2015 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

Time for a new thread for a new season. To start it off, it appears the throwback 1966 jerseys that will be worn later this year have been leaked: 7d1879d7317992ba709ddf7d167f3519.jpgc864979af87d69e09cd5286fe88129ff.jpg

I like them. The only nitpick I have is the TV numbers should be on the sleeves and not the shoulders. I will be purchasing one nonetheless. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Here's hoping for a great 2015 and a return to the playoffs!

Edited by MadDog2020

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Love the new throwbacks. Most likely end up getting a wake. Gonna try and make it to the throwback Monday night Giants game. I will def be at the Metlife takeover, and the Eagles game ( wife is a die hard eagles fan)

Lot of optimism right now as camps start to open league-wide.  I'm hopeful that Miami takes a big step forward this year and challenges the elite teams in the league.

Evan Mathis, to my knowledge, is still a free agent, hopefully we can nail down a deal with him and then push Dallas Thomas to the bench.  

Miami's also rumored to be interested in Ace Sanders as a kick returner, though I'm not as thrilled about that prospect as he was a washout in Jacksonville. 

Sitll, Football is almost here!

Also happy to say I will be making my first trip to Miami in 4 years for a Fins game this year. Going to the home opener against Buffalo in the newly renovated Joe Robbie. Can't wait!

Not sure if you're familiar with this, but this is a multi-year reno (3 phases).  Orange seats were swapped out for aqua/teal, the upper corners were removed (actually decreasing capacity), and some new fancy seating closer to the field is being installed for this season.  Next offseason is the biggie...new screens in the corners (the seats were removed to make room for them), the canopies, and a lot of other goodies.  The next season is improved parking and entrance infrastructure.  So though this year will probably mean a compromised in-game experience, place should be state-of-the-art for 2016.

Quick renderings (top video is pretty sweet):

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/02/24/video-animated-tour-of-2015-2016-sun-life-stadium/

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not sure if you're familiar with this, but this is a multi-year reno (3 phases). Orange seats were swapped out for aqua/teal, the upper corners were removed (actually decreasing capacity), and some new fancy seating closer to the field is being installed for this season. Next offseason is the biggie...new screens in the corners (the seats were removed to make room for them), the canopies, and a lot of other goodies. The next season is improved parking and entrance infrastructure. So though this year will probably mean a compromised in-game experience, place should be state-of-the-art for 2016.

Quick renderings (top video is pretty sweet):

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/02/24/video-animated-tour-of-2015-2016-sun-life-stadium/

Oh yeah I've been on top of it from the beginning CR. It already looks like kind of a new stadium. It'll look better once the corners they removed are filled in with the new scoreboards next year. Here is a picture from this morning- grass is going in: 21854a313546efcb76e6baea4085b9ae.jpg Edited by MadDog2020

Guess I'm so used to this particular season supposedly being the one where the Dolphins take a big step forward that I'm numb to it at this point.  The holes on the O-line really freak me out.  Don't know if Albert will return to form, and unless your QB is Peyton Manning, it's hard to believe that a playoff team has someone like Dallas Thomas on the practice squad, much less as someone that could very well be an opening day starter. 

I'll take something of a contrarian view and say that arguably the biggest key to the Dolphins' success will be the effectiveness of Jordan Cameron.  The guy was a beast when he was healthy and catching passes from Brandon Weedon, a QB that is the epitome of mediocrity.  In the preseason two years ago, Tannehill seemed to have a lot of chemistry with Dustin Keller until Keller's injury, and never really had a legitimate big target TE before or since then.  I'm  not saying that Cameron will turn into Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham all of the sudden, but if he has numbers that reflect a legitimate fantasy league football starter, it should reflect a better offense overall. 

I'll also note that this is an important year for Bill Lazor.  My friend that does play-by-play for CBS tells me that it's pretty obvious that he wants a head coaching gig sooner rather than later, and that he's fairly aggressive when it comes to getting as much in-game exposure as possible.  (Relatedly, my friend says the Dolphins, as an organization, are very good with giving the television crews access to the team).  If the Dolphins have that high-flying offense that fans are hoping for, Lazor should be on the short list for a head coaching job as soon as next season.  If not, I could see him never even landing an interview. 

Re the new stadium.  It's funny that you get a certain detachment from those things when you root for an out-of-market team.  I'm glad though that it was apparently designed so the Dolphins don't lose the homefield heat advantage for the early part of the season. 

Other odds and ends:  I'm on the fence about going to the Metlife takeover this year.  I don't want to sound like a fair weather fan, but football is easily the least enjoyable sport to watch in person when your team loses, and I think the Jets should be much improved this year.  

After some initial optimism, I have this uneasy vibe about Devante Parker.  The foot injury is kind of scary, and he doesn't seem to be the game breaking receiver that Dez Bryant or Bekham is.  

Suh better have an MVP-like season.  The defense will not be much better than it was last year if the guy is even well-above average for his position. 

Edited by Daniel

Guess I'm so used to this particular season supposedly being the one where the Dolphins take a big step forward that I'm numb to it at this point. The holes on the O-line really freak me out. Don't know if Albert will return to form, and unless your QB is Peyton Manning, it's hard to believe that a playoff team has someone like Dallas Thomas on the practice squad, much less as someone that could very well be an opening day starter.

I'll take something of a contrarian view and say that arguably the biggest key to the Dolphins' success will be the effectiveness of Jordan Cameron. The guy was a beast when he was healthy and catching passes from Brandon Weedon, a QB that is the epitome of mediocrity. In the preseason two years ago, Tannehill seemed to have a lot of chemistry with Dustin Keller until Keller's injury, and never really had a legitimate big target TE before or since then. I'm not saying that Cameron will turn into Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham all of the sudden, but if he has numbers that reflect a legitimate fantasy league football starter, it should reflect a better offense overall.

