2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Geno Smith? --no, not really. The 33 year old guy who's played 130 games, and has lost only 48 of them? Yeah.. him I'm kinda excited about.

No more Matt Simms to gameplan for anymore Daniel. No more Kellen Clemens, or Eric Ainge.. or Mark Brunell, Brady Quinn, Kevin O'Connell, Greg McElroy, David Garrard, etc.

Rowdy Rex has a QB now.. uh oh.. ;)

In the last three seasons, the Eagles have gone 12-16 in games Vick has played in, and he's been getting banged up to boot.  He'll also be 34 to start the season.  I'm not sure how big of a deal you should be making about him just yet.  He's a pretty big question mark himself.   

I'm not even sure Vick starts to be honest.  Not that he's not better than Geno at this point, but really what's the point of starting him - he's only getting hurt anyway.   He's only made it unscathed through a 16-game season once in his career and that was before his time in the big house.  You might as well start Geno and then have Vick as a nice insurance policy if Geno himself gets hurt or he blows up the first month.

Another very good move.

..sure is. The kids had about 500 yrds on 100 attempts last season, and @ only 24 years of age, why not see if he can develop into something?

Jets claimed former Rams back Daryl Richardson off of waivers today. They have a ton of RB depth.

Johnson, Richardson, Goodson & Ivory.. fans have already nicknamed them; Ivory & Sons, with the pun on "sons" being that ¾ of last names end with -son. If they keep all 4 tailback's I'd be very surprised.. but with injury being a possibility, who knows.

image_zps4a3b6ebd.jpg

..sure is. The kids had about 500 yrds on 100 attempts last season, and @ only 24 years of age, why not see if he can develop into something?

Two years ago actually (98 carries for 475 yards as a rookie).

http://www.nfl.com/player/darylrichardson/2534789/careerstats

Last year wasn't nearly as good but nothing wrong with bringing him in...the Rams gave up on him insanely quick.  He had a couple different injuries last year but looked like he could be pretty good two years ago.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Johnson, Richardson, Goodson & Ivory.. fans have already nicknamed them; Ivory & Sons, with the pun on "sons" being that ¾ of last names end with -son. If they keep all 4 tailback's I'd be very surprised.. but with injury being a possibility, who knows.

image_zps4a3b6ebd.jpg

forgot powel

forgot powel

I also didn't mention Green.

Chris Ivory, Mike Goodson, Alex Green, Daryl Richardson, Chris Johnson, Bilal Powell..

..pretty nuts to think that half those guys won't make the roster.

I think this signing basically covers for when the Jets drop Goodson.

Or it could mean the Jets are trying to swing a trade with another team for a Corner? Maybe Richardson's signing is meant to supplement Powell being moved. Just thinking out-loud.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/6/14/5809646/the-new-york-jets-reach-out-to-brandon-flowers

Over the last 2 seasons, Erika Esola predicted CJ2K, Josh Cribbs, Kellen Winslow & David Nelson, before anyone else.. and nailed them all.

..that being said, I would feel very, VERY confident heading into next season with BF opposite DM on my team. The Front Seven is without question the strength of the defense. But a secondary comprised of: Brandon Flowers, Dee Milliner, Dimitri Patterson, Calvin Pryor, Kyle Wilson & Dawan Landry.. ain't that bad either. If guys like Ras-I Dowling, Ellis Lankster or Dexter McDougle step-up in camp\preseason, then great.. releases will be easier to make on cut day. But the Jets shouldn't have to DEPEND on that. Get Flowers in here as an insurance policy.. sign Ed Reed to rub off some veteran presence on guys like Bush, Allen & Walls.. and you did one hell of a job making this secondary respectable. Plenty of cap space to get it done. Make it happen Idzik.

• 1 month later...

Hheeeeeee's Baaaaaaaaaaaaack........

http://www.zamzar.com/download.php?uid=6ee67ce9ba32a5df6896f85eba38cadd-86a8cb16c1c93a4c&targetID=pmVo4ovEoklD6h7F90sLTw_I_I&fileID=p1933df0v3k0h6dj5q8aftgfq4.gif

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/rex-ryan-patriots-should-worry-about-jets-not-other-way-around-072114

"Somebody recently asked me, if we [the New York Jets] focus on New England. Bullsh*t! We're focused on us. We're focused on us, and how we're going to be better. That's what we focus on. I have to be honest here, I don't worry about them [New England Patriots] at all. They need to worry about us, not the other way around. I think that's really where we're at right now." --Rex Ryan

Is this the return of Vintage Rex? --I sure have missed this guy. :thumbsup:

Edited by Beezer34

I'm trying to figure out why exactly Rex has regressed back to the old bloviating, a$$hole Rex... Its not like anything earth shattering happened this offseason that should make him this confident. Outside of the d-line, which is top 3 or 4 in the league no doubt, there is not a whole lot about the Jets that scares me.

Hheeeeeee's Baaaaaaaaaaaaack........

amd-rex-ryan-yelling-jpg.jpg

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/rex-ryan-patriots-should-worry-about-jets-not-other-way-around-072114

"Somebody recently asked me, if we [the New York Jets] focus on New England. Bullsh*t! We're focused on us. We're focused on us, and how we're going to be better. That's what we focus on. I have to be honest here, I don't worry about them [New England Patriots] at all. They need to worry about us, not the other way around. I think that's really where we're at right now."  --Rex Ryan

Is this the return of Vintage Rex? --I sure have missed this guy. :thumbsup:

It's all pretty innocuous stuff.  His statements to the media matter to the fans and the media, but doesn't really effect things on the field. 

good signing. Low risk high reward. Does he have some mileage on him? Sure...but at least he gives us a credible situational pass rusher who can bring down a QB. This is a Jason Taylor 2010 signing...which also worked for a year.

