Confronting the Nightmare - UPDATE: NIGHTMARE OVER, KINGS WIN!&#33

Neb00rs

Those articles villifying Quick seem a little overdramatic in my opinion.  He only played there as a freshman and maybe also as a sophomore depending on which of those articles has their facts straight.  Teammates and coaches from the high school team he played half or most of his high school hockey with were invited.  He only has one day with the Cup, he's not going to invite every single teammate or coach he's ever had.

Rangers are a team of destiny.  It appears to be that way.

I just can't believe that with the system they play and the mish-mosh of "star" players they always try to build a team around. How it's working for them now I have no idea. Usually, they just rent a few big names and force them into playing like a team with the lesser guys, which eventually blows up in their faces. Gretzky, Messier, Leetch, the list goes on...they play them up so hard then retire their jersey.

If it must be Rangers/Kings, go Kings.

Those articles villifying Quick seem a little overdramatic in my opinion.  He only played there as a freshman and maybe also as a sophomore depending on which of those articles has their facts straight.  Teammates and coaches from the high school team he played half or most of his high school hockey with were invited.  He only has one day with the Cup, he's not going to invite every single teammate or coach he's ever had.

He had his entire childhood in Hamden.  He learned hockey in Hamden. Saying he spent one year playing for our high school is so fvcking lame and misleading.

Brian Leetch went to Old Avon so he's got this wonderful idea in his head that he's something special if he plays up his dumbass school. And I'd be OK if that were really all it was.

Fact is -- He has his tart wife,  nouveau fortune and about the ONLY thing which MAY lend him any real credibility in his neighborhood: his private schooling.  Now he thinks he's part of some club by an albeit thin thin thread not realizing he has no part of and never will.  So HA!  He's putting on airs and denying his true roots.  He's a stupid man barely out of his early 20s and has totally fvcked up values.  If you're going to make the transition do it fvcking RIGHT.   Honoring where you came from is that start to real quality.  He's endemic of the entire flash and trash taking over the global mindset. 

:)   but let me tell you how I really feel...

I saw your post about Quick, Hamden and the Cup and decided to Google it to see what the fuss was about. Now I have a better understanding of your disdain for the guy.

(Town celebrates Quick's success)

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20120612/nhl-hamden-celebrates-stanley-cup-win-by-jonathan-quick-video

(Quick snubs town)

http://articles.courant.com/2012-08-11/sports/hc-jon-quick-stanley-cup-0811-20120810_1_jonathan-quick-party-nice-time

I guess the least he could've done was invite his old coach to the party, yes?

Maybe the coach was an a$$hole to him

He had his entire childhood in Hamden.  He learned hockey in Hamden. Saying he spent one year playing for our high school is so fvcking lame and misleading.

Brian Leetch went to Old Avon so he's got this wonderful idea in his head that he's something special if he plays up his dumbass school. And I'd be OK if that were really all it was.

Fact is -- He has his tart wife,  nouveau fortune and about the ONLY thing which MAY lend him any real credibility in his neighborhood: his private schooling.  Now he thinks he's part of some club by an albeit thin thin thread not realizing he has no part of and never will.  So HA!  He's putting on airs and denying his true roots.  He's a stupid man barely out of his early 20s and has totally fvcked up values.  If you're going to make the transition do it fvcking RIGHT.   Honoring where you came from is that start to real quality.  He's endemic of the entire flash and trash taking over the global mindset. 

:)   but let me tell you how I really feel...

I guess he maybe could have done something for the town since that's where he got his start, but it seems like he'd rather enjoy his one day with the Cup with people he knows personally.  Not every player has some kind of celebration open to everyone in their hometown, I don't understand why Quick is being singled out here.  As for the coach, I still don't agree with him being upset after coaching Quick for one or two years.  Is he supposed to invite every coach he's ever had?

Oh absolutely -- dude can do whatever he wants and anyone who wants to can like him for that or any other reason. . 

I get to not like him and cast unfounded judgement.  :evil:

I dont even know him :giggle:  I don't know the coach either beyond Rainbow cleaners -- like, just the building  I dont even know if I ever even saw him in there  - haven't lived there in 26 years!

I've finally more or less gotten over 2012, a trouncing by the Kings on the Rangers would certainly help. The Kings are one hell of a team. They actually have a system, and their road to this Final was about as tough as you could ask it to be. I hope they win tonight, rest up, and get ready to embarrass the Rangers next round. I don't think the Habs win in 7, but they did more than I thought they were capable of last night and shook the Rangers up, made this series longer than it had to be, which is only a good thing. Who knows, maybe they pull it off in 7? One team already has this postseason haha..

hope after tonight, the Kings are waiting on the other line for the Rangers to fly their tired bodies over for a rough series.

Edited by DJ Eco

No better place to drink the memory of this away than on Bourbon Street in New Orleans

2 shots of Everclear please!!

