Doc in NHL 15

Bonginator11

Can't wait to hear this, "He jams away at the net, HENRIQUE SCOOOOORRESSS!! HENRIQUE HENRIQUE. IT'S OVER"

Ugh can we please move away from this?

On Sunday was the 2-year anniversary of that happening and every devils fan group on Facebook was all over it. We make fun of the rangers and their fans for constantly bringing up 1994 especially since we won the cup three times since. Now we are constantly bringing up something that happened two years ago while the rags are one win away from being in the finals. Sunday was one of those days I was a bit embarrassed to be a devils fan.

Ugh can we please move away from this?

On Sunday was the 2-year anniversary of that happening and every devils fan group on Facebook was all over it. We make fun of the rangers and their fans for constantly bringing up 1994 especially since we won the cup three times since. Now we are constantly bringing up something that happened two years ago while the rags are one win away from being in the finals. Sunday was one of those days I was a bit embarrassed to be a devils fan.

Why can't we still celebrate that awesome call...??? You're being a baby.  We had our chance and the Rags are getting theirs....I can hate it all I want but that won't change anything.  I believe that that particular call hold a special place in our history.   It's not like bringing up a big goal from '95.  Totally different context.  If you're embarrassed to be a Devils fan, don't support the team.  If you don't embrace the team history, that's fine too, just be a baby.   That call sends shivers up my spine.  The same feeling I get if I were to watch old Stanley Cup videos.

Why can't we still celebrate that awesome call...??? You're being a baby.  We had our chance and the Rags are getting theirs....I can hate it all I want but that won't change anything.  I believe that that particular call hold a special place in our history.   It's not like bringing up a big goal from '95.  Totally different context.  If you're embarrassed to be a Devils fan, don't support the team.  If you don't embrace the team history, that's fine too, just be a baby.   That call sends shivers up my spine.  The same feeling I get if I were to watch old Stanley Cup videos.

Again now you are going to act like the fans of the team you despise.  You are bringing up an event that happened in the past while at the same time that team you are knocking is right at the doorstep to the SCF while the Devils have been playing golf for the last 5 weeks.

I love being a Devils fan but this type of stuff makes me feel embarassed for you and about the fan base.

1994 was 20 years ago.

You're not a very happy guy.

I have a poster hanging in my room that says "Henrique it's over". I also have a tee shirt. That is the most exciting thing that has happened to this franchise in the last decade. You really think it's embarrassing to bring it up? Wow.

Was it exciting?  Of course

Is it fun bringing that up when at the same time the Rags are about to make it to the finals while the Devils are playing golf?  Not at all and either the Kings or Chicago beating them in the finals is a sure-fire thing either.

I feel this is a sort of revenge for a lot of Devils fans who have grown up hearing "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!" from Rags fans for years.  I remember that used to bug me too until 3 cups and 4 finals in a span of about 8 years after pretty much washed that away.

So if hypothetically if the Rags win the whole damn thing, do you think wearing the It's Over! shirts and showing them pics of it will really hurt them anymore?  Probably not as the Matteau thing never hurt me when the Devils won it the next year.

It was two years ago, not twenty.  Where in that  post you just quoted did I attack the Rags or their fans?? I'm defending the call made by Doc Emrick and how that holds a special place in my fandom and the joy I will feel playing NHL 15 with Doc calling the plays.  You are also comparing this board to Facebook.  Do you realize how stupid the average person is and then allowed those stupid people to shout out their opinions on a public forum such as NHL.com comments section or Facebook.  I actually commended the Rags in my post, stating "We had our chance and now the Rags and their fans are getting their chance" and you claim that "I'm acting like a Rangers fan."  You confuse me.  I generally hold the opinions of the people on this board in higher esteem than Facebook.  I'm charging you with not appreciating OUR teams history.  2 years ago or 20 years ago, it's still a part of the history.  I never "knocked the Rangers" for anything in my post.  Maybe you should just not discuss hockey on Facebook if it upsets you so much. 

It was two years ago, not twenty.  Where in that  post you just quoted did I attack the Rags or their fans?? I'm defending the call made by Doc Emrick and how that holds a special place in my fandom and the joy I will feel playing NHL 15 with Doc calling the plays.  You are also comparing this board to Facebook.  Do you realize how stupid the average person is and then allowed those stupid people to shout out their opinions on a public forum such as NHL.com comments section or Facebook.  I actually commended the Rags in my post, stating "We had our chance and now the Rags and their fans are getting their chance" and you claim that "I'm acting like a Rangers fan."  You confuse me.  I generally hold the opinions of the people on this board in higher esteem than Facebook.  I'm charging you with not appreciating OUR teams history.  2 years ago or 20 years ago, it's still a part of the history.  I never "knocked the Rangers" for anything in my post.  Maybe you should just not discuss hockey on Facebook if it upsets you so much. 

