congrats to the 2013-14 Champs, the Kings

msweet

The kings have been better in every period of this series in terms of pressure, forecheck and quality scoring chances. The rangers have been opportunistic which has made things uneasy. If the bounces actually start balancing out or even tilt LA's way, they are going to rout NY in the next two games.

Kings have had several breaks and bounces though.

Didn't happen in the bar I was at in midtown; fans my ass. Bunch of oh-wells, then straight back to drinking and their usual business. No lamenting, no period of reflection and disappointment to sink in. Volume was barely reduced. 

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Rangers fans voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Oh yeah. This is going to be treated like the Brett Hull skate in the crease. Rangers fans will NEVER let go of puck-over-glass-gate. CONSPIRACY NHL IS AGAINST THE RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha yep, and they will conveniently ignore....

(1)  Stepan getting away with a high stick early in the second overtime,

(2)  Girardi getting away with a delay of game penalty when he got hurt from a blocked shot and grabbed the puck and smothered it, and

(3)  Nash's dive to draw the interference call in overtime

It doesn't matter how you start, it's how you finish. That's the difference, the rags can't play a full 60 minutes against this kings team, once the third comes, the kings turn into best team and rangers go back wards as that result. I feel lile the kings would rather be down then up, their used to it. Works in their favor.

Kings have had several breaks and bounces though.

Oh dear god.  Did anybody see Lundquist after the 3rd Kings goal?  The goal where King MAY have interfered with him a little bit?  Omg, he was pouting and slamming the ice with both hands while complaining to the ref.  Please someone make a .gif of that, please.  It was between 2:50 and 2:58 of the NHL.com highlights.  At 1:58 into the 3rd period. 

Oh dear god.  Did anybody see Lundquist after the 3rd Kings goal?  The goal where King MAY have interfered with him a little bit?  Omg, he was pouting and slamming the ice with both hands while complaining to the ref.  Please someone make a .gif of that, please.  It was between 2:50 and 2:58 of the NHL.com highlights.  At 1:58 into the 3rd period. 

It was a really bad call. It was textbook interference but whatever. Not saying it decided the game or what not, but it should have been called.

I don't know about the call. I know if it was the other way around and that had happened to us, this place would melt down. Looking at it over and over and over again, I just feel like King would not have touched Henrik if he was allowed to skate to the front of the net which was where he was going until McDonagh impeded his progress an nudged into the goalie.

I don't know about the call. I know if it was the other way around and that had happened to us, this place would melt down. Looking at it over and over and over again, I just feel like King would not have touched Henrik if he was allowed to skate to the front of the net which was where he was going until McDonagh impeded his progress an nudged into the goalie.

At least you can recognize this place would melt down considering this place did melt down when Brodeur got bumped by a Canes player when he was 2 feet out of his crease and the Canes scored 1 second later with 0.2 on the clock.

The puck over the glass call is just too tough a play even if they had instant replay to go to. I definitively think moving forward goalie interference should be reviewable. But even then, it wouldn't be perfect. But sometimes refs really botch these calls.

If a defensemen pushes the player INTO the goalie, it's not interference.  The same exact thing happened in 2009 when I think it was Ruutu or Jokinen apparently nudged Brodeur and we lost the game with less than a second left.  Brodeur was furious.  THAT player was not pushed by a defensemen.  I think King has his body under control and was pushed.  It was damn close, it's nigh-impossible for the ref to get this call right every single time. 

EDIT:  King was credited with the goal.  This means it went off of him before he ran into Lundquist.  Lundquist also has a reputation of taking a dive. 

http://youtu.be/VxlEJMBKFZc

collission.gif

The more I watch this sport, the more I see it turning into Soccer where taking a dive is a regular thing.  It's despicable.  Europe is fascinated with the sport of soccer and I could enjoy it a lot more if embellishment wasn't a regular and accepted part of the game. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Bottom line: The queen has let in 8 goals in two games.  For someone that is regarded as something akin to the messiah by rags fans, that is not getting it done.  He's not the reason they lost the first two games but he's not cultivating a legend of being able to steal a game on the biggest stage.

At least you can recognize this place would melt down considering this place did melt down when Brodeur got bumped by a Canes player when he was 2 feet out of his crease and the Canes scored 1 second later with 0.2 on the clock.

The puck over the glass call is just too tough a play even if they had instant replay to go to. I definitively think moving forward goalie interference should be reviewable. But even then, it wouldn't be perfect. But sometimes refs really botch these calls.

