New York Mets 2015 Season Thread

'7'

Duda avoids arbitration, signs a 1-year, $4.2 mil deal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/97236/duda-mets-settle-to-avoid-arbitration

As the article states, he's under control through 2017.  I'm guessing if his 2015 season is anything like 2014, the Mets might buy out his last two arb-eligible seasons and sign him to a 4 or 5 year deal. 

BTW Bobby Ojeda won't be on SNY next season...he wanted more money and SNY said no:

http://nypost.com/2015/01/29/bob-ojeda-denied-raise-bolts-sny-after-6-years/

Anyway, just from plugging around the web, there's talk that the Mets might convert Gee into a long reliever instead of dealing him.  Of course, even if they do that, there's still a LOT of starting pitchers in the system (in no particular order):

Harvey

Niese

deGrom

Colon

Wheeler

Montero

Syndergaard

Verrett (just to refresh everyone's memory, he gave up an insane amount of hits for the first 3/5ths of the season or so at Vegas, then suddenly found a groove)

Matz (probably a longshot to make the team but I can't rule him out either)

The last thing I want to see is Montero and Syndergaard sent to Vegas yet again.  Don't really want to see Matz get stuck there for too long either.  Maybe the Mets revisit Desmond...too early to say.  But I don't know how much longer that logjam should remain.  I'm all for depth, but too many guys are ready or very near-ready to pitch with the big club.

CR: Verrett actually got taken by the O's in the Rule 5 in December.

It's really too bad we had such little interest in getting better this winter with Harvey coming back, the Braves taking a step back, and all of the NL runner-up teams looking meh.

I'm excited for the season, because I always am, whether we're projected to win 50 games or 100, but damn, I really thought this was the time to STRIKE with that over-the-top move with the prospects (and the sad part is I actually thought it might happen, but of course I gave too much credit to Sandy and the Wilpons).

Edited by nmigliore

Thanks nmig.  Didn't know that about Verrett.  If he doesn't make their roster (or stay on it), they have to give him back to the Mets, correct? 

Sandy was extremely disappointing this off-season, no doubt about it.  But if this team is right there and it looks like they need a player or two to make them legit contenders, I'm (foolishly) hopeful that Sandy will actually, you know, show a fvcking pulse and do something significant.

Well the good news is that this *should* be the best team we've fielded in years and some projections think we're a fringe wild card contender as is.... but I remain skeptical because I don't trust the position player core (sorry Wright, as much as I love ya) and the team's chances lay in the hands of the most volatile asset in the game.

The real WTF with this team is the fact that Flores is going to be the SS.  That's scary. 

The offense is clearly being built on the following:

Duda approximates 2014.

Wright approximates 2012 (I think he's done as a star player).

Murph continues to be a solid pro hitter with limitations.

Lagares and d'Arnaud build off last season.

Granderson isn't invisible at the plate for several weeks at a time.

Flores improves.

Cuddyer stays healthy and produces.

Basically, it's a house of cards.  Some of the above could happen, but there is definitely the potential for a lot of Mets' SPs to think "What the fvck do we have to do to win ballgames?!"  

Maybe this year we should try to shoot for the NJDevs gettogether lol.  I didn't even GO to Citi Field at all last year, usually I at least make a couple trips a year but being irrelevant for the fifth straight year is tiresome...and incidentally why the tank/blow it up talk irks me in the hockey threads, be careful what you wish for.  The Devils may just wind up like the Mets.

It's not even so much that Sandy doesn't make a move that irks me (even though yeah this year it's a little Idzik-like that you know what the weaknesses are and he refuses to address it), it's the fact that he's so troll-ish to continually make light of and joke about it.  Like his comment about how 'everyone has been waiting for me to introduce a shortstop all winter' when he was introducing Cal Ripken at some awards thing last week.

It's a shame what happened with Bobby O, though he got angry old man syndrome time and again he was also a great analyst.  Maybe it's better they go away from the '86 Mets a little with their next hire - though I don't want the booth to change anytime soon - but I have no idea how Nelson Figeuroa (the rumored replacement) is going to work out.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Haha holy crap Nelson Figueroa is the rumored replacement?! What a weird find. I honestly rarely watch the pre- or post-game anymore anyway but Bobby O's act tired me out really quick when I did watch, so not sad to see him go. 

