Columbus Beat Writer Says Devils Interested in Atkinson, CBJ wants Lar

Daniel

I think right now larsson has the highest value of anyone on the roster on the trade market. I'm in the group that unless the return is beyond absurd, larsson cannot be involved. Like someone else said, he's potentially a future captain. His style is so solid, I just don't think a homegrown player who could very well be a superstar on the next competitive devils team is worth even mentioning. If I'm shero and his name comes up, I'm just saying no, we're starting this over.

Some of the opinions on Larsson are bordering on insane. I agree this would not be a good deal, but to suggest that Larsson should be "untouchable" is ridiculous. There's plenty of guys I'd take in exchange for Larsson or a package including Larsson.

There's no reason to move him for fair value. He's a homegrown 22 year old who's already an NHL vet and on our top pair. Why would we want someone who's only as good as he is? Why go chasing some winger when we have something every team covets?

The thing about trading Larsson or Severson, and perhaps even Merrill, is that it's pretty much a zero sum proposition, the way the team is currently constructed. I mean, you could trade one of the first two straight up for someone as talented as Taylor Hall, and the team likely isn't that much better.

What holds a lot of teams back that have very talented forwards is shaky defensemen and/or goaltending, like Columbus, Philly, and to a lesser extent teams like Washington. So in a sense, Conte and Lou left the team in good shape in that two thirds of what makes a successful team are in place, and should be for a while. While the forwards now obviously stink, we could be well on our way to that problem being sufficiently remedied if Zacha is what he's supposed to be, one of Speers or Quenneville or someone I'm not thinking about turns into a pleasant surprise, and we luck out in the draft this year.

But really it's the Kovalchuk penalty that was a real stinger. Decent chance, we have a guy like Dylan Larkin on the roster now, but for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

There's no reason to move him for fair value. He's a homegrown 22 year old who's already an NHL vet and on our top pair. Why would we want someone who's only as good as he is? Why go chasing some winger when we have something every team covets?

I'm not saying I'd be shopping him, but you go chasing a winger when you have something that everyone covets because, if everyone covets what you've got, you can potentially get one hell of a winger.

That being said, I'm not so sure I would call him an NHL vet. He has played two full seasons (well, shortened by injury, but he didn't spend time in the AHL), and he was demoted to the minors two seasons ago. He's had one good year. Before that he was a relative disaster.

He has tremendous upside and I wouldn't be looking to trade him, but let's say a team desperate for defense offers you a young 30-30-60 kind of guy, maybe for Larsson and a lesser forward, you don't take that deal?

I am very surprised that Portzline would write this, because normally he's pretty good, but this deal makes zero sense without either CBJ's 1st or Bjorkstand + Rychel in the deal, and something else from NJ coming the other way.  Atkinson is not only a worse player than Adam Larsson, he's older, and his contract expires sooner.  Larsson is obviously not untouchable, but trades usually happen when a team is unhappy with a particular player for whatever reason - I don't see NJ being in that position with Larsson.  RIght now Larsson is taking on insane responsibilities for NJ, and they do not have a player to replace him.

Edited by Triumph

This. 

I am very surprised that Portzline would write this, because normally he's pretty good, but this deal makes zero sense without either CBJ's 1st or Bjorkstand + Rychel in the deal, and something else from NJ coming the other way.  Atkinson is not only a worse player than Adam Larsson, he's older, and his contract expires sooner.  Larsson is obviously not untouchable, but trades usually happen when a team is unhappy with a particular player for whatever reason - I don't see NJ being in that position with Larsson.  RIght now Larsson is taking on insane responsibilities for NJ, and they do not have a player to replace him.

Now Gerril for Rychel interests me. 

I wouldn't even do Atkinson for Merrill to be honest.

I'm not saying I'd be shopping him, but you go chasing a winger when you have something that everyone covets because, if everyone covets what you've got, you can potentially get one hell of a winger.

That being said, I'm not so sure I would call him an NHL vet. He has played two full seasons (well, shortened by injury, but he didn't spend time in the AHL), and he was demoted to the minors two seasons ago. He's had one good year. Before that he was a relative disaster.

He has tremendous upside and I wouldn't be looking to trade him, but let's say a team desperate for defense offers you a young 30-30-60 kind of guy, maybe for Larsson and a lesser forward, you don't take that deal?

No I don't. Larsson can play in any situation and has the potential to be one of the best all around defenseman in the league. That's the kind of piece you want with a team in a long term rebuild. Success still starts in the back, and i don't think we should be sacrificing defensive pieces. Plus it's great to have homegrown guys become a part of the core.

If we're a little closer to being competitive, I'd consider moving a solid defensive piece for a young scorer. But sacrificing defense for an Atkinson or Taylor Hall right now, we're taking a step back.

why would dano even mention a trade "rumor" on a tv broadcast.. would have never happened under lou that would be the last time we would hear him speak.

Stan Fischler said Scott Gomez was traded to San Jose but the trade was not completed by the trade deadline and therefore fell apart.  He said this on a Devils broadcast.  Daneyko will be fine.

It's kind of click baity, but of all the celebrities that used car dealer told George the LeBaron belonged to, why Jon Voight?

Larsson obviously commands a lot more than Atkinson though, and I imagine that Shero understands that.

Atkinson is a speedy skilled small forward who tops out at 20-25 goals. Larsson is better than that. He dominated the 3 on 3 derby.

Larrson is going nowhere I would not give him up for anything he is the future of this franchise

The only thing we could realistically give him up for is a player of similar pedigree and similar possibilities. The only guy on Columbus I'd consider is Ryan Johansen and outside of him unless we were getting their 2016 first AND Zach Werenski AND another highly rated prospect, it would not be worth doing whatsoever. Columbus isn't going to do that, but outside of a sure thing or massive overpayment this deal cannot (and wont) be made.