The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

I wouldn't be opposed to him really, but the point to getting him would you could move Elias back to the wing, as well as Henrique, but both of those players can play center if injuries hit us hard. 

Yes. Grabovski would be kind of superfluous since you want Elias and Henrique in top-6 roles, probably on the same line.

No surprise that the Avs are shopping Parenteau, per MacKenzie I believe. Please don't take the bait Lou.

Would've loved if we got him as UFA a few years, always liked PA Parenteau. It would seem though that sending something substantial in a trade to get Parenteau has one of two end roads: that's either O'Reilly's or Stastny's money. I would guess Stastny, considering the talks have been that they're in contract negotiation. What he wants is probably too much, unless they dump Parenteau? Trying to get PA Parenteau shoots yourself in the foot if you were one of the teams who needed Stastny.

Edited by DJ Eco

Seems lik a no brainer to me to buy out Volch.

One more year of Salvador is a better option.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ah, i would much rather see Sal go.  I know Volch's contract is worse but I feel like hes more valuable than Sal is. Volch brings a dimension that no other Dman on this team brings, so i would consider Sal more of a "cutting the fat" option

Seems lik a no brainer to me to buy out Volch.

One more year of Salvador is a better option.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Salvador brings nothing to the table. He does not excel in anything. He's unscratchable because of the 'C'. With a logjam on defense, that alone makes him a better option to be bought out, but of course, that's good reason that the Devils wouldn't dream of buying him out.

They're both useless.  Volch is as immobile as anyone out there, and we'd be stuck with him for another two seasons.

Salvador is terrible too, but at least he's gone after this year.

I'm not disagreeing outright, just saying they're both terrible contracts for bad players.

David Booth being bought out in Vancouver, had some good years under Pete. Anyone take a cheap flyer?

I'd take a chance on Booth. My understanding was that he never reached the level that a lot of people thought he would. With such big names in play though, I am hoping Lou can get one of them to drink the  :koolaid:  and grab someone to help the first line. *Cough* first line center. 

David Booth being bought out in Vancouver, had some good years under Pete. Anyone take a cheap flyer?

I'd be a bit wary of a guy who hasn't put up decent numbers since 2011-2012. His shot rate dropped by almost 50% last year in comparison to the 3+ shots per game he was putting up from 2007-2012. If we sign him though, you'd almost have to get rid of Zubrus somehow to make room for him.

I'd want to but I don't see the space on the roster right now.  I think NJ would have to clear out two forwards for that to happen.

Leino is horrible.

Doesn't Booth have concussion issues? I'm not sure we can afford to take Booth on at such a risk with Clowe already a huge question mark.

As Tri said we would have to clear out at least another forward.

Are the Devils going to have room to sign anybody to this team this year?  It seems the Devils are going to roll with the same team as last year

Well, Marty being let go, and a buyout of Volchenkov/Salvador frees up a considerable amount of money right there, and those are just moves within our control/don't really cost us anything. Then as far as roster space is concerned, letting 2 of the CBGB line go frees up a few lower line roster spots. And that's not getting into trades yet. I'm pretty confident some significant changes will come about on July 1st... 

Sounds like Boston doesn't want to bring back Thornton. I'd love him on the fourth line for a year for two.

EDIT: didn't realize he's turning 37. Still, if Lou wants an enforcer for next season this guy would be a good choice since he can actually play some hockey.

Edited by Zubie#8

Well, Marty being let go, and a buyout of Volchenkov/Salvador frees up a considerable amount of money right there, and those are just moves within our control/don't really cost us anything. Then as far as roster space is concerned, letting 2 of the CBGB line go frees up a few lower line roster spots. And that's not getting into trades yet. I'm pretty confident some significant changes will come about on July 1st... 

I think the playoffs these past few years have shown us that having a 4th line that can play hockey and not just hit and fight is so valuable. So even if so called "top 9" forwards play the lowest min a game they could mix up lines, fill in for injuries, and keep minutes down in general which is a good thing when you have an older team.

Well at least we're not one of the to ten teams Spezza does not want to go to.  Not that I want him here, just nice that we're not that unattractive a place to go.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jason-spezza-s-no-trade-list-includes-canada--predators--isles--report-182638839.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I'd love to have Spezza, but we have nothing to make that trade work. He'll also sign a long-term extension that'll most likely be a disaster.

Well at least we're not one of the to ten teams Spezza does not want to go to.  Not that I want him here, just nice that we're not that unattractive a place to go.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jason-spezza-s-no-trade-list-includes-canada--predators--isles--report-182638839.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Poor Isles. Total pariahs.

Does anyone get nervous that Lou will keep the team basically the same as last year sans Marty and maybe Volchenkov? I can't see him getting rid of Sal or the CBGB line. I also think he may be under the impression that all the pieces are there to compete, as he's done many times in the past.

Does anyone get nervous that Lou will keep the team basically the same as last year sans Marty and maybe Volchenkov? I can't see him getting rid of Sal or the CBGB line. I also think he may be under the impression that all the pieces are there to compete, as he's done many times in the past.

Yep.

Although I think Lou will certainly try.  But he's tried before to trade some of the dead weight without much success.  And FA's are always a tossup..