Derlique

2015 NHL Off-season Thread

If the owners try going the NGC route, we'll be losing another entire season. The players will die on that hill. We're talking about Donald Fehr here.

I agree. No way in hell the players agree to that without a massive fight. We would could easily lose an entire season over it.

Edited by Satans Hockey

If there is a lockout coming, I don't think you'll lose much if any of the season. The last lockout went beyond just coming up with a number for revenue splits. Contract length and cap recapture were apparently more contentious issues last time around than the revenue split. Those issues are basically taken care of.

I haven't thought about it and I don't want to think about potential battlegrounds, but a lot of people were saying "well we'll lose a month max" last time around.

I haven't thought about it and I don't want to think about potential battlegrounds, but a lot of people were saying "well we'll lose a month max" last time around.

Information I had from a certain someone that knows a certain member of the NHLPA was that the players were told back in June of 2012 was to expect to miss at least a month of the season.

It's still a ways away, but I think it's ultimately a fight over a few numbers. I think fundamentally everything else is pretty much in place. Although maybe the players will want to add relocation and expansion fees to hockey revenue if the cap doesn't get to $85 million by the time the CBA is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last lockout - the biggest thing the players wanted to get rid of was escrow. That is by far the thing they hate the most.

Tarasenko 8 years $60 mil with the Blues. Done.

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford:

BREAKING: Tarasenko agrees to eight-year, $60 million contract with #stlblues. The AAV is $7.5 million.

Edited by MadDog2020

We'll lose roughly half the season again.  The owners have every reason to lock out the players that long again to gain concessions.  The fans come back almost immediately anyway and the owners get the playoff revenue they covet.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Tarasenko 8 years $60 mil with the Blues. Done.

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford:

BREAKING: Tarasenko agrees to eight-year, $60 million contract with #stlblues. The AAV is $7.5 million.

Well then...

Obviously we never stood a chance, nor would we offer that kinda deal, nor would the Blues let him get away, but damn

We'll lose roughly half the season again.  The owners have every reason to lock out the players that long again to gain concessions.  The fans come back almost immediately anyway and they get the playoff revenue they covet.

I hate the truth to this post...

We'll lose roughly half the season again. The owners have every reason to lock out the players that long again to gain concessions. The fans come back almost immediately anyway and the owners get the playoff revenue they covet.

It's a total joke, but it's mostly our own faults. We always come running back like the sheep we are, and both sides know it. There will undoubtedly be the same lame-ass mudslinging from players towards owners on social media, players tweeting stupid sh!t that shows how far outside of reality they actually reside... And the same arguments among the fans about whatever dumbass issues the two sides are arguing over, along with the faction of fans that claims they'll 'never go to or watch another game again' (even though they're full of sh!t and they know it, along with everyone else). I mean, I'm counting the years down man. Can't fvcking wait. Edited by MadDog2020

7.5m over 8 doesn't seem outrageous for a young star like that.

It's an absolutely fantastic fvcking contract for STL

We'll lose roughly half the season again. The owners have every reason to lock out the players that long again to gain concessions. The fans come back almost immediately anyway and the owners get the playoff revenue they covet.

I try to spin it into a positive. I save a ton of money missing preseason games and half the regular season plus gas and tolls for that entire time.

That's as close to a no-brainer as they come, actually. 

I try to spin it into a positive. I save a ton of money missing preseason games and half the regular season plus gas and tolls for that entire time.

Honestly the lockout trend in the NBA and NHL is as big an indictment you can find that both sport's seasons are too long.  NBA especially but the NHL season should be 70 games, probably.

Honestly the lockout trend in the NBA and NHL is as big an indictment you can find that both sport's seasons are too long.  NBA especially but the NHL season should be 70 games, probably.

I completely agree.  It only hurts the owners to shorten the season.  No other hockey league in the world plays that many games and even if the NHL played 75 like the AHL, no one will be able to really notice the difference, unless you're an owner trying to squeeze more from ticket sales.

Yup, agree 100%. 70 games, 3 points for wins, 1 point for SO loss.

Edited by DJ Eco

if im Shero i'd be trying to made a Gelinas / Sven Andrighetto trade with MTL. 

https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/619672493532381184

Dallas traded for Patrick Sharp and Steven Johns from Hawksin exchange for Ryan Garbutt and Trevor Daley

Hmm.  Not sure how I feel about that,  Trevor Daley is a big pick-up for Chicago and keeping their defense Stanley Cup caliber; losing Oduya, but gaining Daley is big.  Chicago getting cap space and simply breaking even here.  This isn't a "move-forward" move.

Edited by RizzMB30

Sharp is on the decline himself. He's not a bad player by any stretch but he is no longer "Patrick sharp"

Sharp is on the decline himself. He's not a bad player by any stretch but he is no longer "Patrick sharp"

He also carries a $5.9 million cap hit.

Not sure where to post this, but I just read this really exciting piece on Merril.  If you had any doubts about Merril's play this past season, this article points out how much of an essential role that Merril and possibly Severson will play in this next season if we want to be competitive.  Merril is a great passer, drives the play, and does a good job of taking care of the puck.  

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2015/7/6/8858899/passing-wowys-nj-devils-defense-pairings

Edited by RizzMB30

Not sure where to post this, but I just read this really exciting piece on Merril. If I had any doubts about Merril's play this past season, this article points out how much of an essential role that Merril and possibly Severson will play in this next season if we want to be competitive. Merril is a great passer, drives the play, and does a good job of taking care of the puck.

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2015/7/6/8858899/passing-wowys-nj-devils-defense-pairings

You had doubts after watching him play, but you changed your mind based on an article?

For me, he has to prove himself and this is the year for him to step up and do that.

An interesting tidbit on NHL Radio from Matt Barnaby I think that hasn't been picked up at all, that Boston was shopping Rask, and had a deal in principle in place for a good young forward that had injury issues and hadn't quite put it together yet, but that Boston nixed it after the overwhelming negative reaction to the Lucic and Hamilton trades and the players that Boston picked. My guess is that the player involved was either RNH or Hall, or possibly Coutre or Hertl.

It's interesting also in that it would probably be a decent proxy for what Schneider would bring back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk