Sign in to follow this  
William D'Aquila

Confirmed : DeBoer is back

EdgeControl    158

Re:  Ryder, he was disappointing.  Expecting 25 goals or so was not crazy on anyone's part...he scored 35 just two seasons ago, and was on pace for 29 last season.  He's also averaged 25 per 82 games for his career.  He hasn't always reached that average mark of course, but if someone had told us "Ryder will score 18 goals in 82 GP and will have a one-goal-in-33-games funk", I don't think too many of us would've said, "Guess that's OK." 

No one could really rightly "expect" any specific numbers out of Brunner...that was a "hope it works out" signing that pretty much didn't.  Sucks, but that happens. 

these were stop gap moves by Lou which he HAD TO make to try and fill a big void. but now its time to upgrade the two.

these were stop gap moves by Lou which he HAD TO make to try and fill a big void. but now its time to upgrade the two.

I agree, not knocking the moves because they were made. 

redruM    40

No one expected 30 goals out of Ryder. But that is beside the point. At one point Ryder had only scored once in 30+ games. That's unacceptable no matter how many points he accrued at other points during the season.

Exactly!

SterioDesign    261

No one expected 30 goals out of Ryder. But that is beside the point. At one point Ryder had only scored once in 30+ games. That's unacceptable no matter how many points he accrued at other points during the season.

I remember clearly Triumph saying Ryder would do "his thing" and bring 30 goals

thecoffeecake    158

Eh, I don't think Brunner is terrible. I think he has a lot of creativity he didn't show much of until the end of the year especially after we'd been eliminated. I hope we get to see him in the playoffs in a devils Jersey

Neb00rs    152

Eh, I don't think Brunner is terrible. I think he has a lot of creativity he didn't show much of until the end of the year especially after we'd been eliminated. I hope we get to see him in the playoffs in a devils Jersey

At this point, Brunner is the kind of guy you waive, and nobody ends up claiming.

Look at this way...Brunner needed a tryout just to get a contract.  Based on what he did this past year, think the other 29 teams that all passed on signing him are any more enthusiastic about him this season?

Brunner has speed, stick skill and a nice shot. He has looked good towards the end, potential there. Ryder is a dude, kind of like Ryan Howard(mlb) either he hits the HR or he Strikes out.

MantaRay    58

What a poor analogy ^ I have no idea who you are talking about.

Brunner has a lot of potential he just needs better work habits.

2ELIAS6    71

What Brunner needs is more hockey sense, could be waiting awhile for that to kick in.

and maybe some more confidence and a sense of direction.. so many times this season i thought to myself how lost this guy has looked out there.. it was strange he had a string of games where he was on fire and then for such a long time he was a complete ghost like he didnt exist out there.. i dont know, not the type of player we need around here though ..that isnt going to cut it for us

SargentD    31

TSN's Final Power Rankings of 2014

(as of April 14, 2014)

1 Boston
2 Chicago
3 San Jose
4 Pittsburgh
5 St. Louis
6 Colorado
7 Anaheim
8 Los Angeles
9 New York
10 Dallas
11 Montreal
12 Philadelphia
13 Minnesota
14 Columbus
15 New Jersey
16 Detroit

New Jersey Devils (35-29-18)

This Week 15

Last Week 19

Welcome to the best non-playoff team in the league this season, a Devils team with strong possession stats, a positive goal differential and a spectacularly abymsal 0-13 shootout record that made their overall record look far less impressive.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

devils102    9

I'm willing to give Brunner a bit of a pass this year simply because he was injured so much that I can imagine it being hard to constantly have to readjust to the system and his linemates each time he came back.

I feel like he never played enough games in a row for anything to become automatic.

Having said that, he was the only player who Pete Deboer kind of called out for a lack of intensity. That worries me.

Edited by devils102

I'm willing to give Brunner a bit of a pass this year simply because he was injured so much that I can imagine it being hard to constantly have to readjust to the system and his linemates each time he came back.

I feel like he never played enough games in a row for anything to become automatic.

Having said that, he was the only player who Pete Deboer kind of called out for a lack of intensity. That worries me.

