Clarkson to Jackets for Nathan Horton

Derlique

http://m.thn.com/blog/clarkson-for-horton-trade-a-legal-and-brilliant-circumvention-of-the-salary-cap/So what year do they need to surrender their picks Gary? 'Spirit of the CBA' right?

yes, exactly this. This IMO is a more blatant example of cap circumvention than any retirement contracts because there are only a handful of teams that could afford to make this kind of move. If the cap is in place to keep all teams at the same level of spending, how can you allow this move? This is blatantly against the "spirit" of the CBA.

Everyone and their mother should have seen the Clarkson fall off based on how he ended the last lockout season. He was cold as ice for as long as he was hot in the beginning of that season.

Honestly I can't complain that the NHL wasn't going after this for cap reasons as this feels like trading our 1st rounder for cap relief.

Edited by roomtemp

I mean I would've considered this deal for Clarkson if they picked up some of his salary. But clearly they wouldn't do that.

Supposedly Toronto had another team with a long term IR contract they were also talking to. Might have been us but there were rumors that Ottawa and a few others were in the mix.

This is very clearly not salary cap circumvention.  It's legal to trade injured players and LTIR is a mechanism that exists in the CBA.  Plus Horton could get healthy.  If anything, Malakhov to SJ represents cap circumvention more than this trade.

you are right that by the letter of the law this is not cap circumvention, just as the kovy contract was not cap circumvention. But there is a reason the leafs can make this move and a team like Carolina can't- They're willing to use their mounds of cash to pay off a player to get cap relief. Not every team could do the same and that's why IMO it is against the spirit of the cap.

you are right that by the letter of the law this is not cap circumvention, just as the kovy contract was not cap circumvention. But there is a reason the leafs can make this move and a team like Carolina can't- They're willing to use their mounds of cash to pay off a player to get cap relief. Not every team could do the same and that's why IMO it is against the spirit of the cap.

The first Kovalchuk contract was a clear example of cap circumvention.  The only reason why you think it's not is because of all the cap circumventing contracts the NHL allowed before that one.

Your example works the same with paying a player a lot of money, or sending a player to the minor leagues who makes a lot of money, or using cap space to dispose of unwanted contracts + getting assets besides (like SJ with the Malakhov contract).  The salary cap was never intended to have all of the teams on an equal footing, otherwise the gap between the upper end and lower end would be much smaller.  It's intended to A: force poor teams to have to spend to a certain threshold and B:  to limit rich teams on their spending.

Edited by Triumph

And thus, Sterio's infinite worth to the board is reaffirmed.

For sure -- yes Sterio -- you should seriously speak in images only -- it's just more articulate and very little room for misinterpretation :D Honestly!  You have good things to say -- it's just all those words get in the way  :P

Toronto sucks.  Clarkson is not Gomering out.  He knew what he was doing - his stupidity isn't his self-love but his trust in the leafs.  Columbus isn't too far away and quite honestly - I'd just retire if I were him.  I mean -- going to the Leafs said a lot about his ambitions.  I always said that.  He wanted to relax and enjoy the fruits of his labor.  He loves a certain brand of hockey enough that he can just relax now - get the payout and then do local coaching and stuff.  he really doesn't thirst for the Cup, you know?  He's a happy guy.  He's done - the minute he signed with Toronto -- I mean come on -- you KNOW -- he knew - he;s not a total idiot and sure we sometimes need to blow sunshine up our own skirt but David knew ... there is nothing sad about this or I told you so or anything. 

I DO think he ought to hang 'em up the first chance he gets after making top $$ because now is the down slide where his values get all fvcked up and he ruins his family life and his hometown life and all that.  STICK WITH THE CHOICE YOU MADE AND DON"T fvck IT UP BEFORE YOU GET TO THE FINISH LINE, SON!!!

The only team he can play for outside of these mid-west boundaries (Columbus is close enough to TO) is NJ.  Lou's NJ.  Unless he's grown up some, he will screw up his life if he leaves the gravitational pull of Toronto.  Just my 2 cents :uni:

What a disastrous two yeara for him.

And for Columbus. They already had something like 350 man games lost to injury. Now with Clarkson out for the rest of the season, you gotta think they're closing in on some sort of NHL record for number or games lost due to injury. Absolutely crazy how many players they had on their starting roster have been injured for significant time this season.

Believe what you will, but supposedly a Leafs-Devils swap involving Clarkson and Clowe was close to happening:

http://m.torontosun.com/2015/03/07/who-will-be-the-first-leaf-to-fall-kessel-or-phaneuf

Under "HEAR AND THERE"

Personally if it's tit-for-tat, no money retained, I'd rather have Clowe and be able to LTIR if he stays injured or if he returns, get out of the contract two years earlier than with Clarkson. Clarkson's contract might be unmoveable 2017 and after. Heck, as it is, it's already unmoveable.

Edited by Neb00rs