MMA and Combat Sports Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thoroughly impressed again with that card... this has been a great summer of mma.

Sent from my TAB2 using TapaTalk

Same here. That Mir ko win was wild. They just kept throwing haymakers.

Holly Holm has been rather unimpressive so far though even though she won.

I'm dvring the fight morning from Scotland right now and will probably watch it tomorrow morning.

Edited by Satans Hockey

About to watch the Scotland card in a bit. Going back to FN: Mir vs. Duffee, I gotta say that is why I love to watch heavyweights. Completely reckless but you know you are going to see a KO. Jouban vs. Dwyer was also a really awesome fight. Ferguson made a big statement in his fight and now has won 6 in a row and 8 of his last 9 since moving back to lightweight. Holm may have lacked the killer instinct but I liked the way she controlled that fight. No doubt she can learn a lot from this one moving forward. I just hope they don't rush here, let her steadily fight here way up the rankings.

Bellator 140 was really awesome last night. 9 out of 12 fights ended in a finish. The only letdown was Honeycutt vs. Bradley ending with an accidental headbutt and ruled a no contest. Koreshkov was methodical, but not necessarily exciting in winning the welterweight title. 2 of my favorite guys just because of their huge personalities, Michael Page and Brennan Ward had KO wins, though they didn't face the best quality of opponents. Still a lot of fun to watch.

I still got Legacy 43 on the DVR to watch after the UFC Scotland event. One Championship 29 too (gotta love soccer kicks!).

• 2 weeks later...

Lol rousey murdered her and it was fantastic

I'm not even sure what to say anymore! lol...there isn't anyone left for her to fight! I havent paid attention for a bit but I think Cris is having a weight issue to even get a fight against Rousey, I think that was one of the problems with even making that fight happen.

• 1 month later...

Haven't had time to post much lately but WSOF 23 kicks off at 10 tonight on NBCSN. Headlined by a Lightweight title fight rematch between the champ, Justin Gaethje and challenger, Luis Palomino. The first fight was non-stop violence and one of the best fights of the year. The co-main is for the inaugural Light Heavyweight title between David Branch and Teddy Holder. Both of these guys finished their first matches in the 4-man tournament to get to this fight. Also, Branch is currently the Middleweight champion and has successfully defended that belt once already. I'm pulling for the guy to become a 2 weight class champion tonight. I also think this is the first event that Chael Sonnen will be commenting on for WSOF.

WSOF 23 was pretty awesome. Gaethje - Palomino 2 was non-stop action and picked up right where the first fight left off. Gaethje came through victorious again. Kid is now 15-0 with 13 finishes at the age of 26. I'd love to see him make the jump up to the UFC but I think he'd have to change his reckless style when he gets there, otherwise he won't be long for the promotion. Palomino wants to feature in the one night, 8-man LW tournament to crown a number 1 contender on November 20. Winner of course gets Gaethje but let's see if WSOF can pull off that tournament since they are getting some heat from the atheltic commission for it.

Branch took care of Holder fairly easily in the co-main to become the first 2 division champ in WSOF history. He plans on defending both starting in 2016. Timur Valiev was solid in his fight to move to 10-1. Phoenix Jones got his first WSOF win after losing his debut match in April. Brian Foster also had a 0:32 KO over LaRue Burley to kick off the main card.

Tonight it's finally time for Bellator: Dynamite! MMA and kickboxing under the same roof! Prelims start at 6:30 online and the main card starts at 9.

Liam McGeary makes his first Light Heavyweight title defense against Tito Ortiz. The main card starts out with the one night, 4-man Light Heavyweight tournament with King Mo vs. Linton Vasell and Emanuael Newton vs. Phil Davis. Paul Daley is also on the main card as a kickboxer. Glory's Light Heavyweight belt is on the line as Saulo Cavalari takes on Zack Mwekassa. I can't wait for this, check out the card here!

Don't feel like typing a whole lot on Bellator: Dynamite even though I enjoyed it. Really happy to see Liam McGeary defend his title and stay undefeated. Can't wait for him to take on Phil Davis. Some Bellator and Lion Fight (Muay Thai) on tonight which should be fun.

I've been really enjoying this season of ultimate fighter so far. It's much better then the previous one already. All of the fights to get into the house were fantastic. These guys are all really hungry. And more Connor McGregor just makes it even better.

Agreed. The fights to get in were fun to watch. Ryan Hall's BJJ is awesome and I look forward to seeing how he does after his impressive performance in the first episode. I also liked Chris Gruetzemacher's style in the last episode. The banter between McGregor and Faber is pretty funny too. Looking forward to New Jersey's own Tom Gallicchio on the next episode.

