Your All Time Devils Team

dmann422

Slow day here, can't find an old topic to bump- What is your all time team? Based on a player's career as a devil (ie shanahan only has 4 years, Rockies and scouts don't count).

I admittedly don't go back to the old days but I know enough to take a stab (not sure on line combos but tried to stay true to positions):

Elias-Muller-MacLean

Parise-Holik-Verbeek

Richer-Gomez-Sykora

Pandolfo-Zajac-Lemieux

Stevens-Niedermayer

Daneyko-Rafalski

Driver-White

Brodeur

Terreri

Extras:Madden, McKay, Martin

Goalies and the top 5 defensemen are pretty easy, it's the forward group that is open to debate after a few obvious choices.

Elias -- Arnott -- Sykora

Parise -- Zajac -- Kovalchuk

Lemieux -- Holik - Jagr

Verbeek -- Gomez -- Richer

Extras:  Madden, Langs

Stevens -- Niedermeyer

Daneyko -- Rafalski

Driver -- Greene

Extra:  Martin

Brodeur

Schneider

Note:  All selections are based on career playing for the Devils (Jagr) and I also take chemistry into account. 

Lemieux -- Holik - Jagr

Stevens -- Niedermeyer

Daneyko -- Rafalski

Driver -- Greene

Brodeur

Schneider

Note:  All selections are based on career playing for the Devils (Jagr) and I also take chemistry into account.

ohhh that second line though ugh

Lemieux -- Holik - Jagr

Extras: Madden, Langs

Stevens -- Niedermeyer

Daneyko -- Rafalski

Driver -- Greene

Extra: Martin

Brodeur

Schneider

Note: All selections are based on career playing for the Devils (Jagr) and I also take chemistry into account.

you have jagr's one year as a devil as being enough to make an all time team?

Slow day here, can't find an old topic to bump- What is your all time team? Based on a player's career as a devil (ie shanahan only has 4 years, Rockies and scouts don't count).

I admittedly don't go back to the old days but I know enough to take a stab (not sure on line combos but tried to stay true to positions):

Elias-Muller-MacLean

Parise-Holik-Verbeek

Richer-Gomez-Sykora

Pandolfo-Zajac-Lemieux

Stevens-Niedermayer

Daneyko-Rafalski

Driver-White

Brodeur

Terreri

Extras:Madden, McKay, Martin

Goalies and the top 5 defensemen are pretty easy, it's the forward group that is open to debate after a few obvious choices.

Agree on the top 5 D.  For the goalies, I think it's between Resch and Terreri at this point for #2, though it's likely only a matter of a couple of seasons before Schneider knocks them both out.

Terreri had at least league-average teams in front of him when he established himself (basically taking Burke's job in the process, which wasn't supposed to happen...it's an indictment of Burke as much as it is a testament to Terreri).  Resch never had a prayer with the chum he shared the ice with...there's really no understating just how awful his first few Rockies/Devils teams were.  I lean towards him as the guy behind Marty. 

Agree on the top 5 D. For the goalies, I think it's between Resch and Terreri at this point for #2, though it's likely only a matter of a couple of seasons before Schneider knocks them both out.

Terreri had at least league-average teams in front of him when he established himself (basically taking Burke's job in the process, which wasn't supposed to happen...it's an indictment of Burke as much as it is a testament to Terreri). Resch never had a prayer with the chum he shared the ice with...there's really no understating just how awful his first few Rockies/Devils teams were. I lean towards him as the guy behind Marty.

true on the goalies, I wasn't around for Chico to see how truly bad the team was, I can only look at the numbers. But you're right in that Chico probably meant so much to those early teams.

you have jagr's one year as a devil as being enough to make an all time team?

Yes.  He's basically the reason the team did not end up being one of the worst in the league.  Even at the prime of their careers with the Devils you couldn't say that about the others you would put in his place that aren't already on there.   I expect him to be just as good this year.  Even at this stage of his career he would fit in great on a line with Holik and Lemieux.  

Lemieux -- Holik - Jagr

Stevens -- Niedermeyer

Daneyko -- Rafalski

Driver -- Greene

Brodeur

Schneider

Ugh I'd watch the sh!t out of this team.  

This was alot harder than I thought it would be...

