2015 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

Ian Wharton ‏@NFLFilmStudy:

Every exec and agent I’ve talked to expects Joe Philbin to be fired today. One source: this is opportunity to show everyone is on same page

Please let this guy be right...

I guess you sometimes don't have a choice, but I'd really hate to see anyone in the organization be named the interim.  If that's unavoidable, since it also appears that Coyle is going to get the axe also, promote someone internally to HC and bring in Schwartz to be the DC.  That way you don't have to slow things up to satisfy the Rooney rule. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you sometimes don't have a choice, but I'd really hate to see anyone in the organization be named the interim. If that's unavoidable, since it also appears that Coyle is going to get the axe also, promote someone internally to HC and bring in Schwartz to be the DC. That way you don't have to slow things up to satisfy the Rooney rule.

I wouldn't mind maybe seeing Dan Campbell, the TE coach, get a shot. He is without a doubt the best position coach on the staff... Plus, it's not like he would be much worse than Philbin. It's virtually impossible to do much worse at this point, outside of bringing in Rich Kotite. Edited by MadDog2020

The last person you want to hear from is a Jets fan, let me put aside my fanhood for a second.

The Dolphins do not need a full on rebuild they have the talent to be a playoff team right now...but when it comes to the head coach you must go get Bill Cowher in the offseason. He says he doesn't want to coach anymore? Tough, throw more money at him. Throw ridiculous money at him. Make him refuse to say no. He is really the discipline that the franchise needs. He's what Suh needs. He is accountability and instant credibility.

Another idea. Perhaps try to get Parcells involved one more time. Kick Tannenbaum out the door and give Parcells his job. He's 74 but still fiery and sharp as a tack and will find the right people and put them in the right places in the organization. Look how quick the turnaround was from 07 to 08.

Edited by '7'

The last person you want to hear from is a Jets fan, let me put aside my fanhood for a second.

The Dolphins do not need a full on rebuild they have the talent to be a playoff team right now...but when it comes to the head coach you must go get Bill Cowher in the offseason. He says he doesn't want to coach anymore? Tough, throw more money at him. Throw ridiculous money at him. Make him refuse to say no. He is really the discipline that the franchise needs. He's what Suh needs. He is accountability and instant credibility.

If Ross wanted to go the route of throwing a ton of money at someone who said they don't want to coach anymore, I would prefer that he give it a shot with Gruden first.  Ironically, it has a lot to do with the fact that, at least from what he says on TV, that he's a huge believer in Tannehill and he's something of a QB guru.  (Yes, I know, Gruden does have that Jaworski kind of thing where every QB he reviews could be the next Tom Brady). 

Whether we like it or not, Tannehill is the guy for the next couple of years, and there doesn't appear to be an Andrew Luck type QB available in the draft any time soon.  Might as well bring in someone where we know for sure what we have. 

Another idea. Perhaps try to get Parcells involved one more time. Kick Tannenbaum out the door and give Parcells his job. He's 74 but still fiery and sharp as a tack and will find the right people and put them in the right places in the organization. Look how quick the turnaround was from 07 to 08.

Meh, we've gone the merc road before with Saban... No thanks. I want someone who WANTS to be the coach of the Miami Dolphins. Not someone who needed to have a Brinks truck backed up on his front lawn. And as far as Parcells- lmfao. Again, no thanks. Edited by MadDog2020

And BOOM goes the dynamite: Omar Kelly

3m3 minutes ago

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly

The Sun-Sentinel can confirm Joe Philbin has been fired and Dan Campbell is the interim coach of the #Dolphins

Get Coyle out too!!!!

Too little, too late unfortunately. 

Too little, too late unfortunately. 

Better late than until after the season.

I give them credit...it takes some balls to get rid of a coaching staff this early in the season in the NFL.   

And Tannehill is a complete douche by the way:

During Saturday's walk-through practice in London the Miami Dolphins defense took offense to derogatory comments quarterback Ryan Tannehill made to the scout team defenders and eventually stopped practicing during the dry run for Sunday's game.

Multiple sources say Ryan Tannehill had committed a couple turnovers early in Saturday's walk-through and was bothered by scout team defenders intercepting his passes.

During an exchange with linebacker Chris McCain, who picked off a poorly thrown pass from Tannehill, the team's starting quarterback told the defenders "enjoy your practice squad paychecks," a source said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-quarterback-ryan-tannehill-had-feud-with-dolphins-defense-20151005-story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by Daniel

I used to think you were too hard on Tannehill...but that really makes him look bad. 

shame on u tanehill. those practice squaders have more heart than half your team.

