2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 1:37 PM, Beezer34 said:

only the 6th time we've beaten New England over the last 7 years

thats actualy not that bad when u think about it honesty. ur talking about a dynasty. i would like my chances if i were a jets fan if the 2 teams play each other in the playoffs again

You watch games like this and wonder why Rex doesn't win more. Buffalo played a smart game. Buffalo was the antithesis of all things Bills this year. Sure there were plenty of holds that weren't called on Buffalo's O line but form the most part they played SMART.

Fitz played a disgusting stupid game. From the outset he had no touch or accuracy on anything, every pass was in the turf.

and he got no help. Millions of drops left and right.

Revis was torched today. Looked like crap, was abused and just flat out didn't belong on the field. Watkins owned him.

Our supposed dominant D-line never got near future hall of faker Tyrod Taylor. 

Fat sack of garbage Bullock with the miss. We'll never see him again in a Jets uni hopefully.

and what the fvck is Fitz doing, with a go-ahead field goal attempt in his pocket, doing forcing that ball in there on that INT when it was 17-19. YOU DONT JUST CLOSE YOUR EYES AND LOB IT WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE SINGLE COVERAGE

Sloppy, stupid, same ol Jets football

I had some faith in Bowles but...yea once again we find out...he's probably not the guy. They were not ready to execute today.

For all the laughing we did of Belichick taking the ball into the half at 10-3 last week Bowles taking the ball into the half at 16-7 was actually worse.  I want to like Bowles cause he's a good guy and the Rex antithesis but let's face it this team and this staff CHOKED badly in both Bills games this year.  And it won't get better next year with us playing the AFC North, NFC West and the Chiefs/Colts with a healthy Luck out of division.  They didn't take advantage of a great schedule this year and now will likely get a poor one next year.

And Mo with a broken leg late in the game, complicating further what they do with this supposed monster defensive line that really came up small today and for much of the season.  Only Mo and Snacks Harrison really lived up to their billing.  They need a LOT of changes in the back seven too, just too old and slow back there.  Revis Island needs to be closed once and for all, he's still an above average corner but can no longer be one-on-one with guys like Watkins and Hopkins.  Offensively they need to fortify the line and I suspect Ivory's a goner, he really dissapeared for the most part after getting hurt in New England only showing flashes the rest of the season.  He can't handle a feature role.  I don't know what you do at receiver, the #3-5 guys are okay if Devin Smith's a contributor next year but we're never getting another season as good as this one from Marshall unfortuantely.  Just sign Fitz to a two year deal, live with his idiosyncrascies next year and hope that Petty can take over after that.  He's definitely not taking this team to the promised land though, today proved that.  McKelvin saying we knew Fitz would be Fitz was low-rent though, especially considering he once played with him but he can go fvck himself on the golf course.

Edited by NJDevs4978

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

For all the laughing we did of Belichick taking the ball into the half at 10-3 last week Bowles taking the ball into the half at 16-7 was actually worse.  I want to like Bowles cause he's a good guy and the Rex antithesis but let's face it this team and this staff CHOKED badly in both Bills games this year.  And it won't get better next year with us playing the AFC North, NFC West and the Chiefs/Colts with a healthy Luck out of division.  They didn't take advantage of a great schedule this year and now will likely get a poor one next year.

And Mo with a broken leg late in the game, complicating further what they do with this supposed monster defensive line that really came up small today and for much of the season.  Only Mo and Snacks Harrison really lived up to their billing.  They need a LOT of changes in the back seven too, just too old and slow back there.  Revis Island needs to be closed once and for all, he's still an above average corner but can no longer be one-on-one with guys like Watkins and Hopkins.  Offensively they need to fortify the line and I suspect Ivory's a goner, he really dissapeared for the most part after getting hurt in New England only showing flashes the rest of the season.  He can't handle a feature role.  I don't know what you do at receiver, the #3-5 guys are okay if Devin Smith's a contributor next year but we're never getting another season as good as this one from Marshall unfortuantely.  Just sign Fitz to a two year deal, live with his idiosyncrascies next year and hope that Petty can take over after that.  He's definitely not taking this team to the promised land though, today proved that.  McKelvin saying we knew Fitz would be Fitz was low-rent though, especially considering he once played with him but he can go fvck himself on the golf course.

Bowles really did have a terrible game and it's games like this that make me worry if he's truly the right guy going forward. As in in game x's and o's coach who has a true feel for what's going on...not sure he's really the guy. Though to his credit this team is non nonsense and disciplined. But Ivory only getting 6 touches, Gailey having Fitz throw that high risk pass into the endzone when a FG gives us the lead (not that Bullock is a sure thing) Not being able to get off the field on 3rd and 4th down.