Gonna miss KB but the booth is the 3 kings.... it's going to be a sad day when they split. Best broadcast team in the game, I don't care whether I'm biased. 

Edited by nmigliore

Sandy can be hard to take for sure. He doesn't come off well...basically seems to have a "Well they keep paying me so I keep staying" attitude. Both he and the Wilpons seem to have contempt for their fanbase. They are a gaggle that is really hard to figure out. I don't think that I've ever seen a GM be as comfortable cracking jokes about his lack of creativity as Sandy is.

Yeah, I am absolutely up for a game day GTG this year. Hoping it happens this year.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think I've only met Hasan at a game before, right? That was the epic Harvey/Strasburg game, which was one of my favorite games I've been too. If we do target a game, definitely a mid-summer weekend game would be best. I swear ANY freakin' April/May game I get tickets for the weather ends up being a total joke. 

And yeah, +1 to the annoyance with Sandy's jokes... the joke is on him. For a guy who makes Omar look like a toddler in the public speaking department he definitely has his moments where he look like a clown and embarrasses the organization. 

Edited by nmigliore

I think I've only met Hasan at a game before, right? That was the epic Harvey/Strasburg game, which was one of my favorite games I've been too. If we do target a game, definitely a mid-summer weekend game would be best. I swear ANY freakin' April/May game I get tickets for the weather ends up being a total joke. 

And yeah, +1 to the annoyance with Sandy's jokes... the joke is on him. For a guy who makes Omar look like a toddler in the public speaking department he definitely has his moments where he look like a clown and embarrasses the organization. 

Yes to both.

Maybe mid-May to early June?  I don't really want to go when it's superhot either although I could always get a club ticket if I was really worried about the weather I suppose.

If we make this happen...I'll even supply the food and drink.  Mid-May to June sounds good. 

I'm guessing I'll be the oldest one by a country mile?  I'm 44 and will be 45 on June 24. 

Let's see (I'll include promos if anyone cares):

5/15 Fri Brewers 7:10 - Free Shirt Friday

5/16 Sat Brewers 7:10 - Fedora giveaway

5/17 Sun Brewers 1:10 - Zach Wheeler Magnet Card

5/29 Fri Marlins 7:10 - Free Shirt Friday

5/30 Sat Marlins 4:10 - Beach towel giveaway

5/31 Sun Marlins 1:10 - Sunglasses giveaway

6/12 Fri Braves 7:10 - Free Shirt Friday

6/13 Sat Braves 4:10 - Wright Replica Jersey

6/14 Sun Braves 1:10 - Cap giveaway

And yeah I'll be 37 in April...7 'might' be older if he wants to join on this shindig

Edited by NJDevs4978

Damn nmig...I would've guessed you were 22 tops. You ain't kiddin'...time does fly indeed!

The real WTF with this team is the fact that Flores is going to be the SS.  That's scary. 

The offense is clearly being built on the following:

Duda approximates 2014.

Wright approximates 2012 (I think he's done as a star player).

Murph continues to be a solid pro hitter with limitations.

Lagares and d'Arnaud build off last season.

Granderson isn't invisible at the plate for several weeks at a time.

Flores improves.

Cuddyer stays healthy and produces.

Basically, it's a house of cards.  Some of the above could happen, but there is definitely the potential for a lot of Mets' SPs to think "What the fvck do we have to do to win ballgames?!"  

The key with Lagares is health as well. He seems to always come up with a muscle pull or something just as he's getting hot at the plate. Would like him to be a little more selective at the plate as well.

I'd sign for .275 .330obp 18hr 80 rbi from Wright. And he seems destined for a DL stint as well. Hopefully a short one

They're pulling in right-center at Citi Field. The whole Citi Field is a Canyon argument gets buried in 2015 because the dimensions (give or take a foot here or there) are pretty much Shea's. Hopefully Duda and Granderson can take advantage of right and right center more-so than the opposition

Oh and Adam Laroche is out of the division. That's got to count for 3-4 extra wins.

