Adidas gets NHL jersey deal. Starts 17-18. Advertising on jerseys poss

ghdi

That's 100% on Reebok and them being greedy. Why put out 2.0's when you can put out Indo-Edges for the same money but the cost of manufacture is lower? EPS used to actually have an option where you could buy a jersey from them and have them customize it before they ship it to you, but because of the Indo-Edge fiasco they stopped selling jerseys and strictly do customizations.

I never understood the point of the jock tag on premiers. I guess maybe something that came over from football? Makes no sense for them to be there.

I hope the change to Adidas will change this, but I won't hold my breath.

The change to Adidas will undoubtedly lead to more sh!tty replicas with superfluous sh!t that doesn't need to be there. They'll probably make the jock tag bigger lol.

The change to Adidas will undoubtedly lead to more sh!tty replicas with superfluous sh!t that doesn't need to be there. They'll probably make the jock tag bigger lol.

Honestly I don't think there will be much of a change, if any.  Adidas already owns Reebok so outside of the neck tag changing from the Reebok wordmark to the Adidas logo, I don't see any other changes they could make.

As a jersey collector, it's pretty simple to weed out the fakes. The real danger is to casual fans or non-collectors, who may not be able to tell. Someone who sees a fake for $150 and thinks they are getting a deal. Anyone buying a $30 fake (or the $50 fakes that are all over eBay lately) either knows what they are getting and doesn't care, or they are just completely clueless.

And yes, the price increase from CCM to Reebok did not help this.

But, I will stand by my former opinion that there's no reason to give a sh!t what jerseys other people do or do not collect or wear. Some are perfectly happy with their fakes. Personally, knowing that fewer people have legit jerseys means that my legit jerseys are that much more special.

Especially for hockey and the lettering.  And, I agree about the pricing.  Reebok paid through the nose for the license, and expected the fans to pay what they wanted.  Not everyone is willing to spend that kind of money and they will settle for a knock-off.  I have bought one jersey since the 05 lockout, and it was from the store in the Livingston mall when they were closing.  Ron gave me a Rangers jersey for $40.  It was a replica, but I'm not paying for the Edge, or Authentic, or whatever the hell they are called now.

P.S.  If you are a collector, have some jerseys sitting in my closet I bought years ago I would sell for cheap.  Bought most on EBay in the late 90s as I was starting a collection, but lost interest when I realized I really had no interest in displaying them.  Never worn, some have tags, some tags have fallen off.

Edited by Matteau#32

Especially for hockey and the lettering.  And, I agree about the pricing.  Reebok paid through the nose for the license, and expected the fans to pay what they wanted.  Not everyone is willing to spend that kind of money and they will settle for a knock-off.  I have bought one jersey since the 05 lockout, and it was from the store in the Livingston mall when they were closing.  Ron gave me a Rangers jersey for $40.  It was a replica, but I'm not paying for the Edge, or Authentic, or whatever the hell they are called now.

P.S.  If you are a collector, have some jerseys sitting in my closet I bought years ago I would sell for cheap.  Bought most on EBay in the late 90s as I was starting a collection, but lost interest when I realized I really had no interest in displaying them.  Never worn, some have tags, some tags have fallen off.

$40 was because the store is closing.  Now most places such as NHL Shop and brick and mortar stores force people into getting customized jerseys and spend $150-180 for them.  Only place I know that constantly have blanks is SportsK and they are asking $105 for a blank.  No way should blanks be more than $60-70 and no way should a lot of these other places force people to get theirs customized (sh!tty customization I might add) and not have access to blanks.

Some of the blame falls on Fanatics as well.  They run the NHL shop website as well as Dicks, Modells and Sports Authority fan shop website as well as control inventory for the brick and mortar stores.  They, along with Reebok, pretty much control most, if not all of the merchandise the NHL sells.

$40 was because the store is closing.  Now most places such as NHL Shop and brick and mortar stores force people into getting customized jerseys and spend $150-180 for them.  Only place I know that constantly have blanks is SportsK and they are asking $105 for a blank.  No way should blanks be more than $60-70 and no way should a lot of these other places force people to get theirs customized (sh!tty customization I might add) and not have access to blanks.

Some of the blame falls on Fanatics as well.  They run the NHL shop website as well as Dicks, Modells and Sports Authority fan shop website as well as control inventory for the brick and mortar stores.  They, along with Reebok, pretty much control most, if not all of the merchandise the NHL sells.