Brodeur

Burke

Not sure how you can put Burke 2nd.  He had the nice run in '87-'88, and the Devils clearly don't get to the playoffs and then win a couple of rounds without him...but he was incredibly disappointing after that.  He couldn't even hold off Chris Terreri, who could best be described as likeably pretty good...and the Devils made no secret of the fact that they wanted Burke to be their guy...they gave Burke multiple chances to keep his job, but when Terreri kept out-performing him time and time again in 1989-90 and 1990-91, the Devils eventually (and begrudgingly) had to go with the guy who gave his team the best chance to win (especially since those Devils teams had to claw their way into the playoffs).  Burke also told to the fans who dared to boo him after watching three years of Burke's lackluster play that they could "go to hell".   

I can understand people picking Terreri or Resch (in terms of ability they were probably pretty similar, in that they could play pretty well on good teams (Resch showed that with the Islanders), but weren't the guys who could take you to a Cup final).  Resch's Devils numbers are awful (67-148-33 record, 4.09 GAA, .863 save%...not as bad in his era as they would be today), but those numbers are a reflection of the team in front of him.  Those Devils really were THAT bad.

This was alot harder than I thought it would be...

Elias-Arnott – Sykora

Parise- Muller-MacLean

Richer-Gomez- Lemieux

Madden-Holik-Langenbrunner

Stevens – Niedermeyer

Daneyko -- Rafalski

Fetisov- Kasatanov

Brodeur

Burke

Interesting call on Fetisov.

Not sure how you can put Burke 2nd.  He had the nice run in '87-'88, and the Devils clearly don't get to the playoffs and then win a couple of rounds without him...but he was incredibly disappointing after that.  He couldn't even hold off Chris Terreri, who could best be described as likeably pretty good...and the Devils made no secret of the fact that they wanted Burke to be their guy...they gave Burke multiple chances to keep his job, but when Terreri kept out-performing him time and time again in 1989-90 and 1990-91, the Devils eventually (and begrudgingly) had to go with the guy who gave his team the best chance to win (especially since those Devils teams had to claw their way into the playoffs).  Burke also told to the fans who dared to boo him after watching three years of Burke's lackluster play that they could "go to hell".   

I can understand people picking Terreri or Resch (in terms of ability they were probably pretty similar, in that they could play pretty well on good teams (Resch showed that with the Islanders), but weren't the guys who could take you to a Cup final).  Resch's Devils numbers are awful (67-148-33 record, 4.09 GAA, .863 save%...not as bad in his era as they would be today), but those numbers are a reflection of the team in front of him.  Those Devils really were THAT bad.

Simply based on the playoff run, other than Marty the Devs donot have a goalie to really look at, so I decided to go withthe guy who gave us the most exciting playoff run other than Marty...

I agree too.  I did like Fetisov but dammit I have trouble sometimes letting go of his bad decision that lead up to the GWG Matteau goal in 1994 ECF game 7.

Probably just the rose colored glasses, I just seem to remember Fesitov & Kasatanov being a really big deal for NJ, and I could NOT put White in the top 6, Driver probably belongs, but I went in another direction...

Probably just the rose colored glasses, I just seem to remember Fesitov & Kasatanov being a really big deal for NJ, and I could NOT put White in the top 6, Driver probably belongs, but I went in another direction...

Yeah I mean that is fine and honestly I had White in my top 6 as well as Fetisov until I thought about it longer and figured that Greene and Driver were better defenseman.  I also considered Albelin as well in the last spot there too.

Remember Sergei Starikov (#4)?  He started the season with the Devils that year too (89-90)...supposedly he was so happy to be coming to NJ that he partied his ass off before the season started and was woefully out of shape.  His NHL career lasted all of 16 games. 

Fetisov and Kasatonov coming to NJ was a very big deal (as it was back then with Russians in general), for reasons good and bad.  They weren't on speaking terms when they played in NJ...Kasatonov sided with Russian authorities when players like Fetisov were outspoken about leaving the USSR to play in the US...I remember Gary Thorne saying during one of Kasatonov's early games as a Devil that Lou had had a sitdown with both players and basically told them that their feud had better not become an issue in the locker room or on the ice in any way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Parise-Zajac-Jagr
Elias-Arnott-Sykora
Pandolfo-Madden-Brylin
MacLean-Holik-Richer
Ex. McKay, Verbeek, Lemeiux

Stevens-Niedermayer
Rafalski-Greene
Daneyko-White (Dat 3rd Pairing)
Ex. Driver

Brodeur, Terreri (Schneider as an extra, although we're very sure he'll be All-time list worthy)

Coach:  Jacques Lemaire (Although I'm sure he would bench Jagr for his defensive play :giggle: )