He was also healthy-scratched at times.  Not all of his missed games were due to injury.

I wonder is Brunner is one of those guys PDB basically tells Lou to trade if possible, that Brunner is simply a player that PDB can't work with.   

Re:  potential with Brunner, again, he's not a 22 or 23-year-old kid.  He's already 28.  And what still sticks out to me is that he couldn't find a job until just before the start of the regular season.  Guys do fall through the cracks from time to time, no question, and under the circumstances, I fully get why Lou rolled the dice on him, but his first season with the Devils almost seem the validate the teams that thought "Yeah, had a feeling he wouldn't do much.  We didn't miss out on anything."

If you had to pick, would you rather have Brunner or Ryder? Tough question. Both need a center with good vision.

I'd lean Ryder just because of the proven track record.

Sneax    15

Brunner was getting alot better at playing our system near the end. I mean he' still a weak little dude but he was hard on the boards alot from what I saw in the last handful of games. That alone tilts me in favor of a brunner over a ryder.

Ryder is clearly a more proven goal scorer, but Brunner seemingly to me is the better over all player. They both suck in the defensive zone though.

Zubie#8    188

I'd rather take Brunner based on the better possession player. All Ryder can do is take a shot and needs to be hand fed the puck. At least with Brunner he is fast and can hold onto the puck long enough and he's younger. If he could get a 20 goal season next year it will be great, maybe he will show up to camp with more determination.

Edited by Zubie#8

Triumph    561

He was also healthy-scratched at times.  Not all of his missed games were due to injury.

I wonder is Brunner is one of those guys PDB basically tells Lou to trade if possible, that Brunner is simply a player that PDB can't work with.   

Re:  potential with Brunner, again, he's not a 22 or 23-year-old kid.  He's already 28.  And what still sticks out to me is that he couldn't find a job until just before the start of the regular season.  Guys do fall through the cracks from time to time, no question, and under the circumstances, I fully get why Lou rolled the dice on him, but his first season with the Devils almost seem the validate the teams that thought "Yeah, had a feeling he wouldn't do much.  We didn't miss out on anything."

He probably couldn't find a job because he had certain contract requirements.  It's not like NJ signed him for a 1 year, $1M deal - he got a multi year deal coming out of training camp, and was paid higher than the NHL average too.  I'm sure if he wanted a one year deal somewhere he could've gotten one.  

His April gives some hope that he can slide in here someday - 19 shots in 7 games.  There's clearly a talented player in there, it's just not clear whether Brunner will figure out the finer points of the game.

2ELIAS6    71

I think I rather have ryder.. when brunner goes missing he really goes missing and for long periods at a time.. only our luck that both of them happened to turn out to be basically a waste

coldply123    12

I like Brunner more than Ryder. He's younger and is a better puck handler. His assets outweigh his tendencies or limitations defensively and in fairness to Deboer he started giving Brunner more time with the work he was putting in and some confidence. Ryder is just so much more one dimensional than I expected and his skating has only gotten worse.

I also don't think Brunner, he really got fully up to speed after the knee issues. He was a burner early in the season and never quite returned with that same quickness and burst which hurt us since we are already a rather slow team in transition. I'd gladly go with Brunner than Ryder, I just don't know if we can dump Ryder at all.

coldply123    12

I think I rather have ryder.. when brunner goes missing he really goes missing and for long periods at a time.. only our luck that both of them happened to turn out to be basically a waste

Ryder went missing for more than a third of the season. He isn't much better than Brunner defensively either. At least Brunner has some quickness.

DevsMan84    538

Well with the Ryder and brunner discussion this thread has certainly turned into a Sophie's Choice of suckage.

coldply123    12

Both Bernier and Ryder killed the Devils this year with their play and inability as guys who could be relied on more in shoutout situations.

Winger is still a huge need for this team even if you think Boucher and Matteau could become players in the next year or two. Clowe is also a major worry going forward with these concussions and the trio of Elias, Jagr, and Zubrus are right at the end of their careers and risks with age. Moving Henrique to wing might help soften the blow but opens up the need for another centerman. Lots of issues still at forward and with the 4th line needing a reshuffle.