Oh, I know that, and that is why I haven't bothered buying jerseys.  

The only authentic jersey I have is a CCM gomez. I won it when I was 9 or 10 in a raffle. I grew up to 6 feet and it still doesn't fit. I may buy myself real jerseys one day when I stop getting threatening letters from the gas company every 3 months.

A couple months ago, I found two Marshalls gift cards floating around the bottom of my backpack. I went in looking for undershirts, and came out with a day game alternate Phillies jersey. I didn't spend a dime. I also go the undershirts. I love knockoffs.

"Honestly, in my experience, it's the exact opposite. I have bought jerseys at full retail in the past for $170 off of NHL.com and never wore it, left the tags on it and then sold it down the line. When I did sell it, I was lucky to get $120 with shipping included."

Umm, that is true of basically any consumer good in the world. If you pay full retail for an item (and as far as jerseys go, there's zero reason to do that as you can easily find new or slightly used ones at a discount, but anyway), of course you are going to take a loss if you re-sell it. The lone exception is if the supply is limited and the item is a collectible and the value goes up. This is not the case with replica jerseys that you are buying from NHL.com, because you can buy as many as you want all day long; an item like that will never hold its value.

It's like how they say a new car loses value the second you drive it off the lot.

And, same is true of an authentic jersey, even though the supply of those seems to be less. I know I'll take a huge hit if I pay full retail for an authentic. But, with a little time and attention, you can easily buy these things for a pretty sizeable chunk off retail.

Honestly I don't think there will be much of a change, if any.  Adidas already owns Reebok so outside of the neck tag changing from the Reebok wordmark to the Adidas logo, I don't see any other changes they could make.

They are spending a ton for this contract, I think the article said twice as much as Reebok did last time, so I'm sure they will do what they can to increase sales, and what better way to do that than to force teams to change to new designs?  Like I said, the fans will always buy their favorite team's new jersey.

Picking out the fakes is easy for jersey collectors because we know what to look for, but I think for the everyday fan, it isn't as simple and becomes not worth the trouble to weed out the fakes.  One of my old roommates is a big Rangers fan, and his girlfriend bought him a McDonagh jersey.  He is aware of the prevalence of fake jerseys, and said he thought his was legit because he didn't see anything wrong with it, and wanted me to verify it for him.  As soon he showed it to me I pointed out a handful of fake jersey characteristics that were present on his jersey.  He even has a few officially-licensed replicas and still wasn't able to see the difference until I showed him.

I may be interested in your old jerseys, do you have a list of what they are?

"Honestly, in my experience, it's the exact opposite. I have bought jerseys at full retail in the past for $170 off of NHL.com and never wore it, left the tags on it and then sold it down the line. When I did sell it, I was lucky to get $120 with shipping included."

Umm, that is true of basically any consumer good in the world. If you pay full retail for an item (and as far as jerseys go, there's zero reason to do that as you can easily find new or slightly used ones at a discount, but anyway), of course you are going to take a loss if you re-sell it. The lone exception is if the supply is limited and the item is a collectible and the value goes up. This is not the case with replica jerseys that you are buying from NHL.com, because you can buy as many as you want all day long; an item like that will never hold its value.

It's like how they say a new car loses value the second you drive it off the lot.

And, same is true of an authentic jersey, even though the supply of those seems to be less. I know I'll take a huge hit if I pay full retail for an authentic. But, with a little time and attention, you can easily buy these things for a pretty sizeable chunk off retail.

So it sounds like we agree then that both knockoffs and official jerseys are pretty easy to find and at good prices.  I still don't know how that makes wearing an official one special in this case.

Even for 2.0's while expensive (and really overpriced), I can always go to JB and get one.  It's always going to be there as long as he is around.

They are spending a ton for this contract, I think the article said twice as much as Reebok did last time, so I'm sure they will do what they can to increase sales, and what better way to do that than to force teams to change to new designs?  Like I said, the fans will always buy their favorite team's new jersey.

Picking out the fakes is easy for jersey collectors because we know what to look for, but I think for the everyday fan, it isn't as simple and becomes not worth the trouble to weed out the fakes.  One of my old roommates is a big Rangers fan, and his girlfriend bought him a McDonagh jersey.  He is aware of the prevalence of fake jerseys, and said he thought his was legit because he didn't see anything wrong with it, and wanted me to verify it for him.  As soon he showed it to me I pointed out a handful of fake jersey characteristics that were present on his jersey.  He even has a few officially-licensed replicas and still wasn't able to see the difference until I showed him.

