Confronting the Nightmare - UPDATE: NIGHTMARE OVER, KINGS WIN!&#33

Neb00rs

For me, now it's about wondering what the Devils have to do to get back to where they were...actually, in today's NHL, it's what can the Devils do to get themselves back into the playoffs (where seemingly anything can happen)?  I'll always hate the Rangers and the majority of their fans for the reasons I've stated multiple times, but now, instead of worrying about them (though I'll be rooting VERY hard for their SCF opponent), I'm going to concern myself with how do the Devils get back to being what they were (with new faces), regardless of the amount of time it takes them to get there.  Hopefully that starts with Lou NOT re-signing Gio and Marty.            

Very much agreed with all the bolded.  In response to the first bolded, I think we were close this year, the defense had growing pains this year that they are trying to get through and I think they took a step forward in terms of developing.  If Marty or Schneider were able to steal a few more games, maybe playoffs.  In a positive light, we have a good top pairing in Greene and Fayne, 3 brooding youngsters in Gelinas, Merril, and Larsson, throw in Salvador, and Volchie.  My expectations of next year are some of our young forwards to take a similar step forward and hopefully they can pull off playoffs.  We had the same situation when Zajac and Parise were growing into NHL players.  The team has had a history of strong drafting and smart trading to fill in those gaps where drafting failed.  My hope is that more recent drafting will put a few quality forwards into roster either this year, or next year and that we aren't years away from having a capable offense.  If the team has a rough start coming out of the gates next season, I see Lou flipping one of the young defensemen for a forward, but I would be surprised of something like that happens this offseason. 

I'd welcome Carter back with open arms, has always been hard working and his play really stood out towards the end of the season when we had players going down from injuries.  Bernier was pretty bad, and Stephen Gionta was Stephen Gionta.  Gionta is likely to be back and I'm not going to be happy about it. 

At the very least, we're in for at least 20+ years of 2014 programming. They still replay Knicks 94 playoff games and they didn't even win the damn thing. Just glad we weren't involved in them getting to where they are.

No doubt. Even if they don't win the Cup, the NY media and MSG and the Rag fans will try and spin this into some legendary run and try and tell the world why we should care so much that 'THE RANGIZ MADE THE FINALS BRAH!!!!!' It'll be force-fed like 94 and all the Rag fans will insist that this is the most important run to the Finals in hockey history because Rag fans gonna Rag fans 'cause they're Rag fans. Edited by MadDog2020

At the very least, we're in for at least 20+ years of 2014 programming.  They still replay Knicks 94 playoff games and they didn't even win the damn thing.  Just glad we weren't involved in them getting to where they are.  

Eh, that's because the Knicks haven't won in 40 years.  They hardly ever play 1999 footage and that team made the Finals too.  

All I say is, whatever the outcome of the SCF, that us Devils fans shut our mouths and take it like men and worry about our own house.  No need for bad karma.

I agree with the sentiment, publicly, such as in public and social media situations, but be damn well sure that on this website we are free to let it all hang out, LOL.

I agree with the sentiment, publicly, such as in public and social media situations, but be damn well sure that on this website we are free to let it all hang out, LOL.

Damn right. This is the only place Devils fans can come for therapy from this sh!t lol.

Yea, as disgusting as the possibility of the Rags winning the cup is, we shouldn't make ourselves look like idiots and run our mouths.  In other words, don't be like how SOME Rags fans were like back in 2012.  And to be fair to the few Rags fans who were douches in 2012, they did lose to us, so in a way you can understand why they were being douches.  It's not as if the Rags beat the Devils this year.

Like Mad Dog said, if you have to let off steam, we should do it here.

I just checked Facebook for the first time all day... I wish I didn't lol. My friend who's a big Rag fan said he was watching CNBC (a business network mind you) this morning and they came back from commercial twice with that hilariously bad goal song playing. He excitedly exclaimed that everyone has 'Ranger Fever'. It really is sickening.

All I say is, whatever the outcome of the SCF, that us Devils fans shut our mouths and take it like men and worry about our own house.  No need for bad karma.

Oohh.....I am a bad example.........my hatred of the Rags has spewed in my social media and the karma isn't playing out very well right now!

If this team weren't the Rangers, they'd be likeable. It's a team that's not here on superior talent, that's for sure. You can't often say that a Ranger team is greater than the sum of its parts. This one is. I think they'll be champions.

Resume gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. :D

• Like 1

I don't think so, they are definitely the underdogs no matter who wins on Sunday.  The Kings and the Blackhawks have really dominated the league in the past 2 or 3 years now.  They are just dominant teams.  They're well coached, well-built, you name it.  You can try to argue against it but the results they get speak for themselves.  Hopefully a team in the East besides Boston can step up and be as dominant. 

I don't think so, they are definitely the underdogs no matter who wins on Sunday.  The Kings and the Blackhawks have really dominated the league in the past 2 or 3 years now.  They are just dominant teams.  They're well coached, well-built, you name it.  You can try to argue against it but the results they get speak for themselves.  Hopefully a team in the East besides Boston can step up and be as dominant. 

The Blackhawks and the Kings certainly have better players and are better teams. I would not argue against that, and either team will be a favorite over the NYR. But if either West team loses, it wouldn't be the first time a better team got beat.

This guy who's a father of one of the kids on my son's Little League baseball team, who for weeks has been talking on and on about either the Yankees or the NBA playoffs, all of a sudden showed up at the game today today wearing a Rangers T-shirt and talking about how exciting it is that they are going to the finals

I was sitting there thinking to myself, Dude, you're from New Jersey! Just because the Rangers play in New York and everyone's talking about them doesn't mean you have to now start rooting for them too! F'ing dick!

The Blackhawks and the Kings certainly have better players and are better teams. I would not argue against that, and either team will be a favorite over the NYR. But if either West team loses, it wouldn't be the first time a better team got beat.

It really doesn't happen often in the Stanley Cup Finals. Devils over Wings in 95, Pens over Wings in 09, maybe Bruins over Canucks in 2011.

I think the Rangers beating either team would be the biggest upset since Devils over Red Wings.

That a$$hole had a Devils shirt two years ago 95. You know he did. I raged about these types of douchebags yesterday. They're the fvcking worst.

Does this really exist? I mean, how can you wear different apparel of teams that are bitter rivals? I can't fathom this at all. Do you actually know people like this, MD2020?

The fact that he is from NJ and jumps on the Rangers bandwagon is bad enough.

If so, I guess this is an underlying issue with the importance of hockey in that area where you can trade teams that easily from NJ to NY.

Edited by devilsrule33

Does this really exist? I mean, how can you wear different apparel of teams that are bitter rivals? I can't fathom this at all. Do you actually know people like this, MD2020?

The fact that he is from NJ and jumps on the Rangers bandwagon is bad enough.

If so, I guess this is an underlying issue with the importance of hockey in that area where you can trade teams that easily from NJ to NY.

Thankfully, I don't personally know anyone like this- but these people exist. DevsMan84 was talking about it yesterday too with some of the people in his building who had Devils gear in 2012 that were wearing Ranger sh!t yesterday. There is a certain group of people that just hop on the 'local team' bandwagon when an area team does well. It happened back and forth with the Giants and Jets too. The same idiots that were wearing brand new Jet jerseys when they went to those back-to-back AFC Championship games, were wearing brand new Eli jerseys when the Giants won the SB in 2011. They have no regard for the rivalries involved, and aren't real fans. Calling these types of people 'casual fans' may even be an insult to casual fans. Edited by MadDog2020