're fvcking phonies.

That's pretty much it.  They are not replacing their old Rags gear, they are either buying Rags gear for the first time after never caring about hockey or in some cases trading in their Devils gear from 2012 for 2014 Rags gear.  Pathetic.

Also was listening to Francesa on my lunch (big mistake on my part) and he actually had a Rags fan caller on the line.  The caller actually called Stephane Matteau "one of the greatest players in hockey history."  I kid you not.

No way in hell I want the Hawks to play the Rags. Rangers are good against those type of teams, just take away the slot and they are golden. I want the Kings to tear them a new one and grind the hell out of them.

That's pretty much it. They are not replacing their old Rags gear, they are either buying Rags gear for the first time after never caring about hockey or in some cases trading in their Devils gear from 2012 for 2014 Rags gear. Pathetic.

Also was listening to Francesa on my lunch (big mistake on my part) and he actually had a Rags fan caller on the line. The caller actually called Stephane Matteau "one of the greatest players in hockey history." I kid you not.

Lmfao. This is the type of idiocy we have to deal with. Yeah, he's right up there with Orr and Gretzky. A fvcking legend rofl. In all seriousness, I'm shocked those clowns haven't retired Matteau's number yet. Wait, that'll be next. And knowing them, they'd wait to do it on a night where we were playing them too. No sports-talk radio today for me, I only listen after Rag losses.

Sounds like general water cooler talk. We are guilty of it in other things (since we are all clearly sports fans, it won't be guilty with sports). Try and brush up on something you aren't really familiar with and talk about it.

I know you are dealing with this in NY/NJ, but this is just how the world works. I follow tennis year-round from the lower levels to the main tour. The average tennis fans just watches the Grand Slam if someone from their country is in it. In Canada, we now have a great male and a great women's player for the first time ever. People take notice 4 times a year if they go far. I've been watching these two rise up for 4-5 years and for me seeing someone I want to win would be the ultimate. For others, it would be incredible too, but I know it mean less. It is what it is and if it grows tennis in the country, so be it.

It's a shame, for whatever reason, when the Devils have had their Cup runs, it didn't take over major cities and the state. It's the way it is with their being Flyers territory and a Rangers fans in big pockets. The bandwagon wasn't as strong, but I am pretty sure everyone would love it if everywhere you went it was Devils pride all the time, even if it just started at that moment from people who weren't always interested in Devils hockey.

Thanks for the lesson on "how the world works." This is a Devils forum, and Devils fans who live in the NY/NJ area are discussing the incoming bandwagon of brand new Ranger fans who can name Lundqvist and 3 players from 20 years ago. We are going to be dealing with these fakes for years to come, and some of us just want to share our frustration with each other.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the lesson on "how the world works." This is a Devils forum, and Devils fans who live in the NY/NJ area are discussing the incoming bandwagon of brand new Ranger fans who can name Lundqvist and 3 players from 20 years ago. We are going to be dealing with these fakes for years to come, and some of us just want to share our frustration with each other.

I can't wait for the first Devs-Rags game at the Rock next year... Oughta be a blast with all the new phony 22-year old dickbag brah Ranger fans showing up in their Queen and St. Louis jerseys, inevitably spewing something to the effect of 'DUHHHHHH DA RAINGIZ WENT TO THE FINALS (or God forbid they should win it)/DA RAINGIZ WON DA CUP DA KING IS DA GREATEST GOALIE OF ALL-TIME DA DEBBIES ARE LOSERS DUHHHH 1994 MATTEAU'!!!! Yep. That'll be a blast. Edited by MadDog2020

Alright, but there is a difference between understanding the idea of bandwagons (yes, "how the world works", or "how sports work"), and just saying I hate how I now will have to deal with so many more Rangers fans than before. But, the idea that people who are getting Rangers fever are "pathetic" or "losers" or the worst people on earth, that I disagree with, regardless if anyone has to deal with them or not.

I'm so sorry that a few people talking Rangers hockey outside your office was so awful, I guess. As I have said, there is a difference in saying, "fvck now everyone I am around is talking Rangers, hockey" and giving sh!t to people because they don't deserve to be talking Rangers hockey or being happy.

That's all.

Edited by devilsrule33

I can't wait for the first Devs-Rags game at the Rock next year... Oughta be a blast with all the new phony 22-year old dickbag brah Ranger fans showing up in their Queen and St. Louis jerseys, inevitably spewing something to the effect of 'DUHHHHHH DA RAINGIZ WENT TO THE FINALS (or God forbid they should win it)/DA RAINGIZ WON DA CUP DA KING IS DA GREATEST GOALIE OF ALL-TIME DA DEBBIES ARE LOSERS DUHHHH 1994 MATTEAU'!!!! Yep. That'll be a blast.

Don't forget more of the loser 14-25 year olds coming to the Rock in their Rags gear when the Devils aren't even playing the Rags in that game.

Don't forget more of the loser 14-25 year olds coming to the Rock in their Rags gear when the Devils aren't even playing the Rags in that game.

Yep, the 'Kenny Agostino' type kids (you may remember the discussion about how Agostino grew up a Ranger fan in NJ. He admitted he went to Devils games to root for the other team). Can't wait to have more of those types of douchebags around...

Yep, the 'Kenny Agostino' type kids (you may remember the discussion about how Agostino grew up a Ranger fan in NJ. He admitted he went to Devils games to root for the other team). Can't wait to have more of those types of douchebags around...