And on queue a group of Devils fans just walked into the bar so everyone is getting sh!tfaced tonight!!

• Like 1

No better place to drink the memory of this away than on Bourbon Street in New Orleans

And on queue a group of Devils fans just walked into the bar so everyone is getting sh!tfaced tonight!!

Have seven for me.

Have a Hurricane or three on me!

#3 right here sir! Thinking I'll plop a $50 down and tell the bartender to keep them rolling until my eyes cross

yduzumuj.jpg

Dedication to a most worthy cause indeed!

Okay, so we venture on into the night. We play this carefully from here on out. We cannot go into the Finals guaranteeing ourselves that the Rangers will lose. I sure as hell hope it to death but this thread has helped me brace myself and ease into being ready for the worst.

Oh....and drinks all around on me. Brandy and scotch, put on your best suits men, we are going to watch this ship sink with pride damn it.

Edited by Neb00rs

It's all setting up for them though...the Hawks and Kings are beating each other up and the Kings will probably go to the Finals with as many games played or even one more.  Or the Hawks drain themselves coming back from 3-1 and have zero rest while the Rags get five days off before Game 1 and another two off before Game 2.

It's all setting up for them though...the Hawks and Kings are beating each other up and the Kings will probably go to the Finals with as many games played or even one more.  Or the Hawks drain themselves coming back from 3-1 and have zero rest while the Rags get five days off before Game 1 and another two off before Game 2.

If the Kings win tomorrow, they'll have five days of rest before Game 1.  That should be enough time to make fatigue negligible.

Woe is us now...

Meh, what are you going to do?  The nature of sports is cyclical.  Hopefully, you get to root for a team like ours, where the truly awful down cycles are either nearly non-existent, or relatively short-lived (we'll see how long this one lasts, but at least in among the three non-playoff seasons was a memorable Cup run).  In a perfect world (my version, anyway), the Rangers would suck every year.  But in today's NHL, it's hard to be hapless season after season after season, unless you have a lot of drafts go belly-up, insanely rotten luck, or your front office is constantly making awful decisions.  And with the playoffs having more of a crapshoot feel now than ever, it's all about getting hot (with a little luck thrown in) at the right time...home ice and seedings simply don't mean a whole hell of a lot.  In general the Rangers are playing pretty well right now, and though the circumstances are clearly very tragic, St. Louis losing his mother seems to have somehow brought those players together...not in a "Let's win one for St. Louis and his mom!" way, but the way his teammates were there for him just seems to have brought them together and made them closer, and that appears to be helping them on the ice. 

As much as I hate the idea, if the Rangers do win the Cup, so be it, but like others have alluded to, I don't want to hear comparisons to '94.  Those teams are nothing alike...just let the 2014 bunch be the 2014 bunch without trying to create artificial parallels for the sake of manufacturing a storyline that isn't there.  And I also don't want to hear anything about what a "genius" Glen Sather is, and how he never lost it after all of these years.  Glen Sather has largely been a bad GM in his Ranger tenure, and I'm going to guess his earlier Ranger track record would've gotten him fired from at least 20 other organizations, if not more.  No one has a 14-year-or-so plan to win a Cup. 

Sometimes you get some random luck too.  You don't draft a goalie in the 7th round (205th overall) thinking you've found your franchise netminder.  Just like the New England Patriots got lucky with Tom Brady (6th round, 199th overall), the Rangers struck gold with Lundqvist.  I'm not knocking them for it...more just saying that I don't want to hear revisionist historians now make it sound like Sather knew something everyone else didn't.  If Sather or anyone else know Lundqvist had a definite future as a reliable top-tier #1 goalie, no way anyone takes a chance on him slipping through their fingers when he's there for the taking in the 3rd round, 4th round, etc. 

But enough of that...I don't want to go into pure "sour grapes" mode.  Yeah, the Rags are in the SCF.  Yeah, I hate that they are.  Yeah, I hate that the pendulum has swung the other way.  I'm not going to start spewing accolates, but at the same time, I don't want to now start downplaying or minimizing what the Rangers have done to make me feel better about myself or the Devils.  The Rangers have accomplished what they've accomplished, and all of the "yeah but"s we try to attach to what they've done won't change anything.  They faced who they faced and they beat them.   

For me, now it's about wondering what the Devils have to do to get back to where they were...actually, in today's NHL, it's what can the Devils do to get themselves back into the playoffs (where seemingly anything can happen)?  I'll always hate the Rangers and the majority of their fans for the reasons I've stated multiple times, but now, instead of worrying about them (though I'll be rooting VERY hard for their SCF opponent), I'm going to concern myself with how do the Devils get back to being what they were (with new faces), regardless of the amount of time it takes them to get there.  Hopefully that starts with Lou NOT re-signing Gio and Marty.            

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3