MMA and Combat Sports Thread

thefiestygoat

It's the summer, things are slow, and I think there may be something interest in this thread.

Some of the major MMA promotions that have events coming up in the next few weeks:
6/13 - UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum (full card)
6/19 - Bellator 138: Kimbo Slice vs. Shamrock (full card)
6/20 - One Championship 28: Dynasty of Champions (full card)
6/20 - UFC Fight Night: Jedrzejcyk vs. Penne (full card)
6/26 - Bellator 139: Kongo vs. Volkov (full card)

Invicta isn't back until July and WSOF until August. There will be plenty of other upcoming UFC and Bellator events in the meantime.

Some of the minor MMA promotions that you can find on AXStv on Friday nights:
6/12 - CES MMA 29: O'Neil vs. Steele (full card)
6/26 - LFC 42: Legacy Fighting Championship 42 (full card)

In terms of other combats sports, Glory Kickboxing returns in August and I'm not sure when the next Lion Fight Muay Thai event will be. There is also plenty of boxing on various networks coming up soon so feel free to discuss that in here.

Some of my thoughts on UFC 188:
- Will Cathal Pendred finally put on a convincing performance? I became a fan of his since he was on TUF. He's Irish and is a part of McGregor's crew. With that said, his time in the UFC has been underwhelming despite being 3-0. A split decision win 2 fights ago and a controvesial decision in his last fight. He's appeared a bit lethargic in his striking at times so I'm hoping to see a bit more energy out of him this time. I don't know much about his opponenet Augusto Montano execpt for he's 15-1 but only has 1 UFC fight on his record. It is interesting that his 15 wins have all been either KO/TKO (10) or submission (5).

- Looking forward to Henry Cejudo vs. Chico Camus. I want to see if Cejudo can continue to develop and make good on his potential.

- I'm expecting Tecia Torres to get a victory over Angela Hill in the opening of the main card.

- Looking forward to seeing how Kelvin Gastelum fights at middleweight after all the weight cut trouble he had at welterweight. And of course, Melendez vs. Alvarez + Velasquez vs. Werdum should be entertaining fights.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple comments off the top after checking out the up coming cards I will be watching...

6/13 - UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum

• Champs go head to head...I'm going with Cain on this one, his power should see him through.
  • Alvarez without a doubt.
  • Pendred, Not sure how this will go, It's not like he isn't showing up on the stats card but I think he needs to perform in a way that will "convince" everyone he just doesn't fight for decisions.

6/19 - Bellator 138: Kimbo Slice vs. Shamrock

• Dear God...All the PED's in the world isn't going to allows these 2 not to get hurt! I think if Kimbo is taken to the ground he is all done not to mention his cardio SUCKS!. Ken will knocked out if he wants to stand up with Kimbo. I'm not sure :) 

Did you see UFC Manila?

• Edgar looked great as usual...he really knows how to manage time and stay moving!
  • Munoz was a great ending...glad he went out on a high note.

Lets not forget forget July 11th! 

I enjoyed UFC Manila, especially as an Edgar fan. That was a pretty clinical 5 rounds of fighting by him over Faber. Also glad that Munoz went out on good terms. Really enjoying the run that Neil Magny is on, 5 wins in 2014 and 2 so far in 2015.

I'm really pumped up for Aldo vs. McGregor. Hopefully no injuries so we get Lawler vs. MacDonald too. I'm also looking forward to seeing guys like Brandon Thatch, Matt Brown, and Thomas Almeida fight on that card.

Some random thoughts on UFC 188:

- Damn that altitude really took a lot out of some of those fighters. I read that about 6 fighters puked right after leaving the octagon.

- Awesome performance by Werdum...I knew I should've put a few bucks on him. :doh1:

- Alvarez coming back to win with a broken nose was mad impressive.

- Rodriguez - Rosa was very worthy of FOTN. I can't wait to watch more of Rodriguez in the future, he seems to have a well rounded game.

- Torres - Hill was very meh. I was expecting a comfortable victory for Torres but thought we'd see a lot more striking from both fighters.

- Camus proved to be a good test for Cejudo, it will be interesting to see what Cejudo's next match up will be.

