Mets 2015-16 Offseason Thread

'7'

The problem, Derek, is you are basing everything on the playoffs. They ran more in the playoffs then they did all year. I watched this guy manage well over 100 games this year alone. He's lucky he didn't get fired midway through the year. I'm not an Alderson or a Wilpon fan either. And it looks like SA is going to nickel and dime away this winter and we are going to start the season with another sh!t line up. We've already lost our regular season and playoff heroes. If the Mets lose to the Dodgers you're not putting up any argument for TC right now and he probably gets fired in favor of Black.

Capo, you can't say 'if.' They didn't. 'If' Murphy didn't make that error. 'If' Familia didn't give up that home run. 'If' Duda made that throw. We could do that with everything. The only reason that series went 5 was due to Kershaw. If you're gonna discredit the manager when they fall short, then you have to also credit him when they succeed. 

What has Bud Black ever done outside of being a good pitching coach? He probably doesn't even have the persona for New York. You can't just throw anyone as a coach/manager under the bright lights. 

You know who was to blame for their mediocre play? Management. Then they realized during July when things got better that maybe they could take a shot. They gave TC a bat which automatically gave the lineup a jolt. It took pressure off everyone. Plus the additions of Uribe, Johnson were smart. And for as bad as Clippard was from mid-September on, he helped that pen as did Reed. 

You almost sound like you'd rather have lost in the first round than go to the World Series. That can't be true. The Mets weren't supposed to be there. But they arrived early. Give the off season a chance.

'

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem, Derek, is you are basing everything on the playoffs. They ran more in the playoffs then they did all year. I watched this guy manage well over 100 games this year alone. He's lucky he didn't get fired midway through the year. I'm not an Alderson or a Wilpon fan either. And it looks like SA is going to nickel and dime away this winter and we are going to start the season with another sh!t line up. We've already lost our regular season and playoff heroes. If the Mets lose to the Dodgers you're not putting up any argument for TC right now and he probably gets fired in favor of Black.

OK, now you're getting a bit ridiculous with the negativity.  For one, do you want Cespedes and Murph back, no questions asked?  Cespedes, at the money he's going to be asking for, has the potential to be a disaster.  Murph has his share of warts too.  Depending on how everything shakes out, it wouldn't surprise me that much if Murph went out and tested the market, and wound up coming back here (if the Mets don't sign Zobrist).  I get the feeling the market isn't as strong for him as some initially thought. 

I haven't always been a big Sandy fan, but this offseason is different than previous ones.  The young arms have all arrived and the only one that probably needs some seasoning at the major-league level is Matz.  The time is clearly right now, and the World Series appearance has made that fact more apparent than ever.  So Sandy will likely be doing more than