The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

The Devils weren't getting anything for Urbom.  At the point at which they might've, Urbom was worth more to them than he was in trade, so dealing him would've been foolish.  When his value dipped because he failed to make any progress, he was no longer worth very much at all.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/06/devils_and_cory_schneider_talk_contract_extension_goalie_wants_to_play_60_games.html#incart_flyout_sports

Schneider and Devils talking extension.

There have been discussions between Cory Schneider and the Devils regarding a contract extension beyond next season, but nothing will be done until there are reasonable assurances that he will be the team’s No. 1 goalie by playing about 60 games per season.

Schneider told The Star-Ledger a decision on a potential extension does not hinge on whether Martin Brodeur returns to the Devils next season, simply on whether he is viewed as the club’s long-term No. 1.

“Not necessarily. That’s out of my control, but that’s part of the discussions,” Schneider said. “Not just him, per se, but anybody who they would want to bring in or call up. It’s a discussion about if they want me to be the guy going forward, we have to figure out that part of it.

The money will sort itself out but what is clear is that he wants the starting gig. I don't see any reason why they won't give it to him. That signal needs to come from not re-signing Marty and perhaps signing an obviously made-for-backup-role goalie.

Edited by sundstrom

Glad to see Schneider forcing the issue.  We can't see another 50/50 split of games next year when one guys play was significantly better.  They also can't afford all the drama that comes with Brodeur anymore.  Time to move on from the Marty era for good and get Schneider locked down. 

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/06/devils_and_cory_schneider_talk_contract_extension_goalie_wants_to_play_60_games.html#incart_flyout_sports

The money will sort itself out but what is clear is that he wants the starting gig. I don't see any reason why they won't give it to him. That signal needs to come from not re-signing Marty and perhaps signing an obviously made-for-backup-role goalie.

Good stuff. Hopefully it will be made explicitly clear to Cory that he's the guy going forward. Get it done Lou.

Schneider told The Star-Ledger a decision on a potential extension does not hinge on whether Martin Brodeur returns to the Devils next season, simply on whether he is viewed as the club’s long-term No. 1.

See the bolded. 

“As far as going forward, if I can start playing 60 games next year and go from there, it will be a great spot. You sit back and realize there are only 30 starting positions in the league. If you can have one of them, that’s a good place to be. I’m looking to the future and what’s going to happen next season and behind that.” - Schneider

As for this, I've been saying this about the Schneider discussion since day one.  Schneider isn't stupid and he understands how scarce the starting jobs are in the league.  I predict a deal to be done before the summer is over, hopefully at no more than 7.5million/yr and preferably 5-7 years. 

Edited by RizzMB30

He can say what he wants to (Cory's always been a class act in interviews, I respect that) but you can't tell me the Devils finally saying goodbye to Marty wouldn't be something Cory is looking for.

Because you know Marty's getting at least 20-30 games next year if he comes back.

Good news, sounds like Schneider will get signed up eventually.

Hard not to like him based on the quotes we've seen him give from time to time.  And I can't blame him for wanting some guarantees, as to what his role is going to be.  We don't know for sure what kind of a 60+ start goalie he'll be, but what we do know is that he's done everything he possibly can to show that he deserves a bona-fide chance to prove that he can flourish as such.  The guy is a very good puck-stopper and has been for his entire NHL career to date.  At the very least, if he's either in a minor funk, or the other guy has a good game or two, Cory should at least have some reassurance that PDB isn't going to go running to the "hot hand" (especially when the "hot hand" is clearly a bottom-half goalie most of the time).   

Anyway, until Cory is actually signed (or MAF re-signs with Pittsburgh), I'll still wonder about Cory going there and MAF coming here (even if it seems like a longshot, which it is) for the 2015-2016. 

Look it's very simple, Brodeur can't be back here.  They can give all the reassurances they want to Cory - with what Pete DeBoer just said on the radio, Brodeur cannot be back.  It should not happen.  It shouldn't happen based on everything Brodeur told the press in February and March during his Trail of Tears series of press conferences.  And it shouldn't happen based on what Cory just told Chere.  This shouldn't even be a discussion that Cory Schneider should have to have with his general manager.

Cory says he'd liked to have had 50-75 more games - haha, that's nuts.  Schneider should've started 300 games by now.  The Devils and Canucks have cost him a shot at a Hall of Fame career.