I've been really enjoying this season of ultimate fighter so far. It's much better then the previous one already. All of the fights to get into the house were fantastic. These guys are all really hungry. And more Connor McGregor just makes it even better.

I fell out of the ultimate fighter awhile ago but so far this years show is great! I'll never forget Rampage vs Rashad :) those two always had the gift of trash talking. I wasn't sure I would like this years show since I could never stand Urijah Faber but he has been cracking me up so far with the banter back and forth!

My internet sucks so I'll be watching the main card tomorrow. Some thoughts on the prelims...

-- Yair Rodriguez has some awesome moves and is pretty exciting to watch. Looking forward to seeing more from TUF: Latin America winner.
-- Albert Tumenov is a dangerous man. He made taking out a quality fighter in Alan Jouban look routine.
-- Adriano Martins KO of Islam Makhachev was sick!
-- As I expected, Rose Namajunas made quick work of Angela Hill. Great to see her back in the cage after a long layoff (which wasn't her fault). A lot of exciting fights to be had in the SW division.
-- Really happy to see Sage Northcutt win his UFC debut at age 19. This kid is a star in the making. Always nice to see guys from Legacy get to the UFC and succeed.

Speaking of Legacy, keep an eye out for Ricardo Lucas Ramos. 20 year old Brazilian that is 8-0 with 7 finishes. Looked really good at Legacy 46 on Friday night.

Well....I hate to say it but I think Gus is done, Loss to Jones, Johnson and DC. He just doesn't have the finishing touch and will be extremely tough to mount any comeback to elite status for a title shot in this weight class.

He is not that old so he has plenty of time left. He will get another shot. The guy has the skills. Its not like he got his ass handed to him. The rumble fight came down to one punch, sometimes it happens.

DC was lucky that he fell over after that Knee he went back into the cage and was in a position were Gus couldnt get the mount. If he was in even a slighlty better position gus could have swarmed.

He took Bones all the way as well.

Given the fact that any fight involving AG is a good fight and sells PPV i would say he will easily get more top level fights. Dude is elite.

• 3 weeks later...

He is not that old so he has plenty of time left. He will get another shot. The guy has the skills. Its not like he got his ass handed to him. The rumble fight came down to one punch, sometimes it happens.

DC was lucky that he fell over after that Knee he went back into the cage and was in a position were Gus couldnt get the mount. If he was in even a slighlty better position gus could have swarmed.

He took Bones all the way as well.

Given the fact that any fight involving AG is a good fight and sells PPV i would say he will easily get more top level fights. Dude is elite.

I get that he isn't that old but he has had multiple title shots and considered retiring after getting knocked out. I am a Gus fan bigtime but with the loss to DC (who I cant stand) I'm not sure how long it will be before he gets another shot.

What do you think of that kid Northcutt? I hope they make him fight his way up and not just throw him towards the top...I would like to see him against some wrestlers/graplers.

Edited by Devlin

Haven't had time to post much in this thread lately. Anyone catch UFC Dublin last night? Both the original main event (Duffy vs. Poirier) and co-main (Miocic vs. Rothwell) were cancelled shortly before the event. One of my favorites, Paddy "The Hooligan" Holohan ended up taking on Louis Smolka in the main event. Some nice grappling exchanges and it was Smolka with the RNC in the 2nd round. Darren Till and Nicolas Dalby had a fun welterweight fight that ended in a well-deserved majority draw. Aisling Daly got a win over Ericka Almeida in strawweight action. My boy Cathal Pendred got TKO'd by Tom Breese who is an exciting up and coming fighter from England that trains at Tristar.

Bellator 144 was pretty awesome too. Main event saw Rafael Carvalho pick up his 12th straight win and win the vacant middleweight belt over the previously undefeated Brandon Halsey thanks to a great liver kick. One of my personal favorites, Brennan Ward continued to work his way into the tile picture with a TKO win in the welterweight division. Goiti Yamauchi had a strong showing against Isao Kobayashi and got a RNC in the 3rd round. They continue to slowly build up MVP (Michael Page) who had another convincing TKO win. Hopefully they start to up his competition sooner than later. The prelims had a lot of finishes too.

I get that he isn't that old but he has had multiple title shots and considered retiring after getting knocked out. I am a Gus fan bigtime but with the loss to DC (who I cant stand) I'm not sure how long it will be before he gets another shot.

What do you think of that kid Northcutt? I hope they make him fight his way up and not just throw him towards the top...I would like to see him against some wrestlers/graplers.

I like Gustafsson but fear he's starting to get old in "fight years." He's only 28 and has had 20 professional fights but those 2 battles against Jones and DC have to had a toll on his body. It will be interesting to see what matchups are made at 205 now that Jones is back. DC - Jones will happen eventually. Gustaffson, Johnson, and Bader are all looking for fights too.

