Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devilsfan118

2014 UFA Signing Thread

922 posts in this topic

Zajac should have easily potted 25 plus last season. The man gets so many chances.

Zajac should have easily potted 25 plus last season. The man gets so many chances.

Playing with a generational talent like Jagr will do that for you.

Man if he was even slightly proficient at finishing he probably could've had a 30 goal year by now.

By the time Zajac's deal is over, the cap will probably be somewhere around 80-85 million.

Also, Dubinsky is not as good as Zajac now and plays a physical game. We know how those players age

I'd say they're pretty comparable. Both are two-way checking pivots who can play any situation. Both are very strong on faceoffs. Each are good forecheckers. Dubinsky plays a more physical style while Zajac is a little more finesse. Both are good penalty killers. Neither will score a ton of goals but are capable of 15-20 goals and 50-55 points. Factor in intangibles they bring. Dubinsky probably will be named the new Columbus captain. Zajac is one of the Devils team leaders. My thought process for the money they earn, of course they're overpaid. However, given the market where one-dimensional UFA's are getting similar money, I prefer what they bring.

Well the question is would you compare Stasny and Zajac and put them on the same level??  I think they are pretty close as players and we are paying much less for Zajac.  Maybe Stasny brings a little bit more finish, scoring and earns that number 1 center role moreso, but I would agree that Stepan and Krecji are also good comparisons to Zajac though.  I'd rank all four of these centers ahead of Dubinsky.  

I agree with Derek21 that these centers are well worth what teams are paying for them, minus Dubinsky and Stepan perhaps.  Hopefully Stepan asks for Dubinsky money when his time comes (soon?).  

I hope zajac can start to figure out how to finish a little more often this year I feel like the talent is there but theres something just short

Because you can't read?  You asked a blanket question about how can people question scouts.  You know how I can?  Because the Devils have an absolute garbage record at drafting physical D in the last 15 years.  Basically every pick has been a bust, with some of them graduating to being fringe NHLers.  Do the Devils overvalue physicality?  I don't know, because I don't know their methods, but I would assume yes.

Sometimes people lose the whole picture by being too close to it, and scouting is one of the professions where I imagine this happens all the time.  Good scouting departments have to be constantly questioning their assumptions about what makes a good player.  So yeah, I don't know what goes on at the rink in Albany, and I'm not privy to player/scout interviews, but more information can easily be bad when that information misleads or is thought to be important when it isn't.

Is there a good comparative analysis of draft success out there? Specifically, something that would allow one to compare team-by-team success during certain periods, but also to compare same team success across different periods?

The reason I bring this up is that I would argue, just from my subjective POV, that the Devils drafting history of the past 15 years is much worse than just with physical def. Compared to the '90s it is almost as if we have a completely different GM with a completely difficerent scout support system. To me this indicates that something has changed and not for the better. OTOH, I'd like to really see just how much better or worse we are rather than going on my subjective assessment.

Is there a good comparative analysis of draft success out there? Specifically, something that would allow one to compare team-by-team success during certain periods, but also to compare same team success across different periods?

The reason I bring this up is that I would argue, just from my subjective POV, that the Devils drafting history of the past 15 years is much worse than just with physical def. Compared to the '90s it is almost as if we have a completely different GM with a completely difficerent scout support system. To me this indicates that something has changed and not for the better. OTOH, I'd like to really see just how much better or worse we are rather than going on my subjective assessment.

For the first part, I'd assume there must be something out there. Otherwise, it would take someone going draft by draft listing players that played a certain number of NHL games, therefore deeming them successful picks.

My theory on the drafting change is just that other teams caught up to Lou and Conte's drafting techniques. They were supposedly ahead of the curve in the 90's, plus they'd find guys like Rafalski undrafted. Then, it just seemed like they wouldn't get those hidden gems anymore.

Here's one: http://canucksarmy.com/2014/5/27/ron-delorme-and-the-canucks-v-the-29-other-scouting-departments

Do you think Lou is going to try to extend Greene before the start of the season? Greene is a UFA after this year.