- Helluva showing by Patrick WIlliams. Sets up the submission with raw power in 23 seconds. Nuts.

- Like Montano, I was disappointed in Trevino. Comes in with a 12-0 record and then wants to do everything (running, taunting) except fighting.

Pendred = Ugh

Sent from my TAB2 using TapaTalk

I actually can't get on Pendred for this fight. Yes, he's been extremely underwhelming in his UFC career but at least he showed up to fight last night. I am very disappointed in Montano. The guy comes in with a 15-1 record, all of his victories by finish, and essentially didn't want to fight at all. I have to give Pendred some credit for trying to (recklessly at times) engage Montano who was content to run in circles around the cage. It was nice to see Herb Dean warn Montano about not fighting though.

My tapatalk forum reader isn't working right! Trying to quote but it isn't copying everything...

I was VERY happy with the Alvarez outcome!! That was solid determination and heart. I was sitting on the edge rooting away! :)

You ALMOST have me back to telling myself to watch just one more Pendred fight but Im not sure lol

I dont want to talk about Cain! [emoji14]

Edited by Devlin

Kimbo did it! Where anyone else would have tapped, he didn't. Wow.

Kimbo looks like he might have a few more fights left in him but he better hand pick them wisely...ole 51yr old Shamrock should not fight anymore!

I generally enjoy bellator but that main event was embarrassing. It was a never was been versus an over the hill guy. If Shamrock wasn't 51 years old Kimbo would have never been able to get out of that choke. Then Kimbo can barely move around cause he's so slow and just swings and hits the old man.

The whole thing looked like scripted pro wrestling. I even kinda believe they rigged the whole thing. What a pathetic and embarrassing display that whole nonsense was.

Edited by Satans Hockey

My random thoughts....

Bellator 138
- Awesome performances by Michael Chandler and Daniel Straus to kick off the main card. It seems that Straus may get another title match against Patricio Freire.

- Bobby Lashley did what he had to do against an opponent that was clearly not ready for him.

- Daneil Weichel vs. Patricio Freire was wild! If Weichel had 2-3 more seconds in the 1st round, he would've won the belt. Instead he gets taken out on one punch early in the 2nd. Awesome comeback by Freire!

- I'd like to believe there was nothing fishy going on in Kimbo vs. Shamrock. Some are speculating that maybe Shamrock acted on his own and threw it. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and just thinking that the 51 year old man just didn't have enough to complete the choke for some reason.

- Bellator seems to like doing a mix of serious and legacy/freakshow fights. I wonder if they keep Kimbo around for a few more fights and feed him easy opponents.

One Championship 28
- Apparently this won't be available to be watched until July 4 for some reason.

UFC Fight Night 69
- I only watched the main card so far but what another dominating performance by Joanna Jedrzejczyk! She is really becoming a dominant champion. I gotta give Jessica Penne a ton of credit, she never gave up despite taking a ton of damage.

Finally, anyone else pumped up for the Bellator/Glory hybrid event that was just announced for September 19? It will have 3 featured tiers, the first is a Bellator light heavyweight title match between one of my personal favorites Liam McGeary and Tito Ortiz. The second tier will be 3 Glory Kickboxing matches which will feature Joe Schilling and Paul Daley. The third tier is a Bellator light heavyweight one night tournament between Phil Davis, King Mo, Emanuel Newton, and Linton Vassell.

Some of the upcoming events in the next 2 weeks...

6/26 - Bellator 139 - Kongo vs. Vokov (card)
6/26 - Legacy Fighting Championship 42 (card)
6/26 - Shooto Brazil 55 (card)
6/27 - UFC Fight Night - Machida vs. Romero (card)
7/3 - Resurrection Fighting Alliance 27 - Murphy vs. Brock (card)

Bellator is on Spike, UFC on FS1, LFC and RFA on AXStv, and Shooto Brazil on UFC FightPass.

That UFC Fight Night card has had all sorts of trouble with injuries. As or right now they only have 8 fights scheduled. I'm sure they're working on trying to get 1 or 2 more fights.

UFC 189 headliner in Jeopardy!