I'm really excited about Sage Northcutt. The sky's the limit for this kid as long as he takes everything in stride. Had the pleasure of watching him twice this year for Legacy Fighting Championships thanks to AXStv. Jumped on that bandwagon right away. He's been up in Montreal visiting Tristar. Hopefully he makes the move their full time.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to some fights this weekend. Starting off with Bellator 145 which features a FW title bout between Patricio Freire © and Daniel Straus and a LW title bout between Will Brooks © and Marcin Held. Apparently Brooks and the Freire brothers had a bloody altercation at the hotel on Wednesday...would love to see a champ vs. champ superfight if they retain their belts. The main card of this event kicks off with some HW action, Bobby Lashley vs. James Thompson. Winner could be Kimbo's next opponent. RFA 32 is also on Friday night if you get AXStv.

Looking forward to UFC Fight Night 77 on Saturday. I expect Belfort to beat Henderson though I hope I'm wrong. Excited to see how Cummins does against an opponent as talented as Teixeira. Can't wait to see what type of performance Thomas Almeida puts on and if he can reamin undefeated. A lot of other interesting match ups throughout the card.

In other news, the next UFC event in Newark was just announced. UFC on Fox 18 will be headlined by a LHW bout between Anthony Johnson and Ryan Bader. I know some people find Bader boring but I enjoy his fights. Major title implications on the line in that one. Bader coming in on a 5 fight win streak while Johnson's only loss in his last 11 fights was to DC for the belt. Co-main is expected to be a WW bout between Tarec Saffiedine and Jake Ellenberger. One of my favorite up and coming fighters, Olivier Aubin-Mercier is expected to take on Joaquim Silva in a LW bout. I may make this my first UFC event that I attend.

Anyone catch Bellator 145 last night? Main card kicked off with a solid FW fight between experienced 25 year olds Emmanuel Sanchez and Justin Lawrence with Sanchez taking it by split decision. Looking forward to seeing more from these 2 in the future. In HW action, Bobby Lashley injured James Thompson on a takedown and then TKO'd him on the ground in 54 seconds. Lashley now has a 7 fight win streak. Considering Bellator's HW champ, Vitaly Minakov, is only fighting in Europe right now, I hope they do some sort of interim belt soon. In LW action Michael Chandler TKO'd David Rickels in the 2nd to get himself back in title contention. Will Brooks retained the LW belt despite being hurt by Marcin Held's submission attempts in the 1st round. In FW action, Daniel Straus vs. Patricio Pitbull III was awesome with Straus finally getting the upper hand.

Bellator also announced in that in February they are doing some more freakshow fights. Headliner is Ken Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie and the co-main event is Kimbo Slice vs. some guy named Dada 5000 which is apprently his former buddy and fellow streetfighter. Love it.

Also King Mo will represent Bellator at one of the Rizin events in December. He'll fight in a LHW grand prix. They also announced Gabi Garcia's oppnent, some massive wrestler named Lei'D Tapa.

Very excited for UFC 193 tonight. The fights I'm looking forward to...

Fightpass Prelims
FW  Ben Nguyen vs. Ryan Benoit - Nguyen is a pretty cool dude and interacts with fans on r/mma. Benoit is coming off a big win over Sergio Pettis.

WW Richard Walsh vs. Steve Kennedy and MW Dan Kelly vs. Steve Montgomery - Walsh, Kelly, and Montgomery are all TUF alums that I've become a fan of.

FS1 Prelims
LHW Anthony Perosh vs. Gian Villante - Villante is a NY guy that trains with Chris Weidman. 2 of his last 3 fights have been FOTN's.

WW Kyle Noke vs. Peter Sobotta and LW Jake Matthews vs. Akbarh Arreola - Noke coached Matthews, who is one of the big up and coming prospects, on TUF. Really looking forward to these two fights.

PPV
Love this main card. Struve vs. Rosholt and Hunt vs. Bigfoot in HW contests. Human highleet reel Uriah Hall vs. Robert Whittaker in a MW fight. I'm expecting another dominant performance by Joanna Champion against Valerie Letourneau. I think Rousey defeats Holm easily and I still wish they didn't rush Holm into this fight. I will be cheering for an upset though just because of the craziness that would ensue. The weigh ins got heated yesterday with Rousey starting sh!t with Holm and acting like it was Holm that touched her first.

Sidenote: Rumors that the UFC may be adding Women's Flyweight soon. Would make sense in a way since a lot of fighters are too small for Bantamweight and too big for Strawweight. I do worry that it would deplete an already barren WBW division though.