Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Devilsfan118

2014 UFA Signing Thread

922 posts in this topic

Lupien going to the press is a desperate move.  He doesn't have many options.  And there's still other guys out - DeKeyser, Krug, Brenden Dillon, Ryan Ellis.  

There are holdouts every offseason but I can't remember there being THIS many. I thought the shoe would drop with Schultz and Barrie signing a couple of weeks ago but alas.

This isn't July/August anymore. Rookies are reporting after the weekend and Lupien basically came out two days ago saying Lou is being unreasonable which indicates they aren't close. You're right that it isn't an issue yet, but I think odds are that he is going to miss some time and that is pretty concerning because NJ is counting on Gelinas

as Lou always says- when you have time, use it.

I am not worried about the gelinas situation.

There is a tiny part of me that is waiting to see this ending up with Gelinas leaving.  Judging by the comments I see on here, other forums and FB group's, a large chunk of the fanbase will lose their sh!t because they see him as the second coming of Al MacInnis.

But I hope it works out for the best.

This Gelinas stuff is great news for Damon Severson if he is as close to the NHL as some people are saying.

Which is also why this is bordering on career suicide for Gelinas.  But hey might as well indulge an agent's twenty-year old grudge.

Which is also why this is bordering on career suicide for Gelinas.  But hey might as well indulge an agent's twenty-year old grudge.

Was it career suicide for Brendan Morrison, Bill Guerin, Jason Arnott, Petr Sykora, Patrik Elias, Bobby Holik, Scott Niedermayer (twice), etc.?  These players were all already more established.  I listed Morrison first because I think he is the best analogue.

Was it career suicide for Brendan Morrison, Bill Guerin, Jason Arnott, Petr Sykora, Patrik Elias, Bobby Holik, Scott Niedermayer (twice), etc.?  These players were all already more established.  I listed Morrison first because I think he is the best analogue.

Brodeur too, after winning Cup #1.  That one got ugly.  I remember Brodeur saying he'd never sign another contract with the Devils again (clearly he got over it)...and of course, we know how Lou felt about Lupien after the dust had settled. 

You said it yourself, those players were more established.  Gelinas was getting scratched and marginalized late last year and there are defensive prospects all around him either on the team already or close behind.

You said it yourself, those players were more established.  Gelinas was getting scratched and marginalized late last year and there are defensive prospects all around him either on the team already or close behind.

There's 29 other teams in the league, I don't think Gelinas will have trouble finding work.

There's 29 other teams in the league, I don't think Gelinas will have trouble finding work.

He just got off his ELC this year.  It'll be a while (at least two-three years) before he's UFA and his value isn't going to get any higher not playing or being a #6/7 d-man.

Wonder if he could be packaged for RoR.

Devils could desperately use an offensive blue chip prospect.

Maybe Gelinas is cementing himself as the odd man out.

Since they lost Stastny and replaced him with an old Iginla I would doubt the Avs would want to lose a young good forward like RoR. Would be great though.

There is a tiny part of me that is waiting to see this ending up with Gelinas leaving.  Judging by the comments I see on here, other forums and FB group's, a large chunk of the fanbase will lose their sh!t because they see him as the second coming of Al MacInnis.

But I hope it works out for the best.

I don't know about that, but he brings something the Devils have had been missing desperately from their blueline in a very long time.  If he is gone, it should be via trade.

Wow, that's..certainly an interesting tactic. 

I wonder who's really the delusional one - the player, or the agent.  Because there's no way in hell he deserves the money he's asking for.

Very interesting strategy, at least the fans know who the dumb one is with this negotiation. He isn't worth $6.5M per years after an entry level contract. Where do these agents get the idea they can hold up the teams?

I'm of the belief he is worth $6.5 million. 30 goals, 63 points, awesome 2-way player, all done during a season when he was 21. He's really really good.

I'm of the belief he is worth $6.5 million. 30 goals, 63 points, awesome 2-way player, all done during a season when he was 21. He's really really good.

He also shot something like 19%. With a normal shooting percentage, he has 20 goals, which is obviously less impressive. He's very good, but it's his first productive season and his work ethic has been called into question and was a healthy scratch in the AHL 15 months ago. Subban made MTL pay with a bridge because he significantly outperformed it. I think CBJ wants RJ to do the same

Edited by SMantzas

He also shot something like 19%. With a normal shooting percentage, he has 20 goals, which is obviously less impressive. He's very good, but it's his first productive season and his work ethic has been called into question and was a healthy scratch in the AHL 15 months ago. Subban made MTL pay with a bridge because he significantly outperformed it. I think CBJ wants RJ to do the same

13.9%.

Wow, that's..certainly an interesting tactic.

I wonder who's really the delusional one - the player, or the agent. Because there's no way in hell he deserves the money he's asking for.

Can you imagine Lou doing something like this? Rofl this is the anti-Lou strategy.

Just saw this on TSN:

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports Harding's off-ice injury is significant, and he's expected to be out months instead of weeks. McKenzie added is on crutches and in a walking boot.

Harding is one of three goalies on Minnesota's roster alongside Niklas Backstrom and Darcy Kuemper however Kuemper, a restricted free agent, is still unsigned.

Maybe they will sign Brodeur now.

Just saw this on TSN:

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reports Harding's off-ice injury is significant, and he's expected to be out months instead of weeks. McKenzie added is on crutches and in a walking boot.

Harding is one of three goalies on Minnesota's roster alongside Niklas Backstrom and Darcy Kuemper however Kuemper, a restricted free agent, is still unsigned.

Maybe they will sign Brodeur now.

Nope

@Russostrib: Bryzgalov tryout in works + re-sign Kuemper RT @Cberns44: @Russostrib What's the plan now that Harding is out for a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brodeur's looking for a real good team - he'll pass on Minnesota.  Plus there are still six teams interested in signing him.

If I'm Columbus, I can't really give Johansen an 8 year deal at what he 'deserves' because he's only had the one good year.  If he had two good years to work with they could come to an agreement, but they don't really have that.  You can see what happens with that with guys like Tyler Myers and Rusty Olesz.

Bobby Ryan signs seven year deal at above $7 AAV.  (Yes, he's not a UFA, but didn't want to start a new thread).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=732669&navid=nhl:topheads

Seems like a pretty bad deal.  The Blues got a much better deal for Statsny who is probably the better player. 

Can't compare the situations. Sens have lost Alfredsson and Spezza in consecutive off-seasons. They traded a lot for Ryan. They are a cap-floor team right now and won't be anywhere close to a cap team for a very long time if ever under Melnyk. The fanbase has gotten so down on their owner and the team. 

They needed to sign Ryan. His camp had the leverage. From that point of view. It's fine.