msweet

congrats to the 2013-14 Champs, the Kings

833 posts in this topic

Soffffftttttttiiiiiiieeeee

Think it went off a skate, but I'll still call it a softie.

Hockey is full of luck.  Pucks bounce over gloves, under arms, off stick shafts, they carom off the boards strangely sometimes, they ricochet off the ice and in.  Subjective calls - and by this I mean generally, penalties - are just part of the overall variance inherent to sport.  There's no way you're ever going to get it right with penalties.  So we just review penalties on goal scoring plays, namely interference?  What about penalties that result in power plays that ultimately result in goals?  Shouldn't we just go back and look at those, just to make sure they're the right call?   I recognize that this is a strawman, but the point is the same - there's always going to be chance elements involved with refereeing a game, and while it'd be nice if those could go away, they can't.  I'm in favor of letting the game speak, of having everything on the ice be inherently meaningful as it happens, not to be judged later, while we wait and think of other things, and then be reversed or upheld.  In the NFL I don't watch the 9 replays to see if it's a catch or not - I don't care.  At that point, they've lost me.  I watch one good replay, make my decision on the right call, and go find something better on TV until they come back (and of course there's a commercial involved) - I refuse to get wrapped up in the courtroom drama that is review in sports.  Anything that diminishes the number and duration of replays is good.  Life has to be lived with imperfections.

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I'm not okay with wrong calls being permitted to continue and written off as "overall variance of the sport."  Games should be decided by the actions of the players and the fewer wrong calls there are, the better.  Of course you can't review every single play but at the very least we learned from Saturday that at least goalie interference should be reviewable.

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.  I'm not okay with wrong calls being permitted to continue and written off as "overall variance of the sport."  Games should be decided by the actions of the players and the fewer wrong calls there are, the better.  Of course you can't review every single play but at the very least we learned from Saturday that at least goalie interference should be reviewable.

How did we learn that?  Half the Competition Committee thinks it was a good goal.  I think it's 50-50 it would've been upheld.

I don't know how you watch hockey if you can't stand wrong calls.  Jeff Carter scored with 1 second left - shouldn't they go back and review all the whistles to make sure the clock stopped at the right time?  Maybe they stopped it too quick at one point - unlikely, but it might've happened.

pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass

Rags are sitting in the crease, bumping Quick.  Really testing the league.

i cant believe people paid thousands of dollars to watch this live

depends on what team you want to win!!!

actually I aint saying anything yet...plenty of time left

actually I aint saying anything yet...plenty of time left

I'm trying so hard to control myself and not troll hfboards.  Stranger things have happened this playoff year.

I'm trying so hard to control myself and not troll hfboards.  Stranger things have happened this playoff year.

been there; done that

edit also i agree about luck...redit well i consider it a matter of focus and focus cant be maintained 100%

wow quick

Edited by lazer

I so wish this was game 4 lol then this stupid season will be over!

Game 4 ticket prices have been dropping hard ever since the first goal was scored by LA at the end of the first.

:devil: .....I decided what would happen in this series when it was 4-2 Rags last game. Pressure's off.

"What a day this has been, what a grand mood I'm in, well it's....almost like being in love" :)

2 people like this

did zuc just get speared into the boards lol

this looks a lot like 2012, NOT

Edited by lazer