2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

Exactly. It's apples vs. oranges to an extent, but how this deal isn't being torn apart like Zajac's was is beyond me.

Timing.  Zajac's deal, IIRC, was the first contract announced out of the lockout, or at least the first major one.  Dubinsky's contract comes at the end of Free Agent Frenzy.

Mantzas:  If the cap is at $80 million, the Zajac deal is horrendous at its conclusion.

1st line center money for a center who isn't a superstar/elite point-getter.  That's a lot of money to be being a guy who is slotted to be a number 2 or 3.

I'll say it again, that isn't 1st line center money.  Grabovski got 5M per.  Dave Bolland got 5M per.  Toews got 10.  Now that the front-loaded thing is gone, we'll see salaries return to normal, and that means top centers making $7M to $8M.

Timing. Zajac's deal, IIRC, was the first contract announced out of the lockout, or at least the first major one. Dubinsky's contract comes at the end of Free Agent Frenzy.

Mantzas: If the cap is at $80 million, the Zajac deal is horrendous at its conclusion.

How so? Would like the rationale or hypothesis on this?

I'll say it again, that isn't 1st line center money. Grabovski got 5M per. Dave Bolland got 5M per. Toews got 10. Now that the front-loaded thing is gone, we'll see salaries return to normal, and that means top centers making $7M to $8M.

Stamkos will get $10 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stamkos will get $10 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he'll get more than that to keep him away from FA. I think he's comparable with Toews at worse and you could make an excellent argument he's better. And if he gets there somebody will probably offer him 12 or something up there

Edited by DH26

he'll get more than that to keep him away from FA. I think he's comparable with Toews at worse and you could make an excellent argument he's better. And if he gets there somebody will probably offer him 12 or something up there

Stamkos will be 26 when his current deal is up. You can probably get no better than 50/50 odds for the next six years that he'll score 50 or more goals in each of those years unless there's an unforeseen drop in his play. He started playing at 18 and is more than a point per game player already. He's better than both Kane and Toews. Then you add in the fact that they won't have another UFA to retain that could demand a twin salary like Kane to Toews, and he will easily get $12 million. If Tampa were allowed to, they'd probably offer him and eight year $90 million extension right now.

In all likelihood, Tavares is also going to break $10 million AAV when his time comes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comparing Zajac with Krejci and Stepan. woah.  

why is that woah at all? Derek Stepan had 57 points, he's not exactly Sidney Crosby. Zajac had 48 on a team that can't score and ya know defense and corsi and all that fun/better stuff 

• Like 1

I was under the assumption that the board general opinion undervalues Zajac  I wasn't dogging him.   He's a great player and I don't think his contract is going to hurt us.  Even if his production takes a complete nose dive in his age 34 and 35 years, I don't think he'll be a liability.  

Timing.  Zajac's deal, IIRC, was the first contract announced out of the lockout, or at least the first major one.  Dubinsky's contract comes at the end of Free Agent Frenzy.

Mantzas:  If the cap is at $80 million, the Zajac deal is horrendous at its conclusion.

If the cap is at 80 million by Zajac's 6-8th year(s) you're paying 7% of it to a 3rd line center.  Not the end of the world

zajac's defensive play really makes up for him not putting up as many points as we all wish he would but i have a good feeling his numbers will be high this season

FWIW, Zajac scored 11 goals and added 16 assists in his final 32 GP last season, and that includes two four-game pointless streaks.  Hoping it's a sign of things to come (Zajac being a 60-65 point player again). 

Anyone watching games knows that his defensive play is not the only reason Zajac numbers are low. His lack of finishing is a legit reason. He's getting plenty of chances. Just can't put it in

Can't ignore this. I think we all can recall just how many open nets he managed to miss.

Zajac should have easily potted 25 plus last season. The man gets so many chances.

Playing with a generational talent like Jagr will do that for you.

Man if he was even slightly proficient at finishing he probably could've had a 30 goal year by now.

By the time Zajac's deal is over, the cap will probably be somewhere around 80-85 million.

Also, Dubinsky is not as good as Zajac now and plays a physical game. We know how those players age

I'd say they're pretty comparable. Both are two-way checking pivots who can play any situation. Both are very strong on faceoffs. Each are good forecheckers. Dubinsky plays a more physical style while Zajac is a little more finesse. Both are good penalty killers. Neither will score a ton of goals but are capable of 15-20 goals and 50-55 points. Factor in intangibles they bring. Dubinsky probably will be named the new Columbus captain. Zajac is one of the Devils team leaders. My thought process for the money they earn, of course they're overpaid. However, given the market where one-dimensional UFA's are getting similar money, I prefer what they bring.

Well the question is would you compare Stasny and Zajac and put them on the same level??  I think they are pretty close as players and we are paying much less for Zajac.  Maybe Stasny brings a little bit more finish, scoring and earns that number 1 center role moreso, but I would agree that Stepan and Krecji are also good comparisons to Zajac though.  I'd rank all four of these centers ahead of Dubinsky.  

I agree with Derek21 that these centers are well worth what teams are paying for them, minus Dubinsky and Stepan perhaps.  Hopefully Stepan asks for Dubinsky money when his time comes (soon?).