According to Insider Trading, the TSN segment, Brodeur told McKenzie (or LeBrun, I forget who) that he is headed to July 1 with the intention of signing elsewhere.

Good to hear, I'd rather just have him retire but no way shape or form should he be on this squad.

According to Insider Trading, the TSN segment, Brodeur told McKenzie (or LeBrun, I forget who) that he is headed to July 1 with the intention of signing elsewhere.

Not really new news though. Brodeur was ready to go elsewhere after he told the media that Cory would be starting very early in the year. The question becomes would he rather retire than be a backup one more year in NJ.

Edited by devilsrule33

Look it's very simple, Brodeur can't be back here. They can give all the reassurances they want to Cory - with what Pete DeBoer just said on the radio, Brodeur cannot be back. It should not happen. It shouldn't happen based on everything Brodeur told the press in February and March during his Trail of Tears series of press conferences. And it shouldn't happen based on what Cory just told Chere. This shouldn't even be a discussion that Cory Schneider should have to have with his general manager.

Cory says he'd liked to have had 50-75 more games - haha, that's nuts. Schneider should've started 300 games by now. The Devils and Canucks have cost him a shot at a Hall of Fame career.

Err, all indications are that the Devils cost Schneider something like 15 to 20 starts, in the grand scheme of things. He was unfortunate to be playing behind a borderline hall of famer in Vancouver, when that goalie was not 42 years old and past his prime like Marty this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?storyId=11044435&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.hockeysfuture.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1685213%26page%3D2%22%7D

"I've had a lot of good conversations with the Devils, but I'm not inclined at going back at this point," said Brodeur, whose contract expires June 30. "I just feel that with Schneids (goalie Corey Schneider) the organization has to move on. Me being around might be tough a little bit for them. I don't completely put it out of the question (returning to New Jersey) but I don't want to mess up the cards for the Devils.

"At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where I go next, I'm always going to be a Devil. I'm always going to come back to the organization. But I want to play one more year. So I'll see what's out there."

• Like 1

"I look at what happened in the playoffs with certain goalies and certain teams, I wish I could have been there for them," chuckled Brodeur.

You KNOW he's talking about Montreal there.

I was thinking Pitt or Minny. Maybe even Chicago with how bad Crawford was. I don't think MTL with Price was/is in his thoughts.

I was thinking Pitt or Minny. Maybe even Chicago with how bad Crawford was. I don't think MTL with Price was/is in his thoughts.

Maybe... Although he might've been thinking to himself how cool it might've been for him to face the Rags in the playoffs one more time, in a Habs uniform of all the crazy things, once Price went down. But yeah, he could've meant a couple different teams I guess.

You know Schneider will be here long term by this line:

“As a Devil it’s not great to see the Rangers playing in the Final, but it’s good to see Alain back in the Final. I think he’s a great coach,” said Schneider, who played for Vigneault in Vancouver.

You know Schneider will be here long term by this line:

“As a Devil it’s not great to see the Rangers playing in the Final, but it’s good to see Alain back in the Final. I think he’s a great coach,” said Schneider, who played for Vigneault in Vancouver.

I missed that one, where did he say that? Classy of him to show his former coach some love.
  • Like 1

Checking out the TSN Insiders this evening, they mention a lot of teams have interest in a 21 year-old kid undrafted Czech, Jiri Sekac who had 28 points in 47 games for Praha in KHL as a 21 year old. He is from Kladno, Jaromir did play with him at the WC this year - I was wondering if anyone had seen the kid play on any level.

If this kid has an offensive potential, you'd think the Devils could have a leg up if they are interested given all of our Czechs.

Checking out the TSN Insiders this evening, they mention a lot of teams have interest in a 21 year-old kid undrafted Czech, Jiri Sekac who had 28 points in 47 games for Praha in KHL as a 21 year old. He is from Kladno, Jaromir did play with him at the WC this year - I was wondering if anyone had seen the kid play on any level.

If this kid has an offensive potential, you'd think the Devils could have a leg up if they are interested given all of our Czechs.

The stats paint the picture of an AHL player, I don't really see what would get GMs excited about this guy. Maybe he's a 4th line type?  His numbers don't suggest he is a top 9 forward at the NHL level.