Mets 2015-16 Offseason Thread

'7'

Benitez was far more of a big deal than I ever thought the Mets and Yankees would make lol...then again it's easier to conceive of that than it would be a Devils-Rangers deal since they are division rivals.

Speaking of which some people worry about the dumbest things like the one fan that asked Shero in the preseason would they trade with the Rangers since we'd never dealt with them ever.  It's just so problematic for actual division rivals to deal it's beyond me why anyone would have ever used that as a knock on Lou (never dealing the Rangers, doing only minor deals with the Flyers).

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reyes hasn't helped himself with this becoming a public issue. Guilty or not. It's a shame. I think some of this is an old school cultural issue. My grandfather once told one of my cousin's husband that it was ok for him to beat her now that they were married. He was a European that was born around the turn of the century. Things were different. Women couldn't disrespect their husband. Now, respect is hard to find anywhere. I'm not saying I agree, just saying. I don't think Reyes is a bad person, even after this. Obviously, he was never coming back at any point anyway. I would still take his skill set over DW. Hence, the reason I brought Tim Anderson up the other day. The Mets need speed spread throughout this lineup if they are going to win.

Edited by capo

Except Reyes doesn't have his skillset anymore.  Unfortunately, it's looking more and more like Wright doesn't have his either...and even when he did, he's always had issues in the clutch that are even worse now.  In a perfect world, the Mets would've just moved on from both of them, but as we know, due to a lot of circumstances the Mets "had" to retain Wright.  Just sucks that he's going to be such a negative going forward. 

Except Reyes doesn't have his skillset anymore. Unfortunately, it's looking more and more like Wright doesn't have his either...and even when he did, he's always had issues in the clutch that are even worse now. In a perfect world, the Mets would've just moved on from both of them, but as we know, due to a lot of circumstances the Mets "had" to retain Wright. Just sucks that he's going to be such a negative going forward.

I'm ready to move Wright to 1st so we don't have to see his ridiculous under hand throw anymore. It sounds like the Mets are good with the infield the way it is going into next year though. I would sell high on Duda... It also sounds like they are ok with keeping Granderson at leadoff which drives me insane. It looks like he's back to being a run producer again. So, I would love to see him in the 3rd spot. Murphs decision is coming soon. I don't think I'd be shocked if he accepted it. If he does, does that really put Duda on the market? Edited by capo

Colby Rasmus becomes first player to ever sign QO. I have a feeling Murph does too. It doesn't look like the market is going to give Murph an annual salary of 15 mil per year. If I was him I would take and prove my stick was worth next year and go for a big contract in '16. Remember Murph came out of the gate really slow this year and picked it up as the season went along. If he hits .330 and 25 dinger he can make some serious cash next winter. Otherwise 4 years 50 mil looks like what he's going to get and he can get that at least next year with similar numbers that he put up this year. Might as well take the close to 16 this year with the team you just carried to the world series and try to do it again...

2015 Grandy was a fine leadoff hitter (I've already explained why, even if he doesn't do every last thing a top leadoff hitter does...but it's not like there's ton of those guys around).  But there's definitely no guarantee he has another year like that in him.  If he goes back to being a .220-.230 hitter and a .310ish OB% player, that's going to hurt out of the leadoff slot. 

I think the Mets want the draft pick and not Murph.  A little scary to think that infield might come back 100% intact.  I get that they're screwed with Wright, but Duda should be moved.  It's enough with him.

And while I wouldn't call Murph injury-prone, he has missed some games through the years.  I think he's gotta get what he can while he can.

Murphy can still get $10-12 million a year on a multi year deal, if you're him you have to take what you get in FA over a one year deal, his value will never be higher unless he somehow goes .300-30-100 next year and/or wins WS MVP

The only thing is he's worth at least that next year also. Might as well take his few extra QO millions.

The only thing is he's worth at least that next year also. Might as well take his few extra QO millions.

There's no guarantee you get that in case of injury though. It's either one guaranteed year at $15 million or 4-5 at $48-60. Most people will take the latter. Especially since if he just puts up a .280-10-70 year next season he might not quite get the same deal...it might be like a 3-30 type deal.

Colby Rasmus had good reason to accept the QO, HE wasn't getting anywhere near that in FA. If Szamardjia was smart he'd take the QO too, the pitching market's so deep this year he should just try to pitch his way back into getting a bigger deal.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If he accepts, it's a big risk on his part, for the reasons previously discussed.  And there's so no way the Mets want him taking up $15.8 million of their payroll.  They made that offer thinking Murph was good as gone, so why not get a pick out of it?  I don't think they really want him back under these circumstances. 

If he accepts, it's a big risk on his part, for the reasons previously discussed. And there's so no way the Mets want him taking up $15.8 million of their payroll. They made that offer thinking Murph was good as gone, so why not get a pick out of it? I don't think they really want him back under these circumstances.

