The 2014 World Cup- Brazil

This about sums up the whole soccer flopping thing.

I was a very unhappy man when that cross came in, but we at least can still move forward.

Like goat says, the US is still in a really good position. A point out of their last game, or a Portugal win/draw basically means going forward (assuming we or Ghana don't get blown out).  I think we can all root against Ghana one more time can't we?  :)

This about sums up the whole soccer flopping thing.

I was a very unhappy man when that cross came in, but we at least can still move forward.

Like goat says, the US is still in a really good position. A point out of their last game, or a Portugal win/draw basically means going forward (assuming we or Ghana don't get blown out).  I think we can all root against Ghana one more time can't we?  :)

Ehh Portugal seems to be out of form.  Ghana played Germany fantastically and truth be told, probably should have gotten at least a draw against USA.  For the U.S., getting a point out of Germany will be extremely difficult considering they still have something to play for.  We'll see

My biggest fear is the US will lose 1-0 to Germany and Ghana will win 2-1 or 3-2. The US and Ghana would then be tied on points and goal differential but Ghana would advance on goals for. Don't want to get knocked out by Ghana again. That scenario prevented me from sleeping last night.

Ready for your head to explode?

[Drawing lots to determine who moves forward] could also happen to the United States and Portugal, though it’s a long shot. If the United States loses to Germany, 3-0, and Portugal defeats Ghana, 2-0, on Thursday, both teams will have four points, a goal differential of minus-two and four total goals apiece. As we all know, the two teams tied 2-2 on Sunday.

Not a big soccer guy but the World Cup has been very fun to watch. Last night's game was a heartbreaker. They were literally ~30 seconds away from advancing. I don't know if Michael Bradley is supposed to be one of the team's better players but he's easily been one of its worst so far. 

I don't have much expectations versus Germany, so let's go Portugal (without much goal scoring!).

Not a big soccer guy but the World Cup has been very fun to watch. Last night's game was a heartbreaker. They were literally ~30 seconds away from advancing. I don't know if Michael Bradley is supposed to be one of the team's better players but he's easily been one of its worst so far. 

I don't have much expectations versus Germany, so let's go Portugal (without much goal scoring!).

He is and he's been terrible so far.  Their other star Dempsey has been amazing, though

• Like 1

Joe and Evan were interviewing Eric Wynalda, and Wynalda was pretty harsh in his criticism of Bradley:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2Fredirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2Fd0%2Fd1%2Fd5%2FdK%2FdX%2FdM%2F15KXM_3.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5562437509483620789_dTOp1f4zbQxGjixW6a9mu2emg8A&podcast_name=6-23+Joe+and+Evan+with+Eric+Wynalda&podcast_artist=Joe+and+Evan&station_id=91&tag=&dcid=CBS.NY

Good to see you're still alive, lol.

Watched a lot of the US-Portugal game and it was definitely charged and entertaining, but soccer players really have to stop falling like they've been shot seemingly damned near every time there's contact.  That is beyond annoying. 

And stoppage time is silly.  What's so difficult about stopping the damned clock when there's a reason to (goal scored, out-of-bounds, injuries, etc)?  Just because it's tradition doesn't mean it isn't backwards.  I think starting and stopping the clock would have to be a lot more accurate than throwing some added time on at the end of each half.     

When you ask the average American who isn't into Soccer why they are not they usually give the same 2 reasons: 1) It's boring and 2) they are a bunch of fakers.  1 is usually fixed by exposing the person more to the game and usually after 1 or 2 live games they get hooked.  2 however is going to be the big challenge, especially here.  Diving is so ingrained into the sport that it's at the point where I hear some announcers explain that diving is actually good strategy to either slow the game down or get a foul at an opportune moment.  It's basically accepted especially since it is popular in countries where contact sports tend not to be very popular, especially in France because they are just a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkies.

When you ask the average American who isn't into Soccer why they are not they usually give the same 2 reasons: 1) It's boring and 2) they are a bunch of fakers.  1 is usually fixed by exposing the person more to the game and usually after 1 or 2 live games they get hooked.  2 however is going to be the big challenge, especially here.  Diving is so ingrained into the sport that it's at the point where I hear some announcers explain that diving is actually good strategy to either slow the game down or get a foul at an opportune moment.  It's basically accepted especially since it is popular in countries where contact sports tend not to be very popular, especially in France because they are just a bunch of cheese-eating surrender monkies.