Edited by '7'

.330 OB% isn't good enough for Wright. Mets already have too many low OB% guys in the lineup (Sandy seems to love guys who strike out a lot, don't hit for a particularly great average or get on base a lot).

.330 OB% isn't good enough for Wright. Mets already have too many low OB% guys in the lineup (Sandy seems to love guys who strike out a lot, don't hit for a particularly great average or get on base a lot).

It's not. But he was at .324 last year. I don't know what to really expect from him at 32. So I played it conservatively. Nobody knows how a player ages at the plate until they get there...and David Wright isn't aging very well. A David Wright AB used to begin at 0-2, then he would foul off everything and draw it back to 3-2. He would make the pitcher throw a ton of balls. What happened to that guy. Nowadays it's 0-2 and he's flailing at something outside.

What's odd is that you still have a faction of Mets fans who blame the 2006 home run derby for messing up Wrights swing...permanently. I'm serious, I still see people bring it up on message boards.

Edited by '7'

I'm hoping for something along the lines of a .280 BA/.360 OB% 20 HR 35 2B from Wright.  The Mets are simply going to need this from him.  I didn't include RBI because I simply don't know how many opportunities he's going to have.  The only guys outside of Wright who have solid records of getting on base are Duda and Cuddyer, which won't help David because I can't see Wright not batting third.  The guess here is unless something changes, Wright will often be looking to drive in Lagares (.321 OB% last season...that will probably improve, but who knows by how much), and Murphy (career .333 OB%). 

Of course, if Herrera is tearing up AAA the way he did AA, does Sandy dare say fvck it and move Murph to make room for him?  I say if the Mets are contending and Murph is doing what Murph does (his numbers over the last three seasons are very similar:  OPS% of .735, .734, and .735), then they probably just keep him and let him walk at the end of the year.  You at least know what you get with him...I don't Sandy has the cojones to roll the dice and bet on Herrera being able to step right in and approximate would Murph would bring right off the bat.  I can't blame him on that count...especially since I think Murph performing at 2012-14 levels probably doesn't bring back as much as we'd like in a deal.  I think the best scenario is Murph has a career year (think .315+ BA/.355 OB%/10+ HR), the Mets say "Thank you very much", someone else overpays him this offseason, and Herrera has a job to lose in 2016. 

Depends on how the Mets are doing re: Murphy. If they're competitive and in a race or two, and Murphy is playing well AND Dilson is doing well in AAA...I don't think Sandy will want to rock the boat (and how often does he rock the boat anyway?)

Depends on how the Mets are doing re: Murphy. If they're competitive and in a race or two, and Murphy is playing well AND Dilson is doing well in AAA...I don't think Sandy will want to rock the boat (and how often does he rock the boat anyway?)

Yeah, pretty much how I see it.  If Murph is playing to typical Murph levels or above, can anyone guarantee that a 21-year-old Herrera can match or exceed that (even if he's tearing up AAA, which as we know is hard to read due to the uber-hitter-friendly PCL)?  Sure, the Mets will lose Murph for nothing, but if they're contending, I don't see how Sandy can chance Herrera coming up and not being ready to go.

I think if the Mets do trade Murph, you deal for a couple of low-level good-upside prospects.  I don't think they'll get anyone that will help them right away.  But I'd rather take a shot with a "could be something in 2-3 years" over a couple of "meh"s.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Sounds like we're pretty much in agreement...only way Mets can really move Murph is if they're completely out of it.

I don't get what the endgame is regarding the pitching staff.  Can Gee handle going to the pen?  Will he be able to transition in-season if/when a rotation spot opens up or will he just be bypassed by a AAA guy?

It's too bad they couldn't trade Colon but I guess you can't take his nearly 200 innings every year for granted given Niese and Gee never hit that plateau.  They could use more bullpen help but ideally it'd be a vet that has already pitched in the bullpen.

Edited by NJDevs4978