Devils sign Vojtech Mozik

JakeDev

Saw this on News 12 NJ earlier today and wanted to read up on it further thought there would be a thread on this already but 

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=770958&navid=DL|NJD|home

Newark, NJ – The New Jersey Devils today signed free agent defenseman Vojtech Mozik to an entry-level contract. The announcement was made by Devils’ General Manager Ray Shero.

Mozik, 22, spent the previous three seasons with Plzen (Czech Republic) and was a member of its 2012-13 league championship squad. Last season, he led all defensemen in the Czech Extraliga with a career-high ten goals. Mozik also established career highs with 19 assists, 29 points and 94 penalty minutes in 2014-15. 

The 6-2, 195-lb. blueliner has career totals of 20g-29a-49pts and 186 PIM in 157 Extraliga games with Plzen and Mlada Boleslav.

Born December 26, 1992 in Praha, Czech Republic, Mozik recorded 1g-2a-3pts and eight PIM in six games while representing his country at the 2012 World Junior Championships in Calgary and Edmonton, Alberta.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=99009

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE          GP  G   A TP PIM +/-  EASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A TP PIM +/-  

2014-15 stats_arrow.gif HC Plzen stats_arrow.gif Czech 51 10 19 29 94 2

vYnvF.png

Yes! Yes... I feel it, the Cup... fills me. Yes, I feel the Cup within me! I am... I am a part of the cosmos! Its energy flows... flows through me. Of what consequence are you now?     THE CUP WILL BE MINE!

or not.

It's an interesting signing for NJ because they already have Hraberenka and Scarlett in the minors as RH PP guys.  So either they're just gonna roll with 3 guys like that, or one of these guys is going to be on the NHL team next year.  I understand it from the Devils' perspective - hey, who doesn't want more players - but I don't really get it from Vojtech's perspective.  It's not that the Devils don't have open spots on their blueline, but that the Devils mostly have guys of a similar ilk to him in front of him (and behind him).

Must indicate Shero's cooking a trade up imo, because we have such a stupid amount of potentially-ready NHL defensemen at this point that adding another one doesn't seem to make sense.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Must indicate Shero's cooking a trade up imo, because we have such a stupid amount of potentially-ready NHL defenseman at this point that adding another one doesn't seem to make sense.

Agreed.

Shero loves to stockpile what he sees as assets. I think right now he is going overboard on mobile offensive D men.