I definitely think that they do not want him back. Though, they need his bat desperately. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it if he does accept. My move would be to send Duda packing slide DW over to first and plug Murph in at 3b for this year. Obviously, it would be a transition for David so they could work through it during the spring an just play Murph at first DW looks like Piazza over there.

Voters got it right...no way Terry should've even been nominated for the Manager of the Year award, let alone won it. The talent on the field was the difference. Terry got in the way more than he helped.

All you had to do was watch the Mets all year to see that Terry is still very capable of making some baffling decisions.  I get that EVERY manager is going to make moves that don't work out (even the ones that make sense), but TC makes a lot of head-scratchers.  It's like I said, he had a hitter come in and perform way over reasonable expectations for several weeks (which seemed to be infectious), and got some tremendous starting pitching for significant stretches.  He had a LOT of talent to work with (and I don't kid myself, not too many managers are going to squeeze wins out of a low-talent team), and it's like I said, he really didn't have to do much except stay out of the way...which he didn't always do.  And he still isn't good at handling a pitching staff.

One thing I will say in his favor is that his players have just about always played hard for him.  I'll also admit that it's not like he's been given lots of support by Sandy...Sandy making some big in-season moves that paid off with a World Series has helped with how fans view him for now, but the fact is, before the past season, he'd made a lot of lousy (and not always cost-effective) moves and had often come off as indifferent, passive, and not interested in trying to expedite the timetable at all.  He does deserve credit for not coughing up any of the young arms though. 

TC up for manager of the year was a joke in the first place. He tried absolutely nothing to get the team going as the year went. Nothing other than Cespedes got the Mets into the playoffs. The pitching kept them around .500 and Cespedes infused the offense. When Cespedes got here TC's approach stayed exactly the same- beer league softball station-to-station. Cespedes's two month tear earned TC a few million bucks. If not for Cespedes, Bud Black is probably this teams manager right now.

TC up for manager of the year was a joke in the first place. He tried absolutely nothing to get the team going as the year went. Nothing other than Cespedes got the Mets into the playoffs. The pitching kept them around .500 and Cespedes infused the offense. When Cespedes got here TC's approach stayed exactly the same- beer league softball station-to-station. Cespedes's two month tear earned TC a few million bucks. If not for Cespedes, Bud Black is probably this teams manager right now.

He also had John Mayberry as his cleanup hitter at one point. And you're wrong about the station to station crap. The Mets ran all over the Cubs and Dodgers.

Well the Cubs also improved their record by more games than the Mets. I thought Terry should have been two ahead of Matheny but that's not a big deal.

If it's based on regular season which is how it is supposed to be, I fail to see how Maddon beat out Matheny who was without his ace and relied on rookies to win 100 games.

The problem, Derek, is you are basing everything on the playoffs. They ran more in the playoffs then they did all year. I watched this guy manage well over 100 games this year alone. He's lucky he didn't get fired midway through the year. I'm not an Alderson or a Wilpon fan either. And it looks like SA is going to nickel and dime away this winter and we are going to start the season with another sh!t line up. We've already lost our regular season and playoff heroes. If the Mets lose to the Dodgers you're not putting up any argument for TC right now and he probably gets fired in favor of Black.

Edited by capo

He also had John Mayberry as his cleanup hitter at one point. And you're wrong about the station to station crap. The Mets ran all over the Cubs and Dodgers.

If it's based on regular season which is how it is supposed to be, I fail to see how Maddon beat out Matheny who was without his ace and relied on rookies to win 100 games.

Because it's the Cardinals, they're supposed to win 95 games by rote fair or not, like the Lou Devils teams nobody could ever win the Jack Adams even when there was an argument to be made for it (Burns '03, Sutter his first year, Lemaire in '11). And yeah he probably doesn't get enough credit for having 100+ wins even without Wainwright but honestly they're still a good team, or at least were until Molina and all their other pitchers went down too.

The problem, Derek, is you are basing everything on the playoffs. They ran more in the playoffs then they did all year. I watched this guy manage well over 100 games this year alone. He's lucky he didn't get fired midway through the year. I'm not an Alderson or a Wilpon fan either. And it looks like SA is going to nickel and dime away this winter and we are going to start the season with another sh!t line up. We've already lost our regular season and playoff heroes. If the Mets lose to the Dodgers you're not putting up any argument for TC right now and he probably gets fired in favor of Black.

While Terry ain't the world's greatest strategist I do give him credit for his work outside the white lines. The season could easily have turned on itself before the deadline pitching or no pitching, and you never heard one peep about anyone's role on the team - a lot of big name guys accepted demotions and position changes without complaint. More than can be said in Washington...or LA for that matter.