10-6 and no playoffs hurt. It's rare, but it's something we have to deal with. 

A lot of things that went right for us this year won't next. As you've stated...a possibly more difficult schedule. Tough to tell how many teams will be year to year but this year we lucked out with a horrible Dallas team, bad Giants team, below average Miami team (they usually beat us once) non competitive Cleveland. It probably won't be as easy next year.

Injuries. Relative to the rest of the NFL we had some pretty good injury luck. That may not be the case next season.

This is such a strange year that I'm having trouble processing the aftermath. The amazing Giants win that essentially got Coughlin fired and atoned for 2011. The huge Patriots win of just last week. Sweeping Miami. The mammoth years that Marshall and Decker had. Fitz finally emerging as a competent QB. It just seems like this season should've had...more to it.

Edited by '7'

21 hours ago, '7' said:

Bowles really did have a terrible game and it's games like this that make me worry if he's truly the right guy going forward. As in in game x's and o's coach who has a true feel for what's going on...not sure he's really the guy. Though to his credit this team is non nonsense and disciplined. But Ivory only getting 6 touches, Gailey having Fitz throw that high risk pass into the endzone when a FG gives us the lead (not that Bullock is a sure thing) Not being able to get off the field on 3rd and 4th down.

10-6 and no playoffs hurt. It's rare, but it's something we have to deal with. 

A lot of things that went right for us this year won't next. As you've stated...a possibly more difficult schedule. Tough to tell how many teams will be year to year but this year we lucked out with a horrible Dallas team, bad Giants team, below average Miami team (they usually beat us once) non competitive Cleveland. It probably won't be as easy next year.

Injuries. Relative to the rest of the NFL we had some pretty good injury luck. That may not be the case next season.

This is such a strange year that I'm having trouble processing the aftermath. The amazing Giants win that essentially got Coughlin fired and atoned for 2011. The huge Patriots win of just last week. Sweeping Miami. The mammoth years that Marshall and Decker had. Fitz finally emerging as a competent QB. It just seems like this season should've had...more to it.

In fairness, it was Bowles' first season as an NFL head coach, and he took a team that won four games last year (yeah, some will argue that they were a little better than that) and almost got them into the playoffs.  He had a fine rookie season, and I still think he was the right ying to follow up Rex's yang.

And speaking of Rex...this game was the typical Rex victory.  Sure, it was a big deal, but the problem with Rex is that it never seems to be about full seasons with him...it's always some game here and some game there that he mentally circles on the calendar, without realizing that all 16 games count, and that there's something to be said for a more even-keel approach across the board.  Great, he beat his old team twice and made the Jet fans' off-season excruciating.  But what about the other 14 games?  With Rex, it's never seems to be about the full picture. 

The big x-factor next season to me is Fitzpatrick.  Yeah, it didn't end well for him, but he played extremely well during that five-game win streak where the Jets had no margin for error, and had two very good games against the team that always ate him alive in the Patriots.  Everyone will remember this last game, which is unfortunate, especially since he was far from the only one to blame for yesterday's loss.  But does he regress in 2016?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Seen Thompkins take some flak for not making that catch, and I think it's unfair.  The other guy made a really nice play and knocked the ball away.  What was Thompkins supposed to do here?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000617018/article/kenbrell-thompkins-deep-ball-a-painful-jets-what-if

That was an almost impossible ball to hang on to. And even if he catches it he's hitting the turf there, not going to the house. So at best the Jets have like a 1st and 10 at Buffalo's 34 with one more play to run. Not exactly a sure thing. The Bills defender put his helmet on the ball, not like Kenbrell had a free run to the endzone.

That would have been a miracle ending we didn't deserve, on the level of the Baltimore playoff miracle in Denver a few years back.  I'm more down on Enunwa for HIS drops in the red zone early in the third quarter than Thompkins for that play.  The only mild criticism I might have of that play is he should have tried to stop and go back toward the ball after the deflection to make sure he gave himself a better chance to catch the ball but that's nitpicky considering he couldn't know the field was that wide open in front of him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

All week, I had a hunch the Bills would win. They just are a tough match-up for the Jets. And the Rex factor and it added up. Unfortunate conclusion for your team. They had a good season. But when you fail to show for the start against a beaten opponent, it gives them life. The Bills had a good strategy. The Jets I can't say the same. Too many undisciplined penalties. Failed chances. Kinda reminded me of the Giants. CR you're right about Rex. That's him to a tee. 8-8. 2-0 vs his former team. The Bills are a weird team too. Start great. Then fall apart. Then become spoilers. No wonder their fans are such nutcases.