Jose Aldo possibly injured

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/6/23/8834287/report-jose-aldo-injured-ufc-189-bout-with-conor-mcgregor-in-jeopardy

It sucks but I would rather see them call off the fight that way we can see a 100% Aldo vs. his next title challenger. Rumors that Edgar may step up and take on McGregor on short notice! As a fan of both guys, I would be very excited but conflicted, though I'd have to pull for Edgar.

It sucks but I would rather see them call off the fight that way we can see a 100% Aldo vs. his next title challenger. Rumors that Edgar may step up and take on McGregor on short notice! As a fan of both guys, I would be very excited but conflicted, though I'd have to pull for Edgar.

From McGregors Twitter feed.

"Just know that it is business as usual up here at the top. See you all on July 11th."

I would love to see Edgar vs McGregor but my only problem is I'm a fan of both so not sure who I would be going for! ;) would be a great fight I think.

One of the best knockouts of the year happened last night in Bellator. So awesome.

https://youtu.be/Ia6T3q8k4_w

I missed everything last night!! was at PNC Art Center in the rain soaked...drinking makes it ok though :)

that look knowing you are about to get nailed is priceless!!! It's the old oh sh!t... this is gonna hurt!

I'm catching up with all the mma fights this morning.

Edited by Devlin

Some of the upcoming events in the next 2 weeks...

6/27 - UFC Fight Night - Machida vs. Romero (card)

Just finished watching this fight.

Not looking good for Machida... he dropped his last 3 fights now? I really thought he looked good in this fight with his movement and timing but he just didn't seem to have that striking strength.

I finally caught up on all of the MMA action from last weekend. My random thoughts:

Bellator 139
- I agree that Hisaki Kato's superman KO of Joe Schilling was one of the best of the year. I had never even heard of Kato before but I'll be looking out for him in the future if he gets more fights in the US. I love that Schilling competes in both kickboxing and MMA but it doesn't seem like his ground game is progressing enough to keep doing all of these MMA fights.

- I can't believe that David Rickels lost control and struck John Alessio with an illegal knee when he was one or two strikes away from finishing that fight. Tough pill to swallow but it was all of his own doing.

UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Romero
- Thiago Santos had a really sick head kick KO on Steve Bosse. It wasn't a great card but this moment made it worth it.

- Eddie Gordon seems to be a in a bit of a rut after winning TUF 19 last summer. He now has 3 losses in a row. The guy who just beat him, Antonio Carlos Jr., won TUF Brazil 3 as a heavyweight last year, then lost to Patrick Cummins at light heavyweight, and now has won his middleweight debut.

- Impressive win for Yoel Romero over Lyoto Machida. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Legacy Fighting Championship 42
- I know this is a smaller promotion and it's on AXStv but I really hope I'm not the only one who saw the televised portion of this card. The first 6 fights all ended with a 1st round finish. It was absolutely insane. Only the main event went the distance. Dana White was there scouting a few guys.

Just finished watching this fight.

Not looking good for Machida... he dropped his last 3 fights now? I really thought he looked good in this fight with his movement and timing but he just didn't seem to have that striking strength.

Machida is 1-3 over his last 4 fights - he had a TKO win over CB Dollaway mixed in. Not sure what his next move will be. He's already fought twice this year, maybe he'll take some time off.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Obviously UFC 189 has it's own thread. Some other events that are coming up:

7/9 Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin (card)

- 3 titles fights in this event. Cyborg - Van Duin for the Featherweight belt. Cyborg has already succesfully defended the belt once.

- The 2nd title fight is in the Bantamweight division. Tonya Evinger (6 fight win streak, 3-0 Invicta) against 27 year old up and comer Irene Aldana (5-1, 2-0 Invicta) who is a teammate of Alexa Grasso who is a name MMA fans should keep an eye out for.

- The 3rd title fight is in the Atomweight division. Herica Tiburcio against Ayaka Hamasaki. Tiburcio just won the belt from Michelle Waterson in December. She's 9-2 with a 4 fight win streak. Hamasaki is 11-1 (1-1 Invicta) and has won 2 fights in a row.

7/12 UFC TUF 21 Finale (card)

- Headlined by Jake Ellenberger - Stephn Thompson.

- Welterweight finale matchup for ATT vs. Blackzillions.

- Michell Waterson's UFC debut.

I still haven't caught up on the RFA action from last weekend.