I celebrate our team's history but I also have the wisdom of keeping some of this crap in perspective.  2 years ago might as well be 20 years ago in sports.  A good chunk of the major contributors from that playoff run are either gone or about to be out the door (hopefully with Marty but I see you still want him back on the other thread, go figure).

I have a feeling if the Rags win the cup this year and we fast forward to 10 years from now Devils fans will still be posting about it like crazy and basically it will be a role reversal of how things were from 1998-2004.

I rarely ever discuss hockey on FB as usually it is full of the absolute bottom of the barrel of Devils fans.

I celebrate our team's history but I also have the wisdom of keeping some of this crap in perspective.  2 years ago might as well be 20 years ago in sports.  A good chunk of the major contributors from that playoff run are either gone or about to be out the door (hopefully with Marty but I see you still want him back on the other thread, go figure).

I have a feeling if the Rags win the cup this year and we fast forward to 10 years from now Devils fans will still be posting about it like crazy and basically it will be a role reversal of how things were from 1998-2004.

I rarely ever discuss hockey on FB as usually it is full of the absolute bottom of the barrel of Devils fans.

I agree with keeping things in perspective and that many of those players are gone.  I never said that I wanted Marty back, but I wouldn't care if he came back as a backup and was designated in that role.  I'm not going to be up in arms if Marty comes back.  Yes, he hurt this team this year, he maybe caused too much drama in the media/locker room, but if he comes back, which I think is his only option if he still wants to play in the NHL.   If he only gets 20 games max and Cory handling the rest, the team should be fine. 

Actually caring about what a few Facebook groups do is just as silly as the groups themselves.

If the organization itself starts promoting the 'anniversary of Henrique' the way MSG does with Ranger moments then I'll get worried.  Heck that'd be doubly silly considering we didn't actually win the Cup that year, at least the Rangers won the Cup in their year though they celebrate Matteau, Matteau, Matteau just as much or more than the actual Game 7 against Vancouver.

We still brag about our three cups; and the last one - by all accounts an unexpected one (but hey, it made up for '01) - was 11 years ago.

The Rags (MSG) and the NY media play the Matteau goal as much as they do for one reason: to irk Devils fans. They know we're right here. They do it to tweak us. Hell, when you watch MSG, what do you see more often: Matteau or the final seconds of game 7 against Vancouver? So I have no problem tweaking them back with Henrique. It sucks we didn't go on to win the Cup, but we had 3 prior- so that helps ease some of the pain. Beating the Rags in the ECF was and always will be priceless. Whether they win the Cup this year or not doesn't change that.

The Rags (MSG) and the NY media play the Matteau goal as much as they do for one reason: to irk Devils fans. They know we're right here. They do it to tweak us. Hell, when you watch MSG, what do you see more often: Matteau or the final seconds of game 7 against Vancouver? So I have no problem tweaking them back with Henrique. It sucks we didn't go on to win the Cup, but we had 3 prior- so that helps ease some of the pain. Beating the Rags in the ECF was and always will be priceless. Whether they win the Cup this year or not doesn't change that.

I think I will./  For many years when a Rags idiot would bring up 94 I would just point to the 3 cup banners in the rafters that normally that would shut them up.  Now if I bring up Henrique all they have to do is point to their cup banner from what might be this year and then what?  I'm supposed to keep bragging about a goal over a cup win?

We really shouldn't look or be as desperate as them with this.

I think I will./ For many years when a Rags idiot would bring up 94 I would just point to the 3 cup banners in the rafters that normally that would shut them up. Now if I bring up Henrique all they have to do is point to their cup banner from what might be this year and then what? I'm supposed to keep bragging about a goal over a cup win?

We really shouldn't look or be as desperate as them with this.

If someone treats me like an a$$hole, I treat them like one. Give it right back to 'em. I understand what you're saying though, and I respect your point of view.

Henrique's goal was two years ago.. Hardly living in the past to bring it up once every while.

Am I going to downplay the Rangers run this year by mentioning it? Hell no, that'd make no sense. But I'm sure as hell going to bring it up if someone tries to throw 94 in my face.

Another example of people worried about being too PC or whatever. Who cares. Devils fans don't need to be this super classy, holier-than-thou fan base imo..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1