2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

Might as well start up this thread, I am doing a little advance research on the 2016 draft and man if NJ can get one of the top 2 forwards I will be some happy.

Jesse Puljujarvi - This kid if developed properly could be an absolute beast in the NHL. He is 6`3 200 with excellent NHL speed and an NHL shot. A lot of people may be saying, well that is basicly Zacha. Puljujarvi moves laterally east to west better, creates scoring chances better and shoots a lot more, offensively I see Ovechkin and Finnish players seem to buy into defense/systems a little better than Russians. 

Austin Mathews - Posted better numbers than Jack Eichel at same age, destroyed under 18, destroyed USHL and was OK at under 20. Has elite speed, size and offensive instincts. Drives the net and shoots from everywhere. I'm not sure how he develops as a center, maybe similar to a Stamkos type player.

Reading about prospects like those already gets me pumped up for next years draft lol since we'll probably be in the top 5-6 picks. For now I'm excited to see what Zacha can bring to the table since I think he is a great player and will be awesome for us in the future. He absolutely has the tools to do so, let's see how he develops. With that being said, I read an article in The Hockey News about Puljujarvi, and I read only positives. I'll keep a close eye on him.

Puljujarvi lolks awesome. send zacha to sarnia after 9 games and pick beatiful linemate for him

Just imagine how zajac after three years and plaing with zacha and finnish ovechkin in line looks in th mirror and cry like a girl with words on his mouth - oh god thanks you. God thank cor that.

And henrique staying on the mirror and saying - what do iwrong, god? f*cking gionta!

From what I've heard on this Draft, this seems like an early Top 10 or so:

1. Auston Matthews, C, ZSC (SUI)

2. Jesse Puljujarvi, C/RW, Karpat (FIN)

3. Jakob Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)

4. Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)

5. Max Jones, LW, London (OHL)

6. Patrik Laine, RW, Tappara (FIN)

7. Logan Brown, C/LW, Windsor (OHL)

8. Chad Krys, D, USA U-18 (USHL)

9. Dmitri Sokolov, C/LW, Sudbury (OHL)

10. Sean Day, D, Mississauga (OHL)

HO: Kale Clague, D, Brandon (WHL)

HO: Sam Steel, C, Regina (WHL)

Interesting note: Chad Krys played his youth hockey for the NJ Rockets, who play at the Amerihealth Pavilion. Good news for our team is that this seems like another very forward heavy Draft, as it stands right now though there's a very clear cut Top 4 or 5, I wouldn't be surprised though if Sokolov moves up there during the year, I get the feeling people are going to love him.

Edited by CommonDreads

• 2 weeks later...

I think Schneider will prevent us from finishing bottom 3 (I believe that territory belongs to Arizona, Toronto, and Carolina this year), but it's very possible to finish with the 4th or 5th slot (Matthew Tkachuk range) with a real possibility to jump to #2 or #3 with the lottery. I think getting the 1st Overall pick is a pipe dream, but the lottery could work in our favor, and if it doesn't, Matthew Tkachuk would be a good consolation prize.

I think Schneider will prevent us from finishing bottom 3 (I believe that territory belongs to Arizona, Toronto, and Carolina this year), but it's very possible to finish with the 4th or 5th slot (Matthew Tkachuk range) with a real possibility to jump to #2 or #3 with the lottery. I think getting the 1st Overall pick is a pipe dream, but the lottery could work in our favor, and if it doesn't, Matthew Tkachuk would be a good consolation prize.

While I'm not sure if the odds are exactly the same, the new lottery system, I believe, is basically the equivalent of how the NBA's system works.  I haven't found anything on one page that gives a break down of where all three lottery winners finished in the standings, but the wikipedia page tells you where the team that drafted number 1 overall finished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery#1990.E2.80.93present:_Weighted_lottery_system

It seems like you have a lot of teams that finished where the Devils finished last year that got the number 1 overall.  So, without doing the math, which I couldn't do anyway, it seems that finishing anywhere in the bottom seven gives you a reasonably decent shot at getting number 1 or 2, if you want to use the NBA lottery as a proxy, which is where you need to be to get one of the two forwards, unless the Sarnia Chychurn really impresses. 

And when you think about it that way, I'm glad that the lottery system is changing.  I really don't want to be in a situation where I'm rooting for the Devils to be as bad as Buffalo was last year. 

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread. Got my first round of content out for the Draft, check it out if you'd like:

2016 Draft Top 50 Rankings - November

1. Auston Matthews, C, Zurich (SUI)

2. Jesse Puljujarvi, C/RW, Karpat (FIN)

3. Jakub Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)

4. Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)

5. Patrik Laine, LW, Tappara (FIN)

6. Julien Gauthier, C/RW, Val-d'Or (QMJHL)

7. Alexander Nylander, LW/RW, Mississauga (OHL)

8. Olli Juolevi, D, London (OHL)

9. Dmitri Sokolov, C/LW, Sudbury (OHL)

10. Max Jones, C/LW, London (OHL)

2016 NHL Mock Draft - Nov. 26th

1. EDM - Auston Matthews, C, Zurich (SUI)

2. CGY - Jesse Puljujarvi, C/RW, Karpat (FIN)

3. COL - Jakub Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)

4. CBJ - Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)

5. BUF - Patrik Laine, LW, Tappara (FIN)

6. TOR - Alexander Nylander, LW/RW, Mississauga (OHL)

7. PHI - Julien Gauthier, C/RW, Val-d'Or (QMJHL)

8. ANA - Olli Juolevi, D, London (OHL)

9. CAR - Max Jones, C/LW, London (OHL)

10. FLA - Pierre-Luc Dubois, C/LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)

-

12. NJ - Tyson Jost, C/LW, Penticton (BCHL)