MMA and Combat Sports Thread

thefiestygoat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy sh!t, Holly Holm just put on a great kick boxing performance to win the title by KO!!!!!! Insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was such an upset. Holms previous 2 ufc fights when to decisions and she didn't look that great in either of them.

Rousey fought this one stupid and should have taken it to the ground to start the second round.

How Rousey reacts to this loss will be extremely interesting.

That was such an upset. Holms previous 2 ufc fights when to decisions and she didn't look that great in either of them.

Rousey fought this one stupid and should have taken it to the ground to start the second round.

How Rousey reacts to this loss will be extremely interesting.

It was crazy. I didn't doubt that Rousey could struggle mightily against an accomplished striker like Holm. What gave me doubts about Holm was how underwhelming her previous UFC fights were. I really didn't think she was ready, but I am glad I was wrong. Rousey seemed to have no response with the way Holm was connecting cleanly and pivoting away right after. I really think she was trying to get to the ground but Holm just did a great job at keeping distance and moving away.

I hope Rousey takes some time off. Between fighting, movies, sponsorship duties, etc. she's been on an intense ride. I think her blow up at the weigh-ins was a result of all that pressure. Plus there's all the drama in her personal life right now and everything going on with her coach Edmond and his problems. She's really carried him and I think she would be wise to move to an elite MMA camp with proper coaches.

I know people want an immediate rematch which would likely be UFC 200 in July. I hope that doesn't happen for a few reasons. 1. I want Rousey to take time off to re-energize, re-focus, and get proper striking training. 2. I don't want Holm to have to sit out that long. This could be a good time for the UFC to do right by Tate after the bullsh!t they pulled and give her a title shot.

Tons of fights on this weekend. Tonight, Bellator 146: Kato vs. Manhoef. Manhoef's fights always seem to end in a knockout for him or his opponent nowadays. Kato is 5-1 and every one of his fights has been a knockout. Also, WSOF 25 which is feauturing an 8-Man One-Night LW Tournament to crown the next challenger for Justin Gaethje. Also, some Muay Thai with Lion Fight 26 on AXStv.

Tomorrow has UFC Fight Night 78 Magny vs. Gastelum. This will be Magny's 10th fight since the beginning of 2014. Also a huge boxing PPV with Canelo vs. Cotto.

Looks like Cathal Pendred decided to retire...he tweeted that out

Sent from my TAB2 using TapaTalk

Not going to lie, I was a bit sad when I saw the headline on MMAFighting. Good for him to go out on his own terms. A 17-4-1 record (4-2 UFC) and he won the WW title for Cage Warriors which is one of Europe's big promotions. That's pretty impressive. He's still 28 and has a degree in Analytical Science and by all accounts seems like a bright, good guy. Best of luck to him in the future, I'm sure he'll do well in whatever he pursues.

Not going to lie, I was a bit sad when I saw the headline on MMAFighting. Good for him to go out on his own terms. A 17-4-1 record (4-2 UFC) and he won the WW title for Cage Warriors which is one of Europe's big promotions. That's pretty impressive. He's still 28 and has a degree in Analytical Science and by all accounts seems like a bright, good guy. Best of luck to him in the future, I'm sure he'll do well in whatever he pursues.

Same here...I really wanted to see more of him in the UFC and see if he could progress with a solid mix of styles...oh well. He seems like a well rounded person who is level headed. I bet he also succeeds outside of the fight game.

Edited by Devlin

• 2 weeks later...

Big weekend for the UFC. Action kicks off Thursday with a Fightpass event, UFC Fight Night: Namajunas vs. VanZant. Was originally supposed to be headlined by Calderwood vs. VanZant but JoJo was injured. A lot of my favorite up and coming fighters and/or TUF alums are on this.

Main Card
Women's Strawweight Rose Namajunas vs. Paige VanZant                 
Lightweight Jim Miller vs. Michael Chiesa                 
Lightweight Sage Northcutt vs. Cody Pfister                 
Middleweight Elias Theodorou vs. Thiago Santos

-- Huge fight in the SW division. I'm pulling for Thug Rose. Sage Northcutt's who star is shining brightly has his 2nd UFC fight. One of my favorites, Elias Theodorou looks to go 12-0 and 4-0 in the UFC.

Prelims
Welterweight Tim Means vs. John Howard                 
Welterweight Omari Akhmedov vs. Sérgio Moraes                 
Middleweight Antônio Carlos Júnior vs. Kevin Casey                 
Bantamweight Aljamain Sterling vs. Johnny Eduardo                 
Welterweight Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Andreas Ståhl                 
Welterweight Danny Roberts vs. Nathan Coy                 
Featherweight Zubaira Tukhugov vs. Phillipe Nover                 
Women's Strawweight Kailin Curran vs. Emily Kagan

-- Aljamain Sterling has an interesting style and will look to go 12-0 and 4-0 in the UFC. Nathan Coy is a longtime veteran and another guy from TUF. Just a guy that I had a lot of respect for watching him on the show. Thrilled to see him get his first UFC fight at age 37. He actually replaced his injured teammate Michael Graves on this card. Kailin Curran has dropped 2 straight, one to VanZant and the other to Alex Chambers (Curran had been dominating that fight for the first 2 rounds). I really think she could go on a run in the division. Maybe this is the start of that run.

Great fights coming up! I'm looking forward to Rose and that spark plug VanZant... I would like to see Rose get the win. I watched Northcutt a few times and there was one fight where he front kicks a guy so hard he lifted him off the canvas! I must of replayed it like 10 times. He looked kinda "raw" in his first UFC fight even though he KO...some wild punches but very strong.

Can't wait!

• 2 months later...

Awesome night! Really enjoyed both the co-main and main events. Despite being a Holly Holm fan, I'm really happy for Miesha Tate. She's really earned this honor and it would've been tough to see her lose a decision considering how close she came to finishing in round 2. I had Holm up 38-37 going to the final round (as did the judges). Really respect the way Tate just "went for it" and was relentless. It will be interesting to see what matchups are made in that division now. Will Rousey return to take on Tate? Who does Holm fight next? What about Nunes? Also, I think Zingano is close to returning. Should be some good fights coming our way in the future.

I'm a big McGregor fan but I also like the Diaz brothers so I'm cool with the main event result. A Diaz fight is always entertaining and I also look forward to seeing McGregor grow from this. I do have to respect him for jumping up in weight but I hope he stays at lightweight and featherweight in the future. I wonder where he goes from here? Dos Anjos? Edgar (my preference)? Aldo 2?

I thought Holms showed exactly what I thought of her before the rousey fight, that she just is simply not that good. 

I can't stand the Diaz brothers, absolute trash at its worse to me. Connor had him on the ropes and then got sloppy and paid for it. 

Tate vs rousey 3 will be interesting especially cause rousey is going to have a lot to prove.