Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

Use this thread for happenings around the NHL, but if something is really big, feel free to start a thread about it.

Starting it off (and I did struggle if this was worthy of its own thread) we've got BREAKING news regarding Jaromir Jagr:

BREAKING FASHION NEWS: .@68Jagr says he's growing his hair, bringing back the mullet. 'I have to.' #FlaPanthers

Torres is a repeat offender and the play certainly wasn't clean, but 41 games should be reserved for the most heinous of acts, this did not deserve 41 game. 

And of course some moron had his head down, but this was no flying elbow, Torres did not look like he targeted the head either. Kept elbows in, just skated into the guy (not with reckless abandon either)

This just looks like they want Torres out of the league.  No one is going to miss him because he doesn't give too much more to a team than these kinds of a play so I understand the sentiment.  But I just think of how Kreider plays and feel like there are different rules for different players/teams. 

Kreiders boarding on Jonas Brodin was much worse than this. But the league refuses to start a tab on that guy because he's a beloved Ranger. Tough to take the league seriously nowadays when Kreider still hasn't been suspended

Kreiders boarding on Jonas Brodin was much worse than this. But the league refuses to start a tab on that guy because he's a beloved Ranger. Tough to take the league seriously nowadays when Kreider still hasn't been suspended

And the excuse most times is he has never been suspended so he gets the benefit of the doubt due to clean record.

Torres'  41 games is ridiculous, but I'll tell you where this is headed(no pun intended). Previously, more so last year, everyone taking on Bettman/NHL for the concussion rates, increased injuries with speed of the game, post hockey life concussed vets, and tragedies like Montador's suicide,

When Bettman/NHL used the Judge in the case(his statement) to weasel out of concussion lawsuits,CBAs, NHLPA, etc, caused a stir.  I caught Bettman blathering about the clearing of the NHL saying, "the judge said about concussions/hits to the head are not the result of  hockey brain issues..."  I think Bettman made the statement on opening day presser for the Draft or Combine week, kinda pissed me off that whole exchange. 

Well, now Torres is the poster boy for the new reduced injuries NHL 2015-16. There's going to be zero tolerance on anything to the head, rightfully-so, but Torres is the me$$age to everyone else in the league. Hopefully, he'll get the costly suspension cut in half on appeal.

Torres has been suspended 4 times in the last 5 years, and he hasn't even played that many games over that stretch.  He's not the poster boy for reduced injuries - he's the poster boy for not continuing to endanger other players on the ice unnecessarily.  The NHL is making a statement that people who routinely violate the rules will be suspended for a very long time.  Torres's career is over after this either way, he's turning 34 and he was never a great player in his prime.  He will not get this suspension cut in half.

Mark Spector wrote a piece that says Torres had only played 15 NHL games since his last suspension for a hit to Jarret Stoll. Despite that, Torres is not considered a repeat offender under the CBA because of the amount of time that has passed since that incident (mostly due to injuries that kept Torres out of the game). Assuming all that is true, there is still a lot of inconsistencies in the NHL's messaging on head shots.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/the-nhl-is-a-better-safer-place-without-raffi-torres/

Edited by devils102

Look at this hit objectively, not through the pansified NHL prism. Now granted, I DO think it's cheap and I certainly wouldn't want any Devils to get rocked like that, but this clown has his head down and is going North to South in an area he shouldn't be. The penalty for this is getting hit. 

Torres does not leave his feet, Torres has his elbows tucked him, he is not jabbing at his head...to me it looks like he's just trying to hit him cleanly, shoulder to shoulder, and then it goes awry and yes contact to the head is made. You want to suspend him...fine. But 41 games makes the league look like a joke. Especially when Kreider gets nothing for all the crap he's done. Kreider had Brodin already leaning over at the goal line and shoved him headfirst into the boards. 

This one doesn't get mentioned much either but look at this knee on knee with Burakovsky

This guy is just as bad as Torres. But they just refuse to do anything about him.

Edited by '7'

And this too by Nash... 

Not even a mention from Dep't of Player Safety. I guess if you stand around and look at the guy on the ice like a freaking brainless inbred after you commit the foul, you're given the benefit of the doubt. Or it could be the contract and Rangers jersey...

Edited by DJ Eco

I saw that Nash one live and now that I watch it again, I think he was trying to avoid Kopecky by jumping out of the way, and I think that's why he got nothing for that.

Torres's problem is that he lines up for the hit and he's going to make that hit no matter what happens with the puck.  He sees Silfverberg stop at the blueline and he decides he's going in.  Then he realizes he's going to miss the hit and he sticks his shoulder out at the last second.  You cannot do that anymore.   Oh and the hit is also late.  41 games is fine.  He'll be out of the league at the end of the year and that'll be the end of that.

Kreider has been very lucky but he will get suspended eventually.

Edited by Triumph

I hope this is the year Kreider pays. That dumb bastard is LOOOOOONG overdue. And you know it won't be long until he pulls some cheap bullsh!t, either a hit from behind, running into a goalie, etc, so the league better start treating him like they treat the Raffi Torres' of the world. Dude is a straight up punk.

Edited by MadDog2020

I hope this is the year Kreider pays. That dumb bastard is LOOOOOONG overdue. And you know it won't be long until he pulls some cheap bullsh!t, either a hit from behind, running into a goalie, etc, so the league better start treating him like they treat the Raffi Torres' of the world. Dude is a straight up punk.

As long as he is wearing that blue jersey he will be given every benefit of a doubt.  I don't have too much hope.

Report: Former NHLer Avery arrested

http://www.tsn.ca/report-former-nhler-avery-arrested-1.372713

According to the report, the criminal mischief charge was for Avery allegedly throwing objects at passing vehicles. He also was found to be in possession of two prescription drugs, acetaminophen with oxycodone and roxicodone

Roxicodone is the main gateway to heroin here in Ocean County where it's become an epidemic. We'll see where this guy is in 5 years.

As for cocaine, I'm pretty sure it leaves your system in like 3 days. It's easy as sh!t to get if you have $90 to blow (get it) and really doesn't have long term effects with occasional use for most people. I'm sure many more players are doing cocaine than the numbers are showing, because you have to either be habitually using coke pretty frequently or get really unlucky to get caught by this kind of drug testing.

Look at this hit objectively, not through the pansified NHL prism. Now granted, I DO think it's cheap and I certainly wouldn't want any Devils to get rocked like that, but this clown has his head down and is going North to South in an area he shouldn't be. The penalty for this is getting hit. 

Torres does not leave his feet, Torres has his elbows tucked him, he is not jabbing at his head...to me it looks like he's just trying to hit him cleanly, shoulder to shoulder, and then it goes awry and yes contact to the head is made. You want to suspend him...fine. But 41 games makes the league look like a joke. Especially when Kreider gets nothing for all the crap he's done. Kreider had Brodin already leaning over at the goal line and shoved him headfirst into the boards. 

This one doesn't get mentioned much either but look at this knee on knee with Burakovsky

This guy is just as bad as Torres. But they just refuse to do anything about him.

You're nuts. Torres is the dirtiest player since Cooke and deserves to be tossed at this point. All the suspensions and he still hasn't learned. You just don't like Kreider. Granted. He does push the envelope. He could've been fined or suspended once or twice. However, that underscores the kind of player he is. A physically gifted power forward with speed, skill and edge. Those are hard to find. You used to root for guys like that when the Devils were good. Claude Lemieux comes to mind. Bill Guerin even though most of his success came after he was dealt. Bobby Holik pushed the envelope quite a bit but was revered for helping them win Cups. There's no difference except Kreider plays for the enemy.