Shame. What a shame. A genuine shame, shame, shame. The shame of shames, if you will. A shame in every sense of the term. Years and years from now, if someone were to say: “Word association, 2015 Jets.” --I would say, shame. Not just a shame that the Jets missed out on the playoffs mind you. No. The shame is the Jets missed out on something much more this season. Something far greater.. a championship. This year was easily the Jets best shot at a Superbowl since 1998.. and they flat out failed. Look at the landscape of the Conference. You have the Pittsburgh Steelers, who backed into the playoffs thanks to the Jets chock-job. The 9-7 Houston Texans, led by Brian Hoyer. The Denver Broncos, 5-4 over their last 9 games.. who still don’t know which QB is going to start for them when their playoff season begins. The Cincinnati Bengals, who are .500 over their last 8 games.. either going with a backup QB, or a rusty Dalton fresh off an injury. And the Patriots, who have lost 4 of their last 6, and will have Tom Brady (5 TD’s over his last 4 games) starting with a sprained ankle. I left out KC, because they’re the best of the bunch, but again.. meh. The Jets would’ve certainly been one of the sexiest teams picked to go all the way. They were white hot heading into the final game of the season, and getting hotter by the week. They were a team that other teams began to fear. And after a magical season of gasps, cheers, and OT wins.. they threw it all away. They squandered what could’ve been a season to be remembered forever, and have only themselves to blame. THAT is who the real villain(s) in this whole mess is.. not Rex. Rex will get the praise for spoiling the Jets season, but only because of the lasting impression. It wasn’t Rex that ruined the Jets season.. it was the Jets themselves. It’s not the fact that I’m bitter over 10-6 not being enough. It’s football, that happens. Some years 7-9 is enough to win a division.. other years 11-5 doesn’t even qualify. This was one of those years when the Jets needed 11 to make it happen. I get that. But win #11 shouldn’t have been NEEDED in Week 17.. it should’ve come way before that. It should’ve been against the Eagles in Week 3, when the Jets fell asleep in the second quarter and surrendered 24 unanswered points. It should’ve come again the Texans, when, again.. the Jets came out flat.. scoring only 3 points in the first half. It should’ve come against the Bills in Week 10.. yet another game when the Jets didn’t show up until the third quarter. The Jets didn’t just need to beat the Bills on the last game of the season to make the playoffs.. they needed to win 6 games in-a-row. They needed to run the table when they were 5-5. How often does that happen in the NFL? When teams find themselves in situations like that, they know their season was lost in October.. not January. The Jets started the year 4-1. They never should’ve been 5-5 at any point during the year.

This is a tough season to swallow. In alot of ways, tougher than even the 3 failed Championship games. This one hurts.. badly.

Agreed with some of it but the loss to the Texans now doesn't look AS bad since they went 7-2 down the stretch, but still TJ Yates?  Saying the rest of the AFC was mediocre ignores the fact WE were part of that mediocrity.  We took advantage of a bad schedule to go 10-6 and the only team with a winning record we beat was the banged-up Pats at home in OT.  Basically every AFC game's a weighted toss-up in the playoffs and that would have been true if we were in too.  Especially considering we stole some games we probably didn't deserve to win like the Giants game or the game in Dallas.

The season really boiled down to the two Bill games though.  You could sort of excuse the Eagles game, it was the very definition of a trap game - short week after they beat supposedly a beast of the East on MNF the week before the London trip.  The Raider game Fitzpatrick went out early in the game and they had a total flat WC game, which is par for the course with Jet teams.  But they had no excuse completely melting down in both Buffalo games.  

I still wouldn't say we were closer to a championship than we were after the 'Can't wait' game in NE in 2010 or at 10-0 in Denver in 1998.  I was probably more pissed about the game in Pittsburgh than the Denver game though, it seemed like we came out flat - and now it seems to be a pattern that whenever we beat the Pats we automatically come out flat the next week.  Denver was better in 1998 but still there was that moment where it looked like the Jets were going to the Super Bowl before it all came crashing down.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Watching Chiefs/Texans fall over each other in a bunch of sloppy miscues (and it's not even the 2nd quarter yet) really drive things home. The Jets are better than both these teams as they are currently constructed. They should be in the playoffs...though not necessarily this game...they'd be facing Aj McCarron tomorrow

The Jets had a season similar to 2000, where some scintillating regular season wins made you really feel there was more to be wrote regarding the 2015 Jets. The team right now, talent wise, is about as good as anybody in the AFC (mostly because Dalton is hurt)

Every AFC playoff game that is to be played is a coin flip. NE will probably get to the Super Bowl again, but they're beatable. Pittsburgh can be thrown on all day. Noodle armed Peyton can gag it up for Denver...we'd be as steady and well rounded and complete a playoff contender as you could find. 

