2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

Yeah, hell of a ridiculous run on the Sens' part. They deserve their berth.

If Boston wins in regulation or OT (but before a shootout) and Pittsburgh loses in OT or a shootout, then the tiebreaker will come down to goal differential, in which case Pitt is almost guaranteed to get in.

Edited by Neb00rs

If I was you, I'd be furious too. It's this kind of thing that got me to drop Gamecenter a few years ago. All that money paid and you've still gotta stream games.

Haven't had an issue with this type of thing in years either. Never usually have an issue with games airing on CI. I don't get what happened here, and I'd appreciate an explanation from someone...

Was at the Flyers game today, in my boss's superbox seats. Let me tell you.. That might have been one of the best experiences I've had at a hockey game in ages.

I've gotta be honest - I'd put the Wachovia Center above the Rock in terms of overall fan experience. The walk-in bars on the lower level were especially great.

Go Sens go!

Haven't had an issue with this type of thing in years either. Never usually have an issue with games airing on CI. I don't get what happened here, and I'd appreciate an explanation from someone...

Well, this is how I get all sports and local coverage for all regions:

I use this trickster move,  subscribe to DirecTV's regional sports package. When I'm away, I use DirecTV's GenieGO stream(recorded - real time delayed) when I'm on the road.

At least with DirecTV's regional sports package you get ALL games plus desired, pre and post programming 24/7/365... unlike NHL CI which is just the games during the season and when the game is over, wham, DirecTV logo/music.

Annual 'Regional Sports Pack' totals: $~168.00

http://www.directv.com/sports/sports_pack

http://www.directv.com/sports/sports_pack#

You can also MHL your GoGenie video to friends TVs if compatible.

Sutter is going to be a fixture in LA for a long time unless the Kings really go downhill next year or he steps down. This is just the team letting out their emotions on a frustrating season, and add in a little hyperbole on Brooks's part and you've got a controversy.

Edited by Neb00rs

Notes:

If ever there was such a thing as an NHL version of "Beast Mode' it would be Jamie Benn. He tore up the NHL in the last three months (including a 1980s-esque 15 points in his last 6 games), managing to come into reach of the points lead going into tonight. Dallas fans were scared he wouldn't have a chance for the Art Ross with his linemate Seguin getting benched for the final game due to being late for practice. What did Benn do? Pssshhht. Who needs Seguin? Benn put up a hat trick and added an assist tonight against Nashville to win the Art Ross. The guy has 13 points in April...APRIL! Beast mode. (http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=807320)

With a .952 Sv% in 4 GS in April (including 4 straight wins), Jhonas Enroth was able to get his Sv% for the Stars up from the mid .800s to a .906 which is better than his .903 on the Sabres this year.

Jagr finishes with 18 points in 20 games for the Panthers. imo Florida would be a great place for him to continue his career next year.

With Stone picking up another two goals today and Johnny Hockey not scoring a point, the two officially tie for first place in the rookie point race.

Tyler Toffoli really had an outstanding year; he went from 29 points in 62 games last year, to 49 points in 76 games this year. He also led the league in SH points with 6.

Despite not having the nearly as fast a start as he had last year (in which he led the league in points for awhile) Alexander Steen actually scored two more points this year (64) than last year (mostly due to his 17 points in January).

MA Fleury finishes the season with a career high and league leading 10 shutouts (5 more than he has ever had). 

Despite a fast start on the Pens, David Perron ended up scoring at the exact same .5 points-per-game rate as he did on the Oilers. So much for that.

Anders Lindback finishes with a .924 Sv% in 16 GP for the Sabres, after putting up an .875 Sv% in 10 games for the Stars.

Andrei Markov finishes with 40 assists, the first time he's reached that mark since 2008-09 in which he had 52. 

With an assist on Casey Bailey's first NHL goal, Dion Phaneuf picked up his 400th career point.

Cam Atkinson continues to look good; with a goal today he finishes the season at a career high 22 on the season.

Meanwhile, David Savard more than doubled his career high in points this year, finishing with 36 (scored 15 points in 70 GP last year).

As much as it might piss some people off around here, I have to say, Scott Hartnell impresses me. In a season in which the top players scored less across the board, Hartnell put up 60 points.

Pete Mrazek finishes the season stopping 35 of 35 shots against the Hurricanes and has a season stat line of 16-9-2, 3 SO, .918 Sv%, 2.38 GAA. He's probably your starter in Detroit next year...or before.

First NHL goals:

Landon Ferraro - C - DET (http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2014021224-7-h)

Casey Bailey - C - TOR (http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2014021221-201-ingame-h)

Jonathan Marchessault - C - TB (http://ttp://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2014021225-226-h)

Edited by Neb00rs

For the record, the last time the league leader in points scored less than 90 points in a full season, was 47 years ago in 1967-68, in which Stan Mikita of the Blackhawks had 87 points in 72 games. Back then there were only 12 teams in the league and there was a 74 game schedule. 

Jamie Benn averaged 1.06 points-per-game this year, and that is the lowest rate of scoring for the league points leader since Toe Blake led the league with 47 points in 48 GP in 1938-39 (.98 points-per-game). The all-time lowest scoring rate among all league points leaders in NHL history, belongs to Ace Bailey, who in the 1928-29 season scored 32 points in 44 games played (.73 points-per-game) for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Edited by Neb00rs