Devils Select Legends as New PruCenter Food Vendor

Colin226

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/prudential-center-and-legends-hospitality-announce-partnership-to-create-world-class-culinary-experience-at-arena-264236901.html

Prudential Center and Legends Hospitality announced today a multi-year partnership that will create a brand new, first-class culinary experience for guests at the Newark, NJ arena. Legends will take over concessions operations in early July with a full rollout of new offerings this fall...

Legends runs the food service for many teams including the Yankees, Cowboys, LA Angels, and NY Red Bulls.. Here's an article about the Angels switching from Aramark to Legends for this season: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sections-608819-food-angels.html

And here is a sampling of what is to come:

JBJ Soul Kitchen

Where "Hope is Delicious," JBJ Soul Kitchen is a community kitchen and restaurant run by the Jon Bon Jovi Foundation in Red Bank, NJ and established with a vision to serve healthy, delicious and, when possible, organic meals. JBJ Soul Kitchen is ready to serve those who are hungry or those who hunger to make a difference in their community.

In a partnership with Jon Bon Jovi's Soul Kitchen, Prudential Center will feature the first community-based concession stand in sports and entertainment. The new JBJ Soul Kitchen location will embody its roots by serving healthy, locally-sourced meals served by a staff that has graduated from the Legends/JBJSK job placement program.

The Jersey Diner

With over 625 diners around the state, New Jersey is far and away the diner capital of the world. With a nod to that honor, Prudential Center will offer the first "Diner" concession. The Route 1 Diner will look and feel like a traditional Jersey Diner, from the servers uniforms to the menu classics, including the Burger Deluxe, Lamb Gyro, Disco Fries and savory milkshakes.

Ironbound District

Honoring the very district in which Prudential Center is located, the Ironbound District will feature a wide variety of Peruvian, Brazilian and Portuguese favorites in a newly renovated, show-cooking setting with rotisserie grills.

Boardwalk

Who said walking the Boardwalk was only supposed to be a Jersey Shore experience? Prudential Center's re-imagined Upper Concourse will bring summer inside. Fixed-portables, festooned with classic lighting and an actual Boardwalk will serve popular Jersey Shore classics such as Fried Clams, Fries, Pizza, Ice Cream and Funnel Cakes in what will become one of the most popular destinations in the arena.

Edited by Colin226

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't tend to eat a whole lot outside of the "standard" kind of fare at games (burgers and hot dogs), so I can't really say much about the food, but it did seem like some people here weren't happy with the overall quality and selections.  What does this mean exactly Colin?  Is this a "sweeping change" sort of thing, from food suppliers to menus to cooking hardware to preparation?  I can't imagine stuff like Nathan's going away, but I'm guessing some other products might see some significant overhauling?    

I don't tend to eat a whole lot outside of the "standard" kind of fare at games (burgers and hot dogs), so I can't really say much about the food, but it did seem like some people here weren't happy with the overall quality and selections.  What does this mean exactly Colin?  Is this a "sweeping change" sort of thing, from food suppliers to menus to cooking hardware to preparation?  I can't imagine stuff like Nathan's going away, but I'm guessing some other products might see some significant overhauling?    

Updated my post with a better article talking about some of the changes.. Sounds like they will be pretty big and we'll see some sweeping changes to the arena itself as a result.. I saw that, for the Angels, Legends came in and made huge upgrades around their stadium.. Sounds like they are doing a bit of the same here but also going full-Jersey in the process which I think we all can agree is awesome

Last time I went to the Rock, the food tasted like the crap at Yankee stadium, but this new company is the same company that supplies them?

is this just putting lipstick on a pig???

If you were at the Rock within the last year and half or so, Aramark was the vendor, so the food should have been quite different from Yankee Stadium.. Aramark is known universally for being really crappy and not caring about the customer.. Legends seem more apt to providing a great experience for fans and giving a damn, so we will see.. I find it interesting that you hated the food at Yankee Stadium as it looks pretty good in pictures lol.. What did you have that you disliked?

Updated my post with a better article talking about some of the changes.. Sounds like they will be pretty big and we'll see some sweeping changes to the arena itself as a result.. I saw that, for the Angels, Legends came in and made huge upgrades around their stadium.. Sounds like they are doing a bit of the same here but also going full-Jersey in the process which I think we all can agree is awesome

Hard not to get behind this.  It's paying some homage to New Jersey without being presumptuous or obnoxious about it (like when some corporate schlubs assume everyone from NJ likes Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen).  It all sounds good to me.  Like. 