What was Fitz thinking forcing the ball into Decker there with McKelvin reading the route. I still can't get over that. Or Bullocks miss.

Edited by '7'

I wouldn't say the Jets are better than KC (especially since Fitzpatrick showed he can still make bad decisions in a big game), but Houston sucks.  Awful.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/colin-kaepernick-49ers-jets-sources-article-1.2518118

Do not want. I think he's for the most part been figured out by the league. Too gimmicky, not a drop-back passer. Just don't want to go there. I say hope Petty develops, draft another guy, but don't go the Kaepernick route.

I'm fine with Fitzpatrick for now. 

Fitzpatrick will have the occasional WTF moment, but he seems like he's figured some things out to me.  I think he's going to be a fine and solid QB for the Jets for the next 2-3 seasons (assuming he stays).  I wouldn't upgrade over him unless it was clear that I would definitely be upgrading.  Kap is not that guy...he's a big-time question mark.

• 1 month later...

FA begins at noon, Fitz and the Jets not close to a deal and with prices for trash like Sam Bradford it wouldn't shock me at this point for Fitz to cash out. It'd honestly be better for both sides on the field if he stays but this is one time where I REALLY wouldn't blame the guy for cashing in. He's been a football gypsy that hasn't made QB money and this is his last chance to get some. Not to mention the Jets have cap issues and can't really afford to overpay a stopgap.

Edited by NJDevs4978

That really leaves us in a bind for 2016. Such a potentially promising year and we'd be left without a competent QB (and one with great chemistry with Decker/Marshall) It would be very Jet-like for them to bungle this. I have no idea who they'll turn to if not Fitz. All signs point to Petty not being ready yet.

If not Fitz we'll probably be looking at Matt Moore or Schaub as our starting QB in 2016. Or god forbid Tarvaris Jackson or RG3

Edited by '7'

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

FA begins at noon, Fitz and the Jets not close to a deal and with prices for trash like Sam Bradford it wouldn't shock me at this point for Fitz to cash out. It'd honestly be better for both sides on the field if he stays but this is one time where I REALLY wouldn't blame the guy for cashing in. He's been a football gypsy that hasn't made QB money and this is his last chance to get some. Not to mention the Jets have cap issues and can't really afford to overpay a stopgap.

Don't know what the Jets have offered him, but unless the Jets are really low-balling him I can kind of see this as a massive overreach.  Like it or not, Sam Bradford was the number pick overall not that long ago, and there's still a not insignificant possibility that he hasn't shown what he's capable of.  That comes with a premium. 

We know what Fitzpatrick is, and I can't imagine there are that many teams out there that are willing to pay him starting QB dollars. 

18 minutes ago, '7' said:

That really leaves us in a bind for 2016. Such a potentially promising year and we'd be left without a competent QB (and one with great chemistry with Decker/Marshall) It would be very Jet-like for them to bungle this. I have no idea who they'll turn to if not Fitz. All signs point to Petty not being ready yet.

Guess I posted too fast and forgot we weren't in 2015 lol

You're forgetting about one other QB still on the roster :whistling: Not that I want to see THAT happen but what else can they do assuming Petty isn't ready, overpay RG3?

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Don't know what the Jets have offered him, but unless the Jets are really low-balling him I can kind of see this as a massive overreach.  Like it or not, Sam Bradford was the number pick overall not that long ago, and there's still a not insignificant possibility that he hasn't shown what he's capable of.  That comes with a premium. 

We know what Fitzpatrick is, and I can't imagine there are that many teams out there that are willing to pay him starting QB dollars. 

If the market isn't what he and his agent think I could definitely see him coming back but given the season he had last year combined with the number of teams looking for anything at QB I could definitely see it being a bloated market for QB's 

Fwiw Fitz's agent is also Osweiler's agent. Other than RG3 they're probably the two most sought after guys in FA though Peyton finally retired so maybe he resigns with Denver now

Edited by NJDevs4978