Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caron14

Devils buy out Volchenkov

99 posts in this topic

Yep just saw this. Dreger mentioned it too. I expected it after the cap # was released last week.

Yeah, I wonder if circumstances would've changed had the number been 71 million.  Good luck elsewhere, Anton.  Even though he was overpaid, he was awesome on the PK

Yeah, I wonder if circumstances would've changed had the number been 71 million.  Good luck elsewhere, Anton.  Even though he was overpaid, he was awesome on the PK

True story

Okay. I stand corrected on one point. Now do something productive with the money, Lou.

wow. im gonna miss Volchenkov as i was always a fan of the grit he brought.  but its something this team had to do as that contract was holding us back.

wish it was Sal (the worst player of the two) but at least this move saves us more money.   good to see Lou made the right choice here, now i hope he can follow that up with a terrific FA

wow. im gonna miss Volchenkov as i was always a fan of the grit he brought.  but its something this team had to do as that contract was holding us back.

wish it was Sal (the worst player of the two) but at least this move saves us more money.   good to see Lou made the right choice here, now i hope he can follow that up with a terrific FA

Ditto this for me, best of luck Atrain you tough SOB

a2MRM.gif

That's almost how I feel.

It's like dumping that gf you have had for a little too long who has been holding you down.  You try to let go of her gently but she is still there.  You have to make a decision and you do and finally she is gone and you are good to move on.

Liked Volchenkov and he'll still be an effective NHLer if he wants to stay in the NHL.  It's just what happens when you have better, cheaper options.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devils still in the market for a free agent D.

Liked Volchenkov and he'll still be an effective NHLer if he wants to stay in the NHL.  It's just what happens when you have better, cheaper options.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devils still in the market for a free agent D.

As I wrote in the other thread:

Now we wait to see if Lou replaces Volchenkov with some slightly cheaper and crappier defensive defenseman from the UFA bin.

As I wrote in the other thread:

Now we wait to see if Lou replaces Volchenkov with some slightly cheaper and crappier defensive defenseman from the UFA bin.

The Devils have the luxury of waiting, if they so choose, and waiting would be ideal - there are going to be some great deals after the smoke clears on Day 1 and teams cap themselves out.

Liked Volchenkov and he'll still be an effective NHLer if he wants to stay in the NHL. It's just what happens when you have better, cheaper options. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devils still in the market for a free agent D.

Agreed. I'm not sure this portends bringing back Fayne either. It sounds like he has a very hot market for himself. I don't want to get out of Volchenkov only to commit a different mistake of locking up a decent but one dimensional 2nd pairing guy to a long term deal.

To me this move was made obvious by the release of the cap numbers. I expect Lou to make some moves at forward first and foremost now.

The Devils have the luxury of waiting, if they so choose, and waiting would be ideal - there are going to be some great deals after the smoke clears on Day 1 and teams cap themselves out.

Agreed. Although the cap floorish teams may see that as an opportunity to pad their compliance with the floor (buffalo).

Now watch Lou sign Gionta with that money...

https://twitter.com/EricEngels/statuses/483448660189929473

Someone is offering Gionta more than the Habs are ($5 mil per year). See http://awinninghabit.com/2014/06/30/letting-brian-gionta-walk-right-move-montreal-canadiens/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Around%20the%20Network

I'd love to know who these teams are that are involved.

So we can all dream... We have statsny money!

thatd be amazing.  but don't sleep on Ryan O'Reilly, i personally think he may be a better option if we can pry him from the Avs (or an offer sheet, however that all would have to play out)

jesus, i am awfully nervous at who those teams are

Stralman could have been a tryout signee a few years back. I agree with Tri, unless it's Stastny I would wait until the dust settles. Trades or bargains can be had.