Your Thoughts About: #15 Tuomo Ruutu

Derlique

Wasn't happy with the trade that brought him in. Thought he was way too expensive for what he brings. Interestingly enough, DeBoer and Hydra preferred Zubrus over him so he didnt get as much ice time as he maybe should've. He's basically the 'meh' we've grown accustomed to these last few years

Wasn't happy with the trade that brought him in. Thought he was way too expensive for what he brings. Interestingly enough, DeBoer and Hydra preferred Zubrus over him so he didnt get as much ice time as he maybe should've. He's basically the 'meh' we've grown accustomed to these last few years

wow i think you have hit this one straight on the head. Cant say it much better, this guy is like the blah devils hockey which has come to be here. Hopefully he can be of some type of use to us this season..but youre right we should have never aquired him to begin with.

I actually like Ruutu. I mean, like most I don't think we should've ever traded for him, but he's been better than I expected. Don't understand how he was below Zubs on the depth chart considering he was doing more with less time. I'd love to see him out there not being dragged down by Gionta this year, but I'm sure I won't get my wish.

Well said, I'm largely indifferent

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

At this point he's probably too old to do anything well.  I'm not sure he's any more than a 4th liner at this point.  I'm hoping very much that Boucher can show he's better this year.

His hockey-reference page is on ruututu01.html at hockey-reference which is delightful.

Never got a fair shake.  Would love to see Ruutu used in some different roles and to see what he could bring across different spots in the top 9.  He scored 57 points 5 years ago playing a top role in Carolina, and I believe played center as well as the wings.  Granted, he was 27 then and is now 32 or so, and I don't expect that to ever happen again.  But I could easily see Ruutu being a great utility player for NJ who could be used in various situations.  He's definitely more skilled than your typical grinders, and I think a spot on line #2 for different stretches would suit him nicely.  Will he put up 57 points?  No.  But I wouldn't be shocked if this guy has 40 points in him given the right rhythm and linemates.  More realistic for this coming season is maybe 15 goals and 15 assists, and then likely fades into UFA.  But if he does well, wouldn't mind him back on a short-term 1 or 2 year (much cheaper) contract.

Never got a fair shake.  Would love to see Ruutu used in some different roles and to see what he could bring across different spots in the top 9.  He scored 57 points 5 years ago playing a top role in Carolina, and I believe played center as well as the wings.  Granted, he was 27 then and is now 32 or so, and I don't expect that to ever happen again.  But I could easily see Ruutu being a great utility player for NJ who could be used in various situations.  He's definitely more skilled than your typical grinders, and I think a spot on line #2 for different stretches would suit him nicely.  Will he put up 57 points?  No.  But I wouldn't be shocked if this guy has 40 points in him given the right rhythm and linemates.  More realistic for this coming season is maybe 15 goals and 15 assists, and then likely fades into UFA.  But if he does well, wouldn't mind him back on a short-term 1 or 2 year (much cheaper) contract.

He's 32 and has had I believe hip surgery.  I just didn't see very much out of him last year, I know he was saddled with poor linemates and he was definitely better than Zubrus, but that's not saying much, as Zubrus played like a 6th liner.

If the Devils re-sign him they owe a 3rd round pick to Carolina in 2017.  So basically that should never happen, but I don't expect it will, either.

Ehh, I disagree to a point.  He's played in the top six before and that was when Carolina was good.  He's a vet and could make a good mentor to Matteau or younger players.  I don't think he was that terrible when we rolled with Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr.  Granted, that's not exactly a top offensive line.  

And for those arguing that he was too expensive, we gave up friggin Loktionov.  A player who couldn't score even when playing with Kovy.  How was Andrei Loktionov expensive for Ruutu?  The only true and honest downside to that was that we gave up a young player for an old player.  If Loktionov was still here in New Jersey, do any of us REALLY think that he'd be a top 6 player by now?  You're dreaming if you believe that.  

Ehh, I disagree to a point.  He's played in the top six before and that was when Carolina was good.  He's a vet and could make a good mentor to Matteau or younger players.  I don't think he was that terrible when we rolled with Ruutu-Zajac-Jagr.  Granted, that's not exactly a top offensive line.  

And for those arguing that he was too expensive, we gave up friggin Loktionov.  A player who couldn't score even when playing with Kovy.  How was Andrei Loktionov expensive for Ruutu?  The only true and honest downside to that was that we gave up a young player for an old player.  If Loktionov was still here in New Jersey, do any of us REALLY think that he'd be a top 6 player by now?  You're dreaming if you believe that.  

Loktionov scored great with Kovalchuk.  It was when he with anyone else that he didn't do well.  I'd love to see him in a system that doesn't use Deboer's defensive zone coverages - seems like he can be a solid 3rd line center.

Edited by Triumph

Loktionov scored great with Kovalchuk.  It was when he with anyone else that he didn't do well.  I'd love to see him in a system that doesn't use Deboer's defensive zone coverages - seems like he can be a solid 3rd line center.

By that same logic, shouldn't he had thrived in Carolina?

EDIT: Now that I'm looking at his numbers from playing in Russia, I could be convinced he could be a solid 3rd line center, sure, but over Josefson? I'm not so sure.

Edited by RizzMB30

By that same logic, shouldn't he had thrived in Carolina?

EDIT: Now that I'm looking at his numbers from playing in Russia, I could be convinced he could be a solid 3rd line center, sure, but over Josefson? I'm not so sure.

He was fine in Carolina, then he separated his shoulder playing in the WCs and Carolina didn't qualify him.  

He has far better scoring rates than Josefson and is almost certainly a better player.  Circumstances (and probably his personal insistence that he play center) have pushed him out of the NHL.

Agreed he has totally been misused by PDB.   Another player who can alive after he left.

Second statement is completely not true. 2 goals and 4 assists in 42 games after Deboer got fired. 20/42 games he played under 10 minutes. Ruutu was a constant on the 4th line all season. It didn't matter the coach.

Second statement is completely not true. 2 goals and 4 assists in 42 games after Deboer got fired. 20/42 games he played under 10 minutes. Ruutu was a constant on the 4th line all season. It didn't matter the coach.

I agree the points weren't there, but he was a greater presence and helped create more opportunities. I like his game after we traded Jagr.