Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

interesting trade. brassard was pretty good for the rangers - their #1 center really even though I think they consider steppan that.

still - i'd say a pretty even trade.

Kidding aside, it's a fair deal for both teams... Zibinajed is like six years younger than Brassard, which is obviously better for the Rags long term.

The Rags getting instead of giving a pick in the first 3 rounds? What is this crap?

The most curious thing about the move is that Brassard is more established and going to a team that isn't in a win now mode or even an upswing and Zibinajed is the guy with potential and younger going to the team that's more win now.

Edited by roomtemp

Yea this has the earmarks of another help the rags type of deal. I mean as of now Brassard is the better player but Zibanejad had a nice year last year, and he is 23, and Ottawa throws in their 2nd in 2018. Not sure why they needed that to make this deal happen.

If I'm Ottawa, there really is no need to make this trade unless perhaps Mika demanded it behind the scenes. Or he's a locker room cancer and we just don't know about it.

Really don't understand this one from Ottawa's perspective. I like Zibanejad a lot, so it will suck to have to root against him. On a more uplifting note, this is the first NYR trade I've seen recently that reflects the notion that their window has closed.

Also, to put something in perspective, people were talking about swapping Larsson for Zib not so long ago. Look what each player brought back.

On October 5, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

Of course, AFTER he's done here he's bringing back the mullet :lol:

I would have thought he would have waited until he was on the Islanders, but the mullet would only have been appropriate on Long Island, not in the BK. 

Rangers win the trade but it's not as outrageous as one might think, though the Senators did pay to get a hometown kid.  Zibenjead gets more expensive next year and is paid the same amount as Brassard this year when you consider Brassard's bonus, so money is actually on Ottawa's side here.

12 hours ago, Triumph said:

Rangers win the trade but it's not as outrageous as one might think, though the Senators did pay to get a hometown kid.  Zibenjead gets more expensive next year and is paid the same amount as Brassard this year when you consider Brassard's bonus, so money is actually on Ottawa's side here.

How is money on Ottawa's side?  Brassard makes $5MM per year.  Zibanejad makes $3.25MM this year, but his cap hit is $2.625MM.  I doubt Zibanejad gets $5MM next year as an RFA unless the cap goes up tremendously and that is only happening with a a huge jump in the price of oil.

On 7/11/2016 at 11:32 AM, DJ Eco said:

I'm no Rangers/Kreider expert, but I feel like Palmieri is on the upswing career/performance-wise and Kreider is on the downswing. I feel like 57 points Palmieri had this past season is what he will be consistently capable of moving forward, or at least hover around that.

I think Kreider will just continue to stay where he's at, with his ceiling being at about 45-50 points max. He had a couple good playoffs, which I think have inflated his potential value but I'm not sure I'd offer him what Palmieri is making, the way Brooks is insinuating that Gorton should do.

I think Gorton's better off trading him to someone else who overvalues him; I don't think Rangers can afford to throw money at people who may/may not be worth it, they need to certain with who they throw $4-5-6 million contracts to. I think they should prioritize JT Miller in the long run, and Miller would be a closer parallel to Palmieri, money-wise, imo.

$4-5-6MM is a pretty big range.  Kreider likely gets the lower end of that range.  $4-4.5MM per year is a good deal for him on both ends.  How does being good in the play-offs "inflate" one's value?  A big reason why guys like Nash get ripped so much is because of how they have underperformed in the play-offs.  Can't rip one guy for underperforming in the play-offs and at the same time downplay another because "He had a couple of good play-offs which I think have inflated his potential value..."

2 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

How is money on Ottawa's side?  Brassard makes $5MM per year.  Zibanejad makes $3.25MM this year, but his cap hit is $2.625MM.  I doubt Zibanejad gets $5MM next year as an RFA unless the cap goes up tremendously and that is only happening with a a huge jump in the price of oil.

Brassard makes $5M this year and then $3.5M in each of the next two years.  I bet Zibanejad ends up being paid more money overall.

Just now, Triumph said:

Brassard makes $5M this year and then $3.5M in each of the next two years.  I bet Zibanejad ends up being paid more money overall.

The Cap hit is $5MM, which all I care about.  The contract was front-loaded.  Think Brassard was paid $7.5MM the first year.