I am not sure if completely re-designing jerseys is in their plans.  They can still maintain the same rate of having special event jerseys (all-star, Heritage Classic, Winter Classic, SS, retro nights, etc.) and still make a ton without having to blow up the Edge template and start over again.  The Edge jersey was a big leap because of the actual construction of the jerseys was much different than we have seen in the past.  In all the other cases, the biggest change was just the materials used, and not actual construction.

Hell, the Maple Leafs are planning to celebrate their Centennial this year by doing what Montreal did in 2008-09 season where they wore a handful of retro-style jerseys throughout the year.  That's probably at least 4 or 5 different styles that can be sold to the public without re-inventing the wheel.

Fake jerseys vary pretty greatly by quality, but with each passing year the quality gets worse and worse.  In addition to cost, I forgot to add that Reebok and Fanatics shoot themselves in their own feet by the poor quality customization they give to fans.  I know a lot of people who prefer the knockoffs for the simple reason that they are stitched and don't use the crappy heat-pressed, non-twill customization materials.  While some of the blame for this falls on the fans in this regard, if Reebok/Fanatics upped their game they could better justify their prices.

Anybody know a good place to send in a jersey to get the name plates and numbers and such sewn on? I've been contemplating sending my Andy Greene Jersey in to get it sewn up since everything is just glued on and the name plate is starting to fall off.

EPS, but since it is glued those tend to be harder to strip.  Luckily for you it sounds like the job they did with yours was rushed and poorly done since it is falling off, so it might come out already.  Send EPS an email and see what they say.

So it sounds like we agree then that both knockoffs and official jerseys are pretty easy to find and at good prices. I still don't know how that makes wearing an official one special in this case.

Even for 2.0's while expensive (and really overpriced), I can always go to JB and get one. It's always going to be there as long as he is around.

It makes it special TO ME. It's my opinion.

Anybody know a good place to send in a jersey to get the name plates and numbers and such sewn on? I've been contemplating sending my Andy Greene Jersey in to get it sewn up since everything is just glued on and the name plate is starting to fall off.

Bring it to Cosby's in Manhattan near MSG.  Not only do they know how to do it right, they know how to make the numbers and letters themselves.  They do not use kits.  They are a little slow, might want to call them to make sure they do Devils jerseys, but I believe they do.

My wife is not a jersey collector, but even she can tell the difference now.  it is especially obvious at games when you might have someone with a knock-off walking next to someone with a real jersey.  With the Rangers it is even more obvious.  Between the drop-shadow being off, the letters not being arched properly.

Here's a painful one, went to Giants practice Thursday.  My wife works in Bergen county now, and beforehand we met for dinner at the Buffalo Wild Wings on route 3 a few miles east of the Meadowlands.  I went in, saw framed jerseys hanging.  They had an Eli which was the cheap heat pressed replica, a signed Brodeur that was either a cheaply done replica or knock-off as the numbers were completely wrong.  Just had to shake my head.  You would think a corporation would have the budget to spend the extra $100 to get an authentic jersey signed.

My wife is not a jersey collector, but even she can tell the difference now. it is especially obvious at games when you might have someone with a knock-off walking next to someone with a real jersey. With the Rangers it is even more obvious. Between the drop-shadow being off, the letters not being arched properly.

Here's a painful one, went to Giants practice Thursday. My wife works in Bergen county now, and beforehand we met for dinner at the Buffalo Wild Wings on route 3 a few miles east of the Meadowlands. I went in, saw framed jerseys hanging. They had an Eli which was the cheap heat pressed replica, a signed Brodeur that was either a cheaply done replica or knock-off as the numbers were completely wrong. Just had to shake my head. You would think a corporation would have the budget to spend the extra $100 to get an authentic jersey signed.

The BWW in Rockaway by the Rockaway Mall has the same Brodeur and Eli jerseys hanging up- fake as a 3 dollar bill. They have a Kovakchuk STILL hanging up too. I don't think they're very on top of things lol.