I've read a little more, and I can kind of understand why he got pissed off, or perhaps can infer it, that those walkthroughs are supposed to be at half speed, and that it might not have been Tannehill taking out his own frustrations on someone else.

It's the whole "I make more money than you" which is a real classless thing to say. Dan Marino was a notorious prick to his wide receivers, but I can't imagine him ever saying something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The last person you want to hear from is a Jets fan, let me put aside my fanhood for a second. The Dolphins do not need a full on rebuild they have the talent to be a playoff team right now.

I thought this aswell.. but I simply don't know anymore. On paper they have all the tools to be 4-0 at this point. Perhaps this latest shakeup with JP being shown the door will do the trick.. but, you are 100% right about Tannenbaum. Mike T is a cancer, and Dolphin fans are slowly finding that out. The Suh signing had his fingerprints all over it, and it's slowly showing to be the worst signing this franchise has made in recent memory.

I am a VERY big Tannehill supporter. However.. if this is true, he should be made an example of by upper management. A player (who's perceived as a leader on this team) that openly disrespects teammate(s) HOWEVER high-or-low on the totem pole, should be publically reprimanded by the front office imo.

..as I said, I like Tanny.. ALOT. But assuming this story is true (and right now it's just conjecture) that's about as conceited and self-satisfying as it gets.

Edited by Beezer34

I really don't know what this new coach brings to the table other than being a rah rah kind of guy. He obviously wants to dump Coyle, but I kind of understand that it's really hard to change everything in the middle of the season.

Whatever the case, I think the Dolphins actually turning things around in any significant way will tell you not so much about the new coach, but that Philbin was a really, really bad head coach even if his record the last two years screams out more mediocrity rather than Kotite/Handley level incompetence.

And Coyle's out.  Special teams coach promoted to defensive coordinator.

I suppose this is enough to keep me interested in the next couple of games.  Doesn't seem like there's anything special about the revamped coaching staff, except that the players like them.  So perhaps we'll get a good idea if Coyle and Philbin were really, really terrible coaches or if the whole thing needs to be dismantled. 

And Coyle's out. Special teams coach promoted to defensive coordinator.

I suppose this is enough to keep me interested in the next couple of games. Doesn't seem like there's anything special about the revamped coaching staff, except that the players like them. So perhaps we'll get a good idea if Coyle and Philbin were really, really terrible coaches or if the whole thing needs to be dismantled.

It was actually the DB's coach, Lou Anarumo, who is replacing Coyle. This is also long overdue. Coyle's scheme is garbage and the players couldn't stand him (at least with Philbin the players liked him as a person, even if they didn't respect him as a coach. Coyle they flat out hated). I like Campbell's demeanor, I like his attitude... I like that he's stressing winning one-on-one matchups and ramping up the intensity in practice. Will it work with regards to getting these players to start performing on Sundays? Who knows. I hope so. If it doesn't, well hey- you move on and clean house. But Campbell has respect around the league (Sean Payton endorsed Campbell the other day, for example) and the players say they love him and would run through a wall for him. I'm not expecting anything big like the playoffs or anything, but I do expect this team to play with more intensity, be way more physical, and be tough to play against. I want the opponent to walk away knowing they just had a tough game, regardless of what the scoreboard says at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a DIFFERENT TEAM today. Unreal. I'm just gonna enjoy this. Hell of an effort!

I mean, I guess what I can take away from it is that with not awful coaching, we might be a decent team. Although the Titans are pretty terrible, there's a decent shot a being .500 after next game.

I mean, I guess what I can take away from it is that with not awful coaching, we might be a decent team. Although the Titans are pretty terrible, there's a decent shot a being .500 after next game.

Yeah I think we all knew this team had way more talent than the level they played at through the first 4 games. Campbell had them angry, aggressive, playing with purpose, playing as a TEAM. It was great to see. It shows the players are buying in to what Campbell is selling them, and a win like yesterday's further reinforces the message and philosophy that Campbell is preaching works. They need to come out and beat down the lousy-ass Texans next week, get back to .500, and then we could be cooking with some gas. The true test will be how they show for that Patriot game on a short week. I don't expect to go in there and beat them (especially with what amounts to only a couple of game prep days), but I wanna see the same compete level and the same type of intensity we saw yesterday. Ya gotta start somewhere, and yesterday was an excellent start.

MD2020, I think that Pats-Phins game will be affected by what happens in the Pats-Jets game prior.  Pats don't let down often, but if they come off a tough win against the Jets, I can see them possibly being a little gassed against the Dolphins.  Helps the Pats that the game is home. 

If the Dolphins get past their upcoming three-game road "trip" (after the Texans) in decent shape, they have a shot to go on a run...they get five of their last seven games at home