If you were at the Rock within the last year and half or so, Aramark was the vendor, so the food should have been quite different from Yankee Stadium.. Aramark is known universally for being really crappy and not caring about the customer.. Legends seem more apt to providing a great experience for fans and giving a damn, so we will see.. I find it interesting that you hated the food at Yankee Stadium as it looks pretty good in pictures lol.. What did you have that you disliked?

Me and some friends just got the basic crap, chicken fingers and fries and some pizza and a bucket of fried chicken. They seemed to be the exact same at both places.

( 2009 for both places)

Hard not to get behind this.  It's paying some homage to New Jersey without being presumptuous or obnoxious about it (like when some corporate schlubs assume everyone from NJ likes Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen).  It all sounds good to me.  Like. 

Absolutely.. One thing I hate about MetLife Stadium is that everything is "New York this, New York that" so visitors to the stadium barely know they're not even in New York.. This is all about representing New Jersey from the farms to the shore and it sounds like they've put a lot of thought into it (and are putting some money in as well)

Me and some friends just got the basic crap, chicken fingers and fries and some pizza and a bucket of fried chicken. They seemed to be the exact same at both places.

( 2009 for both places)

Okay I know in 2009 we had a different vendor who wasn't anything special at all really.. Can't say I know what Yankee Stadium had back then.. They are a partial owner of this Legends company but the company started in 2008 so it's possible they didn't have it up and running back then like they do now.. FWIW here are the ribs they're serving this year at Yankee Stadium: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjsKf65CQAA-Ugm.jpg

Edited by Colin226

( 2009 for both places)

Aramark handled concessions from 2013 to now.  Prior to that, it was Centerplate (they were let go over a financial dispute with five years left on 10-year contract). 

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/01/14/Facilities/Devils-Centerplate.aspx

Speculation on my part, but would it surprise anyone if VBK wanted that change because Aramark was cheaper?  He was probably looking to save money any way he could at that point.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Great news. New ownership and management already taking notice and making changes. I've heard mostly good things about the company but again they tailor their product to what the team wants. There's no exception that the last few years have seen a serious decline in food quality and choice at Pru.

( 2009 for both places)

If I'm not mistaken, both places used Centerplate in 2009.  This is the same company the Angels dumped Aramark for in the middle of their contract.  To me, it sounds like we won't be getting any real Jersey eateries, just themes, so no Hobby's, Jimmy Buffs, Surf Taco, etc.

Absolutely.. One thing I hate about MetLife Stadium is that everything is "New York this, New York that" so visitors to the stadium barely know they're not even in New York.. This is all about representing New Jersey from the farms to the shore and it sounds like they've put a lot of thought into it (and are putting some money in as well)

Okay I know in 2009 we had a different vendor who wasn't anything special at all really.. Can't say I know what Yankee Stadium had back then.. They are a partial owner of this Legends company but the company started in 2008 so it's possible they didn't have it up and running back then like they do now.. FWIW here are the ribs they're serving this year at Yankee Stadium: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjsKf65CQAA-Ugm.jpg

them ribs is making me hungry !!

hopefully this new vendor is a step or two above the last couple of food vendors they used at the Rock, I mean it still is a "for profit" business and the food business is tough.

Great news. New ownership and management already taking notice and making changes. I've heard mostly good things about the company but again they tailor their product to what the team wants. There's no exception that the last few years have seen a serious decline in food quality and choice at Pru.

A friend of mine works in the concession business.  Started off as Delaware North (no idea what they are called now).  Worked for the Eagles, Browns, Dolphins, Stars, Cardinals/Expos spring training and would often get sent to help open new places.  Opened the Rock a few years ago.  

The teams approve EVERYTHING that is sold at the arenas/stadiums.  The contractors have meetings with team management who samples the food, and they agree on the price to be charged.  It is also not just a rubber-stamp approval.  They do have disagreements and food choices get 86'd as a result.  About 12-13 years ago, he was working the Cardinals/Expos spring training site.  I went down there and we were going to Rangers-Panthers.  The afternoon I arrived he had a meeting with a vendor who was pushing chicken fries as part of his companies offerings.  Basically chicken fingers, but cut like french fries.  When they proposed the idea to the Cards and Expos management, they disagreed on the price.  My friend's company wanted to charge something like 3.50 for small, 4.50 for medium, and 6,50 for large.  Teams wanted 2.50, 3.00, 4.00, so they scrapped the item.