1397389586155.jpg

Rangers fans are dumb and illogical? This is news to me.

Seriously though, fvck the Rags and their fans. The best part is when you have these Jersey kids who are all "Jersey Pride!" and "Bennies go home!" but they're Rangers fans. Some Jersey pride. I had some 18 year old kid on the train ask me how I could be from New Jersey and not root for the Rangers. I laughed in his face and told him to get the fvck away from me. No logic for those morons and their existence. I hope they get swept against a real goalie and I hope someone breaks Kreider's face in the process.

Edited by PWW

Watching all the bandwagon energy in action, I can't help but think of how damaging the lockout was to the Devils fanbase. They really had the opportunity to let a couple summer months go by and capitalize on the bandwagoners we got during that 2012 playoff run, but the lockout/4 months of no hockey pretty much put the kibosh on that.

Rangers fans are dumb and illogical? This is news to me.

Bo5EPEJIQAEBblG.jpg

"@BackhandedDevil: With the Rangers in the Finals, the Twitter Warning Center has raised the Douche-Con Level to ONE ... imminent danger"
Edited by DJ Eco

Don't forget more of the loser 14-25 year olds coming to the Rock in their Rags gear when the Devils aren't even playing the Rags in that game.

^YUPPP....

I can deal with the adult bandwagon fans. If the Rangers don't win the Cup, we won't have to deal with these people again until the Rangers reach the ECF again, whenever that happens. They come in and out of the picture, always have and always will.

It's the impressionable kids that are the annoying part of this all. Similarly, in the Devils' case, in 2012, this team with Kovalchuk and Parise was able to inspire local kids to get into hockey, they were easy elite players to start rooting for. Then we lost, then the lockout happened, then they were both gone. This became a tough team for a kid just getting into hockey to start rooting for.

Now this, the Rangers' run and all the storylines coming out of this season: Dom Moore's wife, St. Louis' mom, coming back from 3-1 against the Pens, Henrik Lundqvist being in his prime. We're going to have to deal with this, on the "new Rangers fan kids" end of things for many many years to come, whether they win the Cup or not. And that may be the most annoying part of all this.

Edited by DJ Eco

Alright, but there is a difference between understanding the idea of bandwagons (yes, "how the world works", or "how sports work"), and just saying I hate how I now will have to deal with so many more Rangers fans than before. But, the idea that people who are getting Rangers fever are "pathetic" or "losers" or the worst people on earth, that I disagree with, regardless if anyone has to deal with them or not.

I'm so sorry that a few people talking Rangers hockey outside your office was so awful, I guess. As I have said, there is a difference in saying, "fvck now everyone I am around is talking Rangers, hockey" and giving sh!t to people because they don't deserve to be talking Rangers hockey or being happy.

That's all.

I understand the idea of bandwagon. Hockey doesn't get mentioned in this area unless the Rangers are winning. I didn't give anyone sh!t. I said none of them knew a hockey stick from a croquet mallet last week, and now they are "lifetime Ranger fans." You'll notice that everyone else in this thread from NY/NJ understands the dynamic.

1 person likes this

I understand the idea of bandwagon. Hockey doesn't get mentioned in this area unless the Rangers are winning. I didn't give anyone sh!t. I said none of them knew a hockey stick from a croquet mallet last week, and now they are "lifetime Ranger fans." You'll notice that everyone else in this thread from NY/NJ understands the dynamic.

Bingo. This is way beyond bandwagon. This is people who dont even know the Rangers were a team until last week. These are people who think two goals get awarded if you score from beyond the blue line. These are people who would trash hockey any chance they get if the Rags werent in the scf. These are people who blatanly ignore and hate on the sport. These are people who have never heard of Henrik Lundqvist. These are your typical Ranger fans.

1 person likes this

Just wait- we should have a drinking game: every time some NY or national media talking head and/or columnist says how 'great it is for hockey' that the Rangers are in the Finals (or some variation of that), take a drink. You'll be sloshed 24/7.

I'll throw this in here to change it up and also because it is worth watching.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10938904

I've got nothing but respect for that dude. As much as I hated last night's result and detest all things Rangers, if they had to win, I'm glad Moore was the guy who scored the winning goal.
1 person likes this

Just wait- we should have a drinking game: every time some NY or national media talking head and/or columnist says how 'great it is for hockey' that the Rangers are in the Finals (or some variation of that), take a drink. You'll be sloshed 24/7.

No you would be dead.

Luckily, with Doc at the helm, he stays away from garbage commentary like that. The other guys, I'm not so sure about.

Amen

I would love to read the headlines....

The Real "Kings" sweep "The Queen!" ;)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

NY and LA have the biggest amount of bandwagon fans creeping out of the woodwork whether it's celebrities or "new" fans. It's always been like that. nothing new.  nothing new.

I can't wait for the first Devs-Rags game at the Rock next year... Oughta be a blast with all the new phony 22-year old dickbag brah Ranger fans showing up in their Queen and St. Louis jerseys, inevitably spewing something to the effect of 'DUHHHHHH DA RAINGIZ WENT TO THE FINALS (or God forbid they should win it)/DA RAINGIZ WON DA CUP DA KING IS DA GREATEST GOALIE OF ALL-TIME DA DEBBIES ARE LOSERS DUHHHH 1994 MATTEAU'!!!! Yep. That'll be a blast.

Especially when we suck next year and have Brian Gionta on our roster. Oh yea...can't wait.