The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

sighhh when are we going to get atleast one exciting player to watch..closest we have is jagr but i miss having a star

Tried that already, see Kovalchuk.  I'd rather have an amazing collective of great players than 1 elite scorer.  Look at Columbus for all those years only having Rick Nash, you could also point to Carolina and Eric Staal.  Calgary with only Iginla usw. 

Why do you think teams play their best dmen against Crosby? Come on guys, Malkin is obviously amazing but I'd like to see him consistently go up against McDonagh.

He'd crush McDonagh.  And most everyone else. He's one of the best forwards in the world.

There is one test for me to know if Lou has 100% completely lost it as a GM: If he goes after Brian Gionta in the off-season.

Gionta is a perfectly capable 3rd line winger who is probably worth 3.5M on the open market.  2 years/7M for him, provided one of Ryder or Brunner is dispatched with, would not be a bad contract at all.

Gionta is a perfectly capable 3rd line winger who is probably worth 3.5M on the open market.  2 years/7M for him, provided one of Ryder or Brunner is dispatched with, would not be a bad contract at all.

Idk, I'm not sure if his speed is still there and I feel like it would be hard for DeBoer to be like, "Two Giontas! No WAY!"

i would accept gionta back on these terms.. have him replace one of ryder or brunner sounds like a dream right now

We said the same thing about Ryder last year lol

But yeah I don't get how it's the worst move in the history of mankind to bring Gio back the way some people make it out to be.  Granted, is it ideal to have another 30+ winger?  No...but like you said it would have to be more of a trade Gio for one of the two anyway.  

Now I know most of these guys will not be available at the time but 2015 has a pretty decent stable of UFA goalies at this point. I'm not as scared of Cory walking as I was. Again, I know most of these guys will be signed before they hit UFA, but hopefully Cory will too.

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2015&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

Fleury, Marc-Andre » G PIT 29 $5,000,000 2015 (UFA)

Schneider, Cory » G NJD 28 $4,000,000 2015 (UFA)

Niemi, Antti » G SJS 30 $3,800,000 2015 (UFA)

Anderson, Craig » G OTT 32 $3,187,500 2015 (UFA)

Fasth, Viktor » G EDM 31 $2,900,000 2015 (UFA)

Ramo, Karri » G CGY 27 $2,750,000 2015 (UFA)

Neuvirth, Michal » G BUF 26 $2,500,000 2015 (UFA)

Bishop, Ben » G TBL 27 $2,300,000 2015 (UFA)

Harding, Josh » G MIN 29 $1,900,000 2015 (UFA)

Budaj, Peter » G MTL 31 $1,400,000 2015 (UFA)

Enroth, Jhonas » G BUF 25 $1,250,000 2015 (UFA)

Ellis, Dan » G FLA 33 $900,000 2015 (UFA)

Talbot, Cameron »

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I don't want Gionta but I can live with signing him if it meant either Ryder or Brunner are gone. That's really the only way I'd be ok with it though.

Idk, I'm not sure if his speed is still there and I feel like it would be hard for DeBoer to be like, "Two Giontas! No WAY!"

Re-sign Stephen Gionta, sign Brian Gionta, and give Kelly Zajac a NHL deal - 2 Gionta's and 2 Zajac's in one line up! :P

I don't want Gionta but I can live with signing him if it meant either Ryder or Brunner are gone. That's really the only way I'd be ok with it though.

Re-sign Stephen Gionta, sign Brian Gionta, and give Kelly Zajac a NHL deal - 2 Gionta's and 2 Zajac's in one line up! :P

I do not see Gionta being an upgrade over Ryder or Brunner next season. He'll be 36, and it would just be another uninspired move by Lou.

I do not see Gionta being an upgrade over Ryder or Brunner next season. He'll be 36, and it would just be another uninspired move by Lou.

I definitely agree. It's more like rearranging deck chairs in a sense. I'd just be more apathetic about it than upset over it. I've already resigned myself to the likelihood of a Gionta reunion happening.

I know I should listen to the stats and want them to keep Ryder since he's a candidate to have a bounceback year but man, do I hate seeing him play for the Devils. Can't recall the last Devil player I disliked so much.

I'd like to see what Kelly has to offer at the NHL level for sure.  Just for curiosity sake, and he might turn out well.  I'm hoping Stephen Gionta isn't re-signed, but I have a feeling he will be....Let Bernier walk, keep Carter though.

I think it's almost a guarantee Gionta is a Devil next year, unless the Habs want him.

As others have said, it's a lateral move at best.. He's not much of an upgrade over Brunner and Ryder.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I definitely agree. It's more like rearranging deck chairs in a sense. I'd just be more apathetic about it than upset over it. I've already resigned myself to the likelihood of a Gionta reunion happening.

I know I should listen to the stats and want them to keep Ryder since he's a candidate to have a bounceback year but man, do I hate seeing him play for the Devils. Can't recall the last Devil player I disliked so much.

Agree with all of this.  Really hope Gionta is not back here next season.  If he is, and Brodeur is somehow back too, I think I'm pretty close to giving up on Lou. 

I still don't dislike Ryder as much as I disliked Rolston 2.0 and Rob Niederglider. Those 2 were infuriating to watch.

majority here do not want brian gionta back but i could totally see lou re signing him thats just a lou thing to do

I absolutely see Lou bringing back Gionta. He's like a kid in a candy store when there are available ex-Devils on the market. I honestly don't think this team is going anywhere as long as Lou is our GM. I know he's done great things for this organization and built championship teams, but his time has come and gone.

Trading for Havlat...ugh. 

There was speculation yesterday that if they can't trade him, they'll buy him out. I still don't want him but if he has no suitors and Lou got him for very cheap I won't complain (too much). Seems like a lateral move at best, a disaster at worst.