Do you think Lou is going to try to extend Greene before the start of the season? Greene is a UFA after this year.

he had already said that he was going to be reaching out to him

@DarrenDreger: Ryan O'Rielly agrees to 2 yr deal. $ 5.8 and $6.2

Rags also signed Zuccarello to a 1 year deal and Kreider to a 2 year deal.

Zuccarello is going to get PAID next year.  

Standard bridge deal for Kreider.  

6mm also isn't terrible for RoR

Edited by Devilsfan118

Seems like Zuccarello could've gotten move than 3.5 mil. Seems like a bit of a team friendly deal. God dammit, squeeze the Rags for all they're worth.

If Zuccarello hits the market next year, we should get in on that.

1 person likes this

Zuccarello is going to get PAID next year.  

Standard bridge deal for Kreider.  

6mm also isn't terrible for RoR

Yeah, this is a pretty head-scratching move by Sather.  Obviously we have no idea how negotiations went and what Zuccarello was asking for but you gotta think he would've accepted a 5/25 deal. If he produces at a similar rate to last year, 6+  per year doesn't sound unreasonable. I'm guessing Sather needed the cap space this year

Yeah, this is a pretty head-scratching move by Sather. Obviously we have no idea how negotiations went and what Zuccarello was asking for but you gotta think he would've accepted a 5/25 deal. If he produces at a similar rate to last year, 6+ per year doesn't sound unreasonable. I'm guessing Sather needed the cap space this year

A Rags fan buddy of mine told me Zuccarello was looking for $4.5 on a multi-year deal. He'll get 5 easy if he hits the market off a big year.

dumb move by Zucc, need to strike while you had a strong SC showing. guys get ACLs and concussions all the time

they could have structured a multiyear deal with built in cap relief for 2014, correct???

Edited by EdgeControl

On nhl.com, there's "Rosen's Mailbag" where Dan Rosen answers a few questions about the Devils (quite favorably btw):

Which team in the East will make the largest jump in the standings? -- @aketts15

My eyes are on the New Jersey Devils to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs. They needed offense after finishing 27th in goals per game (2.40) last season. They got it by signing Mike Cammalleri and Martin Havlat. Cammalleri could be the Devils' first 30-goal scorer since Ilya Kovalchuk and Zach Parise. Havlat is a health risk, but it's a one-year contract and the Devils are uniting him with countrymen Patrik Elias, Jaromir Jagr and Marek Zidlicky. New Jersey's offense should be better. A lot hinges on the continued development of their young defensemen, particularly Adam Larsson, Jon Merrill and Eric Gelinas. Cory Schneider has to be the No. 1 goalie everyone has long thought he can be.

The Devils are overloaded with forwards. Who can be moved to make room for youth? -- @C_Diercks

The Devils have depth up front. Depth is essential to winning. They have a couple of young forwards who might be ready for bigger roles (Reid Boucher and Stephane Matteau), but why trade away depth just to give a young guy a chance? Those players will get their chance through injuries and/or if their play in the American Hockey League warrants it. No reason to force it when you're a cap-compliant team with depth.

He also mentions though, "You can make the case that the Devils (I already made that case), Washington Capitals and New York Islanders got better, but they won't all jump the Rangers."

Zuccas agent confirmed in norwegian media that they asked for $4,5M. He is hoping to remain in NY and they are working on a longer term deal that they hope to sign in january. 

Yeah, this is a pretty head-scratching move by Sather.  Obviously we have no idea how negotiations went and what Zuccarello was asking for but you gotta think he would've accepted a 5/25 deal. If he produces at a similar rate to last year, 6+  per year doesn't sound unreasonable. I'm guessing Sather needed the cap space this year

They have zero room for such a long-term commitment. Zuccarello got over a $2 million raise off 1 good year. He got fair value and helped the team out. If that was the Devils, it would get praised. As it stands, the Rangers have potential UFA's Staal, Zuccarello and Brassard pending arbitration. Plus must bump up Stepan and Hagelin, whose bridge deals end. The organization faces challenging decisions ahead.

1 person likes this

Brassard gets 5ys, $25 to stay with the Rangers... yikes.

With that, according to capgeek, the Rags now have a whole $1.3 in cap space.