2015 All-Stars...Elias NJ's lone rep...

DevilMinder

Odd pick but Patrik is owed a few from the early 2000s when he was one of the best LWs in the game but would get left out because Brodeur, Niedermayer and Stevens were already on the team and they had to make sure they squeezed in a rep from all of the other teams.

Edited by Lateralous

Yeah, they are.

I too am shocked it's not Jagr, but I'm guessing the NHL knew he wouldn't show if offered anyway based on his interview earlier (or maybe even offered and he turned it down?), and they needed to pick someone from our god awful team, so it may as well be one of the other beloved old guys.

I personally would have gone Andy Greene, but he's again too good at his job and flies way below the radar.

Edited by thelastonealive

If you are really picking the deserving guy THIS year (if any Devil at all actually does deserve to be an all-star) it's Green or possibly Jagr, but Elias got picked because he seems to be the Devils perennial go-to rep for these kinds of things and is the biggest name currently identified with us.

Schneider doesn't deserve it because there are only so many goalies that can go. Though he isn't too far behind some of the goalies selected.

Who cares. All-Star games from any sport are pointless gibberish. It's on big circle jerk by the sports' elite who could care less.

:rolleyes:

No offense to you personally but every year you get people on this board repeating this sh!t. It's like "We know, the all-star game means nothing and you don't care for it." Nobody is claiming the event is anything important. But this thread is here for those that want to talk about it. I mean, the thread is about Elias being selected to the AS team. Did you really just make a post offering analysis on the existentialist validity of all-star games in general? lol.

Edited by Neb00rs

Okay, I like Elias, but let's get real here, he's not even close to any conceivable definition of an All-Star. He's just not. On a terrible Devils team, he wouldn't even rank as one of the top-seven Devils players in any measurable impact rankings for the TEAM this season. So the question is: Is this a legitimate offering to a player who has separated himself from his colleagues in a significant way, or more simply, a lifetime achievement award that happened to be awarded at this random time in his career. You make the call.

And as to my two cents on the Jagr All-Star deal, Jagr clearly deserved the nod over Elias but he made it perfectly clear that he didn't want to be part of the All-Star lineup - he said he didn't deserve it and i give him tons of credit for being honest. As such, if Jagr isn't deserving, I think it pretty much goes without saying that no other Devil is deserving of a trip to All-Star weekend. And I don't give a crap about the NHL's stupid obsession (read: money) with trying to get at least one representative from each team - so that argument falls on deaf ears for me. If somebody is worthy, by virtue of his stellar play this season, not because of his name, his reputation, his historical production, etc., then said person should be invited to the All-Star game. And if eight teams, or ten, or 12, happen to have no representatives, well, tough sh!t.

Anyhoo, I just felt like weighing in on this perfectly frustrating season ... even when the Devils get rewarded, I'm still pissed. 

p.s. When does the 2015-2016 season start again? 

Cory's really been the Devils' best player overall this season and probably deserves to go more than any other Devil, but yeah, hard to make a compelling case for any of the Devils deserving to be an All-Star this season. 

I don't care much about the game myself (or any All-Star-type games), but Elias' selection feels more like a Lifetime Achievement bone throw...for reaching 1000 points, for spending his entire career with one team and being one of the faces of his franchise, for being a borderline Hall Of Famer...as long as one player from each team has to make the team (a rule I don't agree with), I'm fine with a player or two like Elias being an All-Star.

This stuff evens out. Elias got screwed when he was in his prime because of this rule, now he gets on past his prime because of it.