Remember when Cam Janssen scored 3 goals this season?

roomtemp

Cam played the best hockey of his career last season. He was actually solid when he played. But did the Devils need Janssen to play while having Josefson, Tedenby or Loktionov start...absolutely not.

Hopefully Janssen sees zero time in the NHL this season.because he simply isn't good enough to play in the NHL & even if it is possible for an event decent stretch for his standards, there are so many better options.

Edited by devilsrule33

He's basically given up fighting - only had 46 PIMs last year in 51 games.  That means at most he had 8 fights, and it's more likely that he had 6.  Way down from his high point.  Hockeyfights says he had 40 fights in the 2004-05 AHL season.  Good god.

I think we'll see him again if the team is struggling.

Edited by Triumph

He's basically given up fighting - only had 46 PIMs last year in 51 games.  That means at most he had 8 fights, and it's more likely that he had 6.  Way down from his high point.  Hockeyfights says he had 40 fights in the 2004-05 AHL season.  Good god.

Absolutely love that these guys give up fighting. 40 fvcking fights. Good god indeed. From so much that has been written, these guys seem to hate fighting. You just do what you need to do to make it. That's why it is almost insane to give these kind of players multi-year deals. We saw it with Peters and Boulton. They got some security, so they felt comfortable not fighting. They have established reputations, and that's good enough. Add it that there are so few guys for these kind of players to fight nowadays, they are useless.

From a few articles that have been written, a fighter might owe another fight, so a challenger might say, my team is down 3 goals, I need this fight because this is what I am expected to do, and the winning team\s player would oblige. There are none of those guys anymore.

These guys are past fighting. And coaches seem to realize that. Now it's protection and keeping the other team honest, or giving a spark or energy. Mostly silly things, but I am sure most hockey purists will say otherwise.

Absolutely love that these guys give up fighting. 40 fvcking fights. Good god indeed. From so much that has been written, these guys seem to hate fighting. You just do what you need to do to make it. That's why it is almost insane to give these kind of players multi-year deals. We saw it with Peters and Boulton. They got some security, so they felt comfortable not fighting. They have established reputations, and that's good enough. Add it that there are so few guys for these kind of players to fight nowadays, they are useless.

From a few articles that have been written, a fighter might owe another fight, so a challenger might say, my team is down 3 goals, I need this fight because this is what I am expected to do, and the winning team\s player would oblige. There are none of those guys anymore.

These guys are past fighting. And coaches seem to realize that. Now it's protection and keeping the other team honest, or giving a spark or energy. Mostly silly things, but I am sure most hockey purists will say otherwise.

I don't buy that for a second re: complacency.  These guys know where their bread is buttered.  Neither Boulton nor Peters got complacent (Peters especially, his fighting rate was the same) - I don't know why Peters was bought out, but Boulton was exposed to waivers and played in Albany briefly that year.  I mean, yeah, the last 5 fighters NJ has signed to multi-year deals have basically not played out their contract with NJ, but I don't think that's because they get complacent - Barch didn't play at all down the stretch, he complained about that, and he was eventually shipped out at the next training camp.  LeBlond got the coach a $10k fine and expressed zero remorse over that.  And so on.

I also think fighters are now underselling the thrill of fighting - yeah, obviously there's a lot of fear involved, but there's something darker than that in there, and I don't think it's something people like to talk about.

NJ hasn't been a real physical team over the last several years, so the fighters haven't really been called on do much.  

I don't buy that for a second re: complacency.  These guys know where their bread is buttered.  Neither Boulton nor Peters got complacent (Peters especially, his fighting rate was the same) - I don't know why Peters was bought out, but Boulton was exposed to waivers and played in Albany briefly that year.  I mean, yeah, the last 5 fighters NJ has signed to multi-year deals have basically not played out their contract with NJ, but I don't think that's because they get complacent - Barch didn't play at all down the stretch, he complained about that, and he was eventually shipped out at the next training camp.  LeBlond got the coach a $10k fine and expressed zero remorse over that.  And so on.

I also think fighters are now underselling the thrill of fighting - yeah, obviously there's a lot of fear involved, but there's something darker than that in there, and I don't think it's something people like to talk about.