Regardless, are you going to the game for the game or for the food?

Legends is a huge step above Aramark, so this is indeed a great thing.

Not only that but JBJ Soul Kitchen should provide more healthy options for people such as my gf, who is a vegetarian.  Last year the only veggie options were either a bland, tiny veggie gyro for $9 or a sh!tty leaf salad at that one stand for $10-12.

Owners acknowledged early on this past season that the food sucked and took action.  Thank you.

Legends is a huge step above Aramark, so this is indeed a great thing.

Not only that but JBJ Soul Kitchen should provide more healthy options for people such as my gf, who is a vegetarian.  Last year the only veggie options were either a bland, tiny veggie gyro for $9 or a sh!tty leaf salad at that one stand for $10-12.

Owners acknowledged early on this past season that the food sucked and took action.  Thank you.

I would love to know what Aramark's rates were compared to Centerplate's.  Like I said in the previous post, I think the decision to deep-six Centerplate probably came down to cost (even if that's not in the link I posted). 

Regardless, are you going to the game for the game or for the food?

Once upon a time it was strictly about the game, and for people like me, it very much still is (I can get better food before or after the game, often for a better price, and though there may be a wait time at whatever restaurant I choose to go to (if I go that route), I don't have to miss a single second of the game, or stand on long concourse lines during intermissions).  But let's face it, it's a different time now.  The game is just one part of the "go out and watch the team" experience for many.  I'm not saying they're wrong, even though it's not my thing, and in this business, it's adapt-or-die...a stadium or arena that stresses sitting in your seat and watching the game at the expense of all other amenities isn't going to fly anymore.  Now you've got to have various trimmings, be it interactive activities for the kids, a fancy restaurant or two...much different from my childhood at-the-game experiences for sure.   

heh heh -- do they know what locally sourced actually means?  'Based on traditional NJ fare' is not the same as locally sourced, Jersey Fresh.  I doubt they'll be using NJ raised beef, chicken lamb at all these concession stands.  JBJ's sounds like the only thing remotely close to locally sourced.

Oh yeah  -- I'm the a$$hole with No Farms No Food on my bumper  :P:boogie:

Speaking of which -- has anyone had Long valley cheese  SO GOOD!  I hate that cheese is so delicious.  So weird how owning sheep gets you all into weird stuff like local cheese and stuff.  Ok -- I just had to throw in a nice digression - I've been slacking off on that.

I bet Stevens doesn't eat fatty cheese....  just getting in the Stevens digression too.  thank you.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Aramark handled concessions from 2013 to now.  Prior to that, it was Centerplate (they were let go over a financial dispute with five years left on 10-year contract). 

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/01/14/Facilities/Devils-Centerplate.aspx

Speculation on my part, but would it surprise anyone if VBK wanted that change because Aramark was cheaper?  He was probably looking to save money any way he could at that point.   

Not sure how you are coming to this conclusion based upon the info. in this article.  It seems that the concession companies like Centerplate, Aramark, Legends, etc. pay the team to provide concessions at the arena, not the other way around.  In addition, the team then gets a certain % of all sales while the concession company keeps the rest.  If Centerplate was the highest bidder for this work in 2007 and had kept their end of the bargain, why would the Devils look for a change?  I mean, theoretically, Aramark could have come in and guaranteed the team more money to take over the contract, and VBK then went all Wall Street on Centerplate and breach the contract from the teams end, but it sure doesn't seem like that is the case here?

The article even goes to show that the Devils won an award vs. Centerplate for unpaid fees so I don't see how VBK would be saving money here.  It looks like there was a standard breach of contract on Centerplate's end because they made a bad deal and likely weren't getting the anticipated return on their investment from this deal, so the Devils decided to terminate their contract. 

Legends is part owned by the Yankees and Dallas Cowboys and operates the concessions at both venues.  I like the change mainly because Aramark sucks, but I don't go to Devils games for the culinary selections so it won't have a massive effect on me personally because beer will still be $9+.

Personally I never eat at the arena but I know there are people who don't have time to grab food before the game and have no choice but to eat at the arena.

Plus a majority of the sth's get food and beverage cards anyway so of course it'd be nice if the food options were better :lol:

If it wasn't for the f/b card though I wouldn't bother getting much at the arena.  Especially with all the other places to eat nearby, plus I'm fortunate enough that I can eat dinner at home most of time before going to games.  People commuting from the city don't have that luxury.

Edited by NJDevs4978