NFL Franchise in London

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but just wanted to guage opinions on the NFL having a franchise in London.

Seems like it is a sure thig to happen with the Jaguars being the team to be moved.

What do NFL fans actually think?

Personally i dont like the idea. If the Premier League suddenly said we are going to play one team from the US all season i would hate it.

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but just wanted to guage opinions on the NFL having a franchise in London.

Seems like it is a sure thig to happen with the Jaguars being the team to be moved.

What do NFL fans actually think?

Personally i dont like the idea. If the Premier League suddenly said we are going to play one team from the US all season i would hate it.

Is there some recent news that it's a sure thing, because I'm still not convinced that it is.  One major issue is the time difference in that I don't see how a London team will ever be able to play a home game that is in a prime time slot (kickoff at 8-9 pm NY time on Thursday, Sunday or Monday).  There's no rule that a London team has to play home games during those time slots, but if the team becomes really good (which is obviously the point of getting a team in the first place) it'll be weird having one of the best teams in the league not having any home games on a night when the most viewers can watch the games.

I've also read, but am not certain, that the NFL will need special legislation from either Parliament or from UK administrative agencies because the salary cap is illegal there, but don't quote me on that one. 

All this said, I'm not dead set against the idea.

Is there some recent news that it's a sure thing, because I'm still not convinced that it is. One major issue is the time difference in that I don't see how a London team will ever be able to play a home game that is in a prime time slot (kickoff at 8-9 pm NY time on Thursday, Sunday or Monday). There's no rule that a London team has to play home games during those time slots, but if the team becomes really good (which is obviously the point of getting a team in the first place) it'll be weird having one of the best teams in the league not having any home games on a night when the most viewers can watch the games.

I've also read, but am not certain, that the NFL will need special legislation from either Parliament or from UK administrative agencies because the salary cap is illegal there, but don't quote me on that one.

All this said, I'm not dead set against the idea.

I am on my phone at the moment but will post some links later.

It seems from the reports that it is a sure thing. Tottenham have signed a deal to host games and apparently there has been an approach by the NFL over using Twickenham (Englands Rugby Union ground).

Those articles intimated that it was only a matter of time.

Logistically the time diference is a problem. West coast teams will have a massive journey. Every team that comes across is going to need time off to recover from the jet lag.

Not sure about the salary cap, rugby league has a salary cap i believe. (Just checked, it does).

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I am on my phone at the moment but will post some links later.

It seems from the reports that it is a sure thing. Tottenham have signed a deal to host games and apparently there has been an approach by the NFL over using Twickenham (Englands Rugby Union ground).

Those articles intimated that it was only a matter of time.

Logistically the time diference is a problem. West coast teams will have a massive journey. Every team that comes across is going to need time off to recover from the jet lag.

Not sure about the salary cap, rugby league has a salary cap i believe. (Just checked, it does).

Travel is another issue, as you point out.  I'm not sure if the player's union has a say in teams relocating or if it's entirely up to the owners.  If the union does, it'll probably ask for some significant concessions from the owners.  And even if it's entirely up to the owners, I could imagine that some would object in that it puts their teams at a competitive disadvantage.

The thing I could see is some team -- probably Jacksonville -- playing about half of its home games in the UK.  See if it can build up a local fan base (which isn't certain since I imagine that most Brits that are already interested in the NFL have their teams and won't switch allegiances), and then see if there are enough fans in the UK that might stay up into the wee hours of the morning to watch a prime time game.