Puck over glass whatever. Stupid rule anyway.

Bottom line: The queen has let in 8 goals in two games.  For someone that is regarded as something akin to the messiah by rags fans, that is not getting it done.  He's not the reason they lost the first two games but he's not cultivating a legend of being able to steal a game on the biggest stage.

He hasn't "stole" any games, but if you are asking any goalie in the world to steal any games against this Kings team, you are asking too much. The Kings threw 41 shots on Lundqvist in regulation of game 1, and he only let in 2 goals. That was an excellent excellent game...especially considering he made 20 saves on 20 shots in the 3rd. He deserved a better fate.

Last night, he was not as good. But perhaps you aren't giving Lundqvist enough credit, or don't want to or don't realize how good the Kings are and how the Rangers defense isn't excellent.

I'll use Brodeur as an example here to compare what you are asking/expecting from Lundqvist compared to another goalie in the Cup Finals. In the Stanley Cup win vs Dallas. Brodeur faced a combined 35 shots in the 1st two games of that series. 40 in game 3 and 4 combined. Only 41 shots in the triple OT game 5 and only 31 in double OT Cup winning game (18, 17, 23, 17, 41, 31). In the 2003 Finals, Brodeur faced 16 shots in game1 and 2 and only 1 game over 26 shots (33 in games 3 OT finish). Game 5-7 he faced 22, 23 and 24 shots. Lastly in the Finals win against the Wings, Marty faced 17, 18,  24 and 16 shots in the 4 wins.

Edited by devilsrule33

He hasn't "stole" any games, but if you are asking any goalie in the world to steal any games against this Kings team, you are asking too much. The Kings threw 41 shots on Lundqvist in regulation of game 1, and he only let in 2 goals. That was an excellent excellent game...especially considering he made 20 saves on 20 shots in the 3rd. He deserved a better fate.

Last night, he was not as good. But perhaps you aren't giving Lundqvist enough credit, or don't want to or don't realize how good the Kings are and how the Rangers defense isn't excellent.

I'll use Brodeur as an example here to compare what you are asking/expecting from Lundqvist compared to another goalie in the Cup Finals. In the Stanley Cup win vs Dallas. Brodeur faced a combined 35 shots in the 1st two games of that series. 40 in game 3 and 4 combined. Only 41 shots in the triple OT game 5 and only 31 in double OT Cup winning game (18, 17, 23, 17, 41, 31). In the 2003 Finals, Brodeur faced 16 shots in game1 and 2 and only 1 game over 26 shots (33 in games 3 OT finish). Game 5-7 he faced 22, 23 and 24 shots. Lastly in the Finals win against the Wings, Marty faced 17, 18,  24 and 16 shots in the 4 wins.

Are you saying Brodeur isn't good because the cup teams defenses were good at shot prevention?  Maybe the Rangers defense should do their job. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Are you saying Brodeur isn't good because the cup teams defenses were good at shot prevention?  Maybe the Rangers defense should do their job. 

No, this isn't what I am saying at all. Brodeur is great. He got the job done. But the Kings are beasts and the Rangers aren't throwing out multiple HOF on defense. Lundqvist after two games has been under fire to start this series unlike most goalies in Stanley Cup Finals history. Not expecting you to give Lundqvist a break or anyone here, but goalies have not been asked to do as much as Lundqvist to get a team a W. It's about realistic expectations.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

DP, what that view is missing is that Dwight King was in the crease to begin with - yeah he gets pushed a little into Lundqvist, but not substantially - he puts himself inside the crease.  It was a pretty clear call, the refs just missed it.  Lundqvist wasn't going to be able to make the save regardless of King being actually pushed into him - where King was standing was impeding Lundqvist's ability to get the puck.

Amazing how terrible Brad Richards has become.  Shows the high risk and folly with giving out big money longer terms contracts to guys already well over 30.

I don't see how they don't buy out Richards despite his buddy-buddy relationship with St. Louis.  Rangers fans might cry about the officials, but Richards was instrumental in not one but two of the Kings goals tonight.

And Lundqvist might complain about that goal, but for every good save or sequence he's coming up just as small in some key spots.  Goaltending as a whole has been pretty craptastic at times these playoffs.  Some big saves and a good game here or there (including Lundqvist), but no consistency in games or in series.  No goalie has really owned a series these playoffs.

• Like 1