NHL Franchise Values (Per Forbes)

Neb00rs

Neboors, not trying to be a dick, but not sure what made you think those valuations from that site were anything close to being factual. Just look at those numbers. The Devils were sold for $320 million last year, which according to this would make them as valuable as the Bruins and top 5 or 6 teams in the league?

Some of the numbers posted there are probably half of what the teams are worth if they were to be sold. I'd say most of the teams in the league would be sold for more than what they think the Blackhawks are worth.

This guy has the Leafs at just over $500 million. MLSE had 75% of their stake (the most important part is the Leafs) sell for $1.3 billion.

Edited by devilsrule33

Neboors, not trying to be a dick, but not sure what made you think those valuations from that site were anything close to being factual. Just look at those numbers. The Devils were sold for $320 million last year, which according to this would make them as valuable as the Bruins and top 5 or 5 in the league?

Some of the numbers posted there are probably half of what the teams are worth if they were to be sold. I'd say most of the teams in the league would be sold for more than what they think the Blackhawks are worth.

No offense taken. It's based on Forbes valuations so it's a credible article, if you disagree with the values than that's exactly the kind of debate that should be had in this thread (NJDevs is often good for dispelling poor journalism and the reason people post things here all the time). It's the summer, it's a recent topical article, I posted it to stir up some conversation and see what others, such as yourself, have to say. It's worth a post imo.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ffeh45ekdk/1-toronto-maple-leafs/

Edited by Neb00rs

Neboors, not trying to be a dick, but not sure what made you think those valuations from that site were anything close to being factual. Just look at those numbers. The Devils were sold for $320 million last year, which according to this would make them as valuable as the Bruins and top 5 or 5 in the league?

This guy has the Leafs at just over $500 million. MLSE had 75% of their stake (the most important part is the Leafs) sold for $1.3 billion.

Point well taken. However, I think the Prudential Center revenue outside of the Devils was a huge factor in the acquisition as well as the final purchase price.

Just to underscore this point, here's this:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/prudential_center_joins_list_o.html

NEWARK — The Prudential Center in Newark has joined Madison Square Garden, the Staples Center in Los Angeles and the O2 Arena in London as being among the top 10 grossing arenas in the world.

What would be your calculations?

We have this debate every time Forbes comes out with numbers.  They're terrible, always.  They clearly have a formula based on certain things that doesn't take a lot of other stuff into account.  If they don't reflect what franchises actually sell for, what purpose do they have?

Agree with mort that the arena is the valuable thing in the sale of the Devils and not the franchise itself, but still.  The franchise and arena go together.

We have this debate every time Forbes comes out with numbers.  They're terrible, always.  They clearly have a formula based on certain things that doesn't take a lot of other stuff into account.  If they don't reflect what franchises actually sell for, what purpose do they have?

Agree with mort that the arena is the valuable thing in the sale of the Devils and not the franchise itself, but still.  The franchise and arena go together.

Nonetheless there's still the question of why they are so much lower than last year.

The team sold last year for $320 million. That is the minimum value of the franchise because, as Tri already said, the arena is tied to the team at the moment. When you factor in the new NHL TV money each team will be receiving, it is only likely that the value of the franchise would have increased slightly, or at the very least stayed the same since last years sale.

This debate goes beyond Forbes, too - whenever you have a proprietary formula for something and it spits out numbers that don't make sense, you will catch flak when they are way off.  Nate Silver's learning that lesson.  

Edited by Triumph

Nonetheless there's still the question of why they are so much lower than last year.

Honestly, I have no clue when that link is from that this guy wrote some crummy blurbs off of. It has no year, and doesn't include much information. The photos look fairly new, but as far as I know, Forbes hasn't come out with their 2014 list. They usually do that in-season.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/

Edited by devilsrule33

Yeah, Forbes has been going down the tubes in credibility. I'll believe the rankings that a paper like Wall Street Journal reports later this year over a click-bait article by Forbes. They're simply not a credible source anymore but are only somewhat viewed that way because of their name.

Honestly, I have no clue when that link is from that this guy wrote some crummy blurbs off of. It has no year, and doesn't include much information. The photos look fairly new, but as far as I know, Forbes hasn't come out with their 2014 list. They usually do that in-season.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/

I posted the direct link to Forbes at the top a few days ago. That's where the guy got it from.

I posted the direct link to Forbes at the top a few days ago. That's where the guy got it from.

I got it, but those don't have a date on it. Nowhere on Forbes site does it say the 2014 team valuations are up. It also doesn't make any sense that all of last year's values (accurate or not) would be cut in half by Forbes.

I got it, but those don't have a date on it. Nowhere on Forbes site does it say the 2014 team valuations are up. It also doesn't make any sense that all of last year's values (accurate or not) would be cut in half by Forbes.

Forbes also has traditionally released their numbers around Thanksgiving