Jets still have $ to spend. Wouldn't shock me if they added another corner once cuts begin. Or we could see the return of Ed Reed as on on-field coach/mentor to Pryor.

Edited by '7'

good signing. Low risk high reward. Does he have some mileage on him? Sure...but at least he gives us a credible situational pass rusher who can bring down a QB. This is a Jason Taylor 2010 signing...which also worked for a year.

Jets still have $ to spend. Wouldn't shock me if they added another corner once cuts begin. Or we could see the return of Ed Reed as on on-field coach/mentor to Pryor.

There's still alot of veteran names out there. Jonathan Vilma, Asante Samuel, James Harrison.. and the Jets certainly have the money to add a few for depth of they wanted to.

I too think that Ed Reed with be back with the Jets this season.

There's still alot of veteran names out there. Jonathan Vilma, Asante Samuel, James Harrison.. and the Jets certainly have the money to add a few for depth of they wanted to.

I too think that Ed Reed with be back with the Jets this season.

I think Reed is done. He looked like a shell of his former self last year. If he's smart, he'll hang 'em up and cruise into Canton in 2019.

This is a Jason Taylor 2010 signing.. which also worked out for a year.

You bring up a very interesting point by mentioning JT. The glitz that went into the success of that 2010 team that won 13 games, was without question the CB combo of Revis & Cromartie. But alot of the success that came from that defense, came from the depth on the front seven. Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Trevor Pryce, Jason Taylor, Bart Scott, Mike DeVito, B. Thomas, Sione Pouha, etc.. it was a thing of beauty to behold.

Now.. 4 years later, we have completely rebranded that seven-man line.. and I honestly feel as though we're even deeper than we were in 2010.

Our secondary might not be the most accomplished group in he NFL. But with what we've got upfront.. they may not need to be. If everyone on defense stays relatively healthy, we might be looking at a very special season.

babins a bit of a journey man, on the downside of his career. i doubt he does much

Two things I liked about his play last year. #1) He was healthy, played all 16 games. #2) He finished the season strong, registering 6 sacks through the last 7 games.

Yes, JB's past his prime.. but you're still talking about a guy with 50 sacks since 2010. He brings poise, and veteran leadership. Plus he's being added to an already deep front seven. Playing with guys like: Pace, Harris, Richardson, Mo, Snacks, Coples, Douzable, Barnes, Ellis, McIntyre, Davis.. we're stacked! Opposing teams won't be doubling him, because they simply can't afford to. There's too many other players to keep your eyes on.

Babin won't be asked to do too much here in New York that's for sure.

The glitz that went into the success of that 2010 team that won 13 games, was without question the CB combo of Revis & Cromartie. But alot of the success that came from that defense, came from the depth on the front seven. Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Trevor Pryce, Jason Taylor, Bart Scott, Mike DeVito, B. Thomas, Sione Pouha, etc.. it was a thing of beauty to behold.

Now.. 4 years later, we have completely rebranded that seven-man line.. and I honestly feel as though we're even deeper than we were in 2010. Our secondary might not be the most accomplished group in he NFL. But with what we've got upfront.. they may not need to be. If everyone on defense stays relatively healthy, we might be looking at a very special season.

the dif is in 2010 u had the 3rd best defense in the nfl. last season the jets didnt even finish in the top10

the dif is in 2010 u had the 3rd best defense in the nfl. last season the jets didnt even finish in the top10

In terms of yards given up as well as yards per game, last year the Jets defense was 11th (seattle's to no surprise was 1st)

The Jets also had the 3rd best rush defense in football last year

If the secondary can be even average, the Jets will be back in the top 10 easily

I always thought the notion of league rankings was overrated. (and I'm not just saying that because the Jets weren't Top 10 last season either) It's a statistic that's relative NOT to how poorly your team may be playing.. but to how the rest of the league has improved. In 2010, the Jets ranked 3rd in the AFC.. and 3rd throughout the entire NFL. Last season the Jets defense ranked 11th throughout the entire NFL.. and 4th in the AFC.

We play 4 NFC teams this season.. why the hell should I even care where their teams rank?!   :noclue:  The important thing is where my team finishes\ranks in the Conference they play in. That's ultimately what's going to matter in getting the Jets into the playoffs. The Jets defense has ranked Top 5 in the AFC, every single season Rex has been here. THAT's what matters to me.

I always thought the notion of league rankings was overrated. (and I'm not just saying that because the Jets weren't Top 10 last season either) It's a statistic that's relative NOT to how poorly your team may be playing.. but to how the rest of the league has improved. In 2010, the Jets ranked 3rd in the AFC.. and 3rd throughout the entire NFL. Last season the Jets defense ranked 11th throughout the entire NFL.. and 4th in the AFC.

We play 4 NFC teams this season.. why the hell should I even care where their teams rank?!   :noclue:  The important thing is where my team finishes\ranks in the Conference they play in. That's ultimately what's going to matter in getting the Jets into the playoffs. The Jets defense has ranked Top 5 in the AFC, every single season Rex has been here. THAT's what matters to me.

plus an offense can really effect what position the defense is put in. The Jets committed a ton of turnovers last year, they had a lot of 3 and outs...that put a lot of strain on a D that would've likely looked better with even a league average O.