NJ hasn't been a real physical team over the last several years, so the fighters haven't really been called on do much.  

Maybe you are right. It sure didn't seem like those guys the Devils signed liked fighting...the weird thing was they weren't actually good at it when they got here. You might know where your bread is buttered, but it's a tough fvcking job, and I think if they can get away not doing it, they would.

Some guys don't have that luxury as Scott Parker talked about with Bob Hartley. That sounded like pressure.

If you ever talked with Cam about fighting you'd know that he loves it. Not sure why his fight numbers were down, but I am sure it isn't due to his unwillingness. Now the A seems to be trying to lessen the amount of fighting and I am sure the NHL is watching closely.

Edited by hystyk28

Maybe you are right. It sure didn't seem like those guys the Devils signed liked fighting...the weird thing was they weren't actually good at it when they got here. You might know where your bread is buttered, but it's a tough fvcking job, and I think if they can get away not doing it, they would.

Some guys don't have that luxury as Scott Parker talked about with Bob Hartley. That sounded like pressure.

I mean yeah, I think if you know you're going to get beat a lot (as I imagine everyone NJ signed must've known), then you probably don't want to fight.  Janssen doesn't seem to win many fights either these days.

Cam played the best hockey of his career last season. He was actually solid when he played. But did the Devils need Janssen to play while having Josefson, Tedenby or Loktionov start...absolutely not.

Hopefully Janssen sees zero time in the NHL this season.because he simply isn't good enough to play in the NHL & even if it is possible for an event decent stretch for his standards, there are so many better options.

I agree, his skating looked better, he took better angles on the forecheck. He almost looked like he belonged out there. Seeing him score 3 times last year was great. He was ecstatic to have scored and if the joy on his face didn't bring a smile to yours, you are a soulless being, incapable of happiness lol. It's really too bad he's just not good enough to deserve a regular spot on the starting lineup because his enthusiasm is unmatched.

I believe it. Dude was a friggin' rock star during his first stint in Albany. Of course, the Rats weren't very good back then, so we loved our fighters. (Rob Skrlac's name is still spoken in reverent tones in the halls of the Times Union Center.) And it goes without saying that fighting has always been more prevalent in the AHL than in the NHL, what with guys trying to catch the attention of the higher-ups, though the trend away from fighting is being felt everywhere. In fact, the AHL just passed a rule where you get ejected after two fights in a game rather than three.

Anyway, the fact that Cam managed to score three goals in one NHL season probably shouldn't be that much of a surprise. I'm pretty sure there have been articles written about this, but Cam has really worked on his hockey skills in recent years. A combination of age and the culture shift with regards to fighting have led him to recognize that if he's going to continue to have a career as a professional hockey player, he needs to bring more than just fisticuffs to the table. He'll never be an offensive superstar, but if he can show that he's not completely useless on offense and he can bring the energy in more ways than just fighting, he'll stick around longer than if he was merely a one-dimensional punch-throwing machine.

I had the pleasure of being in attendance for two consecutive Cam Janssen goals and Martin Brodeur shutouts in the same game. I feel like the amount of people who can say that is very slim... the guy is pretty hilarious though. Every post game article asking him about the moment he scored... "I don't know, I blacked out."

Love Cam. He's a stand up guy.

I gave him one of my fan calendar giveaways last year after the game to sign, he scrolls through to his picture, and in front of the whole crowd of fans gathered for signatures squealed: "HAHA OH MY GOD I LOOK SO FVCKIN WEIRD.. CAN I HAVE THIS?!?".  

I handed him my extra calendar and he proceeded to make fun of every other players picture.

Fav Devil ever.

ill write for my cuz here but he and my bro was in upper deck at philly and wearing a janssen jersey and he missed him scoring from talking sh!t haha lol.

I was in the lower level, maybe 10 rows up along the side where he scored. I remember seeing it tip and knowing immediately it was his goal and jumping up like I was at the Rock. I'm amazed no one pelted me with anything, but the Flyers were pretty terrible at that point and I remember that game being pretty dead for them.