I watched a vast majority of the EPL this year, and I don't think I remember seeing an eighth of the diving I'm seeing in the World Cup.  Perhaps it's just indicative of the game at this level vs the club level?

I haven't listened to this yet but knowing Wynalda, it was probably spirited. That guy really gets worked up. He's like the anti-McBride lol.

The diving is a major turnoff for sure, regardless of the reasons behind it (strategy, etc.).  Not only does that make the players look like a bunch of bad actors and complete pussies, but to "superior" Americans, that adds to the idea that soccer/futbol is loved by a bunch of inferior, backwards, third-world and "lesser" nations who don't know any better and don't realize how silly the whole diving aspect of World Cup soccer looks.   

And I think the timekeeping aspect doesn't help.  Americans like precision and accuracy in their sports...there's a reason why MLB, the NHL, the NBA and the NFL have so much reviewing now (including making sure that the time left on the clock is accurate)...we want to make sure as much as possible is called correctly (even though the flow of too many games is clearly being adversely affected).  The "running-clock-let's-throw-a-seemingly-arbitrary-number-of-minutes-on-the-clock-with-no-real-explanation-of-how-we-figured-out-how-much-time-to-add" aspect is pretty archaic, and seems kind of loose.  The first thing I thought when those four (which became five) minutes were added was "Where is he getting that number from?"  Americans who question such things probably don't want to hear "Well that's how it's always been done, so deal with it."

Not saying the World Cup should re-vamp things just to appeal to the U.S. (especially when we're a pretty small percentage of who's watching), but this event could stand to pull in a lot more American fans with some tweaking to its format (and a LOT less diving and writhing).  

I haven't listened to this yet but knowing Wynalda, it was probably spirited. That guy really gets worked up. He's like the anti-McBride lol.

It was.  That's the first time I've ever heard him.  I like him...he clearly has a genuine enthusiasm for the sport.

Deservedly harsh. He has been disastrous so far. He is a lovely player usually, but Wynalda nailed it I think with the part about how he is to laissez faire (sic?)

It was.  That's the first time I've ever heard him.  I like him...he clearly has a genuine enthusiasm for the sport.

If you ever get a chance or have an interest, check out the Fox Soccer coverage for Champions League matches. I'm not the biggest fan of Fox Soccer and think NBC has done a far superior job with the Premier League, but Fox is a bit of fun if you don't take it too seriously. Usually Wynalda finds something to get worked up about and Warren Barton joins in. Brian McBride is the calming influence who coherently makes points and likes to be a bit more tactical. The only time I remember McBride getting worked up was when Wynalda/Barton were just laying into David Moyes. Meanwhile Rob Stone host and is very enthusiastic, though some people don't like his shtick. The main complaint with Fox Soccer is the combo of Gus Johnson/Wynalda broadcasting games - it's brutal - hopefully gets better for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups that Fox will broadcast. I prefer the Europa League broadcasts when John Strong/McBride partner up.

I watched a vast majority of the EPL this year, and I don't think I remember seeing an eighth of the diving I'm seeing in the World Cup.  Perhaps it's just indicative of the game at this level vs the club level?

Its more to do with the culture of the league you are watching. South American football is THE worst for diving.

Its also pretty bad in Spain and Italy, the Premiership and the Bundesliga are far more combative, and you really notice the style clash and culture clash in the champions league. Tackles that wouldn't even be a foul in the Premiership are yellow cards out there.

As a Liverpool supporter, all I have to say is...

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

Let's not get it twisted...bite aside, the Italians played for the tie and got burned.  They did not deserve to move forward at all.

Italy was unable to score in their last 2 games and is going home for a reason, I agree with you there. They did get screwed by the ref though, not just the missed red card for suarez.

FIFA looking into Suarez incident, could face a 2 year or 24 match ban.  Does that affect his club play or just his international play?

Good. Being a soccer noob I didn't know this guy had these kinds of incidents more than once before. Amazing. What a fvcking squirrel-face clown.

Edited by nmigliore