I would not recommend Cosby's for Devils customizations.  I always suggest the team customizer, which for the Devils is Exclusive Pro Sports since 2005.  Hell even if it was a Rangers jersey, I wouldn't recommend them unless it's a pre-Edge jersey.  Cosby hasn't done the customization for Rangers jerseys since then as it has moved over to Arena Wear.  Not only that, but if you want a Rangers premier jersey customized with a name plate of a current player, the guy said flat out to a Rangers fan buddy of mine "we don't believe in that crap" as they do not do nameplates (Rangers started using them around the time they switched over to the Edge template).  Not only that but they still arch them way too much (the arching got smaller when they switched to Arena Wear) and the old guy who runs Cosby's is a dick.  To add the cherry on top, they charge $100 I believe which is insane.  I wouldn't want to deal with a place that is not flexible, doesn't use the current formats and fonts and charge an arm and a leg for customization.

As for Buffalo Wild Wings, the one in Bridgewater still has a framed knockoff Parise Devils jersey still hanging up there.  The owners just don't give a sh!t and want something cheap and sports related to hang on the wall to fill up space.

I would not recommend Cosby's for Devils customizations.  I always suggest the team customizer, which for the Devils is Exclusive Pro Sports since 2005.  Hell even if it was a Rangers jersey, I wouldn't recommend them unless it's a pre-Edge jersey.  Cosby hasn't done the customization for Rangers jerseys since then as it has moved over to Arena Wear.  Not only that, but if you want a Rangers premier jersey customized with a name plate of a current player, the guy said flat out to a Rangers fan buddy of mine "we don't believe in that crap" as they do not do nameplates (Rangers started using them around the time they switched over to the Edge template).  Not only that but they still arch them way too much (the arching got smaller when they switched to Arena Wear) and the old guy who runs Cosby's is a dick.  To add the cherry on top, they charge $100 I believe which is insane.  I wouldn't want to deal with a place that is not flexible, doesn't use the current formats and fonts and charge an arm and a leg for customization.

As for Buffalo Wild Wings, the one in Bridgewater still has a framed knockoff Parise Devils jersey still hanging up there.  The owners just don't give a sh!t and want something cheap and sports related to hang on the wall to fill up space.

Yes, if whoever does the jerseys for the teams is open to the public, then by all means use them.  Surprised about your experience at Cosby's.  I'm not a fan of the nameplates either, but if that is what the customer wants......

Yes, if whoever does the jerseys for the teams is open to the public, then by all means use them.  Surprised about your experience at Cosby's.  I'm not a fan of the nameplates either, but if that is what the customer wants......

Yup and for pre-Edge Rangers, Cosby's is the way to go in terms of accuracy.  Edge jerseys go to NHL Store as when they send jerseys out to be stitched, they use Arena Wear.  Just got to make sure to tell them not to use the in-house heat-pressed crap they use.

The guy at Cosby's has a reputation for being salty to say the least.  That along with no longer supply the Rangers with their uniforms it makes sense why his store looks the way it looks and why it is located where it is now located.

They lost their lease when when they started the renovation.  But, I can imagine their business has suffered since.  There was a time when everyone knew Cosby's, now even if I want to stop in there or tell someone about it, I have to think about where it is located.  Can never remember if it is 31st or 32nd near 7th.  They used to have a USA World Cup 96 jersey hanging with "1-Cosby".  Tried many times to buy it, would have clipped off the name and number and had Richter or Leetch put on, they wouldn't budge.

They lost their lease when when they started the renovation.  But, I can imagine their business has suffered since.  There was a time when everyone knew Cosby's, now even if I want to stop in there or tell someone about it, I have to think about where it is located.  Can never remember if it is 31st or 32nd near 7th.  They used to have a USA World Cup 96 jersey hanging with "1-Cosby".  Tried many times to buy it, would have clipped off the name and number and had Richter or Leetch put on, they wouldn't budge.

The renovation started in 2011 but he moved in 2008 from what I have read and remember.  He is now on 31st between 6th and 7th, but closer to 7th (it is almost right on the corner).  The old store was great but the new one is tiny and really nothing much different than what you would find at a Modells around the corner.

Is it bad that I still prefer the unknown (Adidas) over if Nike got the contract? Nike's Olympic jerseys were god awful and I hope they're never handed a hockey contract again.

I agree, it could have been a lot worse.  Just wonder if they gave others like Under Armor a chance to really bid on it.

I guess having the $ wins in most cases and this is no exception.