Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devilsfan118

2014 UFA Signing Thread

922 posts in this topic

With the right partner DZ is a good player with good offensive upside. I'm sure he will find a good place eventually.

Kevin Klein is not a solid defenseman - he's a 3rd pairing guy at best - and him not getting a QO was always a possibility - he had to be qualified at 2.9M (or at least 2.61M - not entirely sure of the rule).  A bit pricey for a guy who had played himself out of the lineup.

You sound like Anthony from our section. He hates Klein. When they made the deal, I hated it. But it was out of necessity. Klein performed admirably. He didn't really do anything to stand out which is essentially why they acquired him. He's a 3rd pair guy. I hope Del Zotto does well. With him, it's mental. He has ability and tools. But is Philadelphia the right environment? They can be downright nasty. On a one-year contract, it gives MDZ a chance to prove himself. The Rangers see the Flyers 3 times between November 19-29. That includes Del Zotto's return on Rivalry Night 11/19. That should be a treat.

You sound like Anthony from our section. He hates Klein. When they made the deal, I hated it. But it was out of necessity. Klein performed admirably. He didn't really do anything to stand out which is essentially why they acquired him. He's a 3rd pair guy. I hope Del Zotto does well. With him, it's mental. He has ability and tools. But is Philadelphia the right environment? They can be downright nasty. On a one-year contract, it gives MDZ a chance to prove himself. The Rangers see the Flyers 3 times between November 19-29. That includes Del Zotto's return on Rivalry Night 11/19. That should be a treat.

I guess an interesting question would be, do you think that the Rangers still goto the Cup Final if say they make one less trade during the season?  Say, declining to trade either MDZ OR Callahan?  Obviously it's all hindsight at this point, but interesting to think about. 

Can't wait for 'Beginnings: Kevin Hayes'... Followed immediately by 'Endings: Matt Gilroy'.

1 person likes this

Meh.  Would've been nice to have him but I don't think his future is as a top 6 forward.

Can't wait for 'Beginnings: Kevin Hayes'... Followed immediately by 'Endings: Matt Gilroy'.

Then followed by "Summer of 94" and "Rangers 2014 Stanley Cup Finals: Return to Glory" on MSG Summer Ice!

The kid sounds like he could be a stud. Also played with Kreider, apparently.

Hope he doesn't amount to anything.

The kid sounds like he could be a stud. Also played with Kreider, apparently.

Hope he doesn't amount to anything.

I have no idea how good he is, but his senior year was the first time he broke more than a point a game, and that was on a stacked BC team.  It's also the first time he scored above 10 goals.  If you want to see what a real stud college player does, Parise had 61 points in 39 games as a freshman.  If he were also really amazing, Chicago, a team with cap issues that could use all the players on ELCs as it can get would have found a way to keep him.

I have no idea how good he is, but his senior year was the first time he broke more than a point a game, and that was on a stacked BC team.  It's also the first time he scored above 10 goals.  If you want to see what a real stud college player does, Parise had 61 points in 39 games as a freshman.  If he were also really amazing, Chicago, a team with cap issues that could use all the players on ELCs as it can get would have found a way to keep him.

No, Hayes was not playing there under any circumstances, and this was rather apparent early on.

No, Hayes was not playing there under any circumstances, and this was rather apparent early on.

He did that because he felt there wasn't a spot for him on the roster. So the point stands, if he was this can't miss type of prospect, or even Kredier-esque, they would have found a place for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rangers are at 50 contracts now, right? 

Edited by Marshall

Rangers are at 50 contracts now, right?

Tambellini and someone else can slide. Think they have 49 without Moore

Yeah, but they don't slide until the first cuts of training camp.  That means they'll have to move someone - I'd bet it's Danny Kristo for a conditional pick but I'm no prognosticator.

Out of conference but interesting nonetheless, Calgary signed Devin Setoguchi yesterday for 1 Year @ 750k, nice little signing for Calgary to fill out their Top 9. He'll probably play on either the 2nd or 3rd line RW. If I had to take a guess, probably on the 2nd line with Mason Raymond and Sean Monahan.

he'll probably do alright for them for no other reason than they don't have anyone else. They have such a terrible forward corps that he'll get quality playing time.

he'll probably do alright for them for no other reason than they don't have anyone else. They have such a terrible forward corps that he'll get quality playing time.

Yup, all they had after the Iginla trade was Cammalleri, and it's even a wonder he did so well considering the quality of his teammates and their style of play. And now he's gone.

seems like a weak source

It's certainly a weird source.  The last Devils' post on the site before this was a recap about a Devils/Rangers game in 2011, which is apparently the most recent Rangers related post.  The last post on the Knicks is from the NBA playoffs a couple of years ago.  The most recent stuff consists of a few posts about Giants/Jets preseason.

On the other hand, it's kind of a bizarre thing to just make up out of the blue and claim you have inside sources. 

Too many forwards as-is.  Don't see a use for Gomez at this point unless a move involving several bottom-6 guys is in the works.