I'll also note that this is an important year for Bill Lazor. My friend that does play-by-play for CBS tells me that it's pretty obvious that he wants a head coaching gig sooner rather than later, and that he's fairly aggressive when it comes to getting as much in-game exposure as possible. (Relatedly, my friend says the Dolphins, as an organization, are very good with giving the television crews access to the team). If the Dolphins have that high-flying offense that fans are hoping for, Lazor should be on the short list for a head coaching job as soon as next season. If not, I could see him never even landing an interview.

Re the new stadium. It's funny that you get a certain detachment from those things when you root for an out-of-market team. I'm glad though that it was apparently designed so the Dolphins don't lose the homefield heat advantage for the early part of the season.

Other odds and ends: I'm on the fence about going to the Metlife takeover this year. I don't want to sound like a fair weather fan, but football is easily the least enjoyable sport to watch in person when your team loses, and I think the Jets should be much improved this year.

After some initial optimism, I have this uneasy vibe about Devante Parker. The foot injury is kind of scary, and he doesn't seem to be the game breaking receiver that Dez Bryant or Bekham is.

Suh better have an MVP-like season. The defense will not be much better than it was last year if the guy is even well-above average for his position.

We need- NEED- to sign Evan Mathis. This is non-negotiable. Dallas Thomas cannot be a starter under any circumstances. Mathis and Billy Turner wouldn't be too bad at guard. The key is really the o-line IMO. If it doesn't give Tannehill the time he needs, he won't be able to take the step forward we need him to take because he'll be busy re-learning how to tie his shoes. If Tannehill doesn't take that step forward because of an injury or any other reason, we are burnt toast. It all came comes down to the QB.

Wow...grass makes all the difference.  Place was looking a little scary without it.  It's the corners that really make it look like a work-in-progress.

Much-needed renovation for sure...after having been there last year, it was really looking and feeling long in the tooth.  Nice to see them be able to save a lot of it and give it a fresh and up-to-date appearance. 

Wow...grass makes all the difference. Place was looking a little scary without it. It's the corners that really make it look like a work-in-progress.

Much-needed renovation for sure...after having been there last year, it was really looking and feeling long in the tooth. Nice to see them be able to save a lot of it and give it a fresh and up-to-date appearance.

Yeah it looks pretty good. Looking forward to checking it out in September. With the reduced capacity to 65,000 and moving the seats closer to the field, hopefully that will add to the noise factor and cut down on the number of opposing fans in the building, (should the Dolphins continue to play in a fashion that encourages a lot of opposing fans to show up). Edited by MadDog2020

I think he's waiting for camps to open to see if anyone gets hurt that may be able to drive up his price.

Pretty sure this is it.  He turned down 5 Million/year from the Eagles, rumored to be looking for 7 million a year for at least 2-3 years.

I posted on this before, but I think the best compromise is below:

gallery_897_188_1513.png

If that's not good enough, I'd go as far as to raise the guarantee in year 3 another Million.  That's 4/~22/~12 guaranteed.  It's short of the 2/14 he's looking for, but Miami would much prefer to pay him closer to what the Eagles were paying him, so the middle ground may be where they end up meeting...and it virtually guarantees Mathis will be on the team for 2-3 years, which is about what he'd be looking for.  Something in that neighborhood should get it done...maybe move some money from year 4 to year 3 if the year 3 raise isn't what it should be.

Other than this, a 1/7 could work well for both parties, too.

Are those railed walkways in the corners (where they took out the seating)?  Just like that, the place is looking very clean and doesn't have that "Please excuse our appearance" look.  All in all it looks good for a work-in-progress.  Wish I could find current exterior photos.

And any photos of the orange seats almost seem blinding now.  The new seats just feel so much more "right".

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The Dolphins throwbacks should be their permanent uniforms, and their current uni's (which are not bad) should be alternates.

I would like to see the Jets in their late 70's/80's uni's vs Miami in their throwbacks. That was always a nice uniform matchup and those games were out of control wild west football

The Dolphins throwbacks should be their permanent uniforms, and their current uni's (which are not bad) should be alternates.

I would like to see the Jets in their late 70's/80's uni's vs Miami in their throwbacks. That was always a nice uniform matchup and those games were out of control wild west football

No argument here. The throwbacks look outstanding. And it would be cool to see a Fins-Jets game where both teams wore the 80's throwbacks. That would be a cool return to a piece of my childhood seeing both teams don the 80's duds lol.

Place looks good. Much different feel.

I feel like every Dolphin uni in recent years never quite felt right. The throwbacks do.

Tannehill and the first team offense were very sharp- 14 play, 85 yard drive capped with a Tannehill TD pass to Landry. Interior o-line did a good job. First team defense looked great as well- Suh is just a beast. All in all, encouraging night.

Edited by MadDog2020

Apparently the Phins have La'ell Collins ranked as the number 1 rookie in preseason play. I'm not going to go nuts that the Phins didn't use a sixth round pick on him, even though his agent admits that the threat of not signing if drafted after the third round was a bluff. As they say, if it was so obvious that Tom Brady was going to be a star, the Patriots would have drafted him in the first round.

Still, if the o-line weakness is what really holds the Dolphins back, not drafting him, or losing out on him in free agency will sting a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Extremely pissed that Evan Mathis is now a Bronco.  Especially in light of the fact that Billy Turner has looked WORSE than Dallas Thomas all preseason.  EDIT: Further, he took an incentive-laden contract that tops out at 4 million.  Hell, had I been Tannenbaum I'd have given him the 4 million at the door, considering guard play is one of Miami's three biggest weaknesses right now (somewhere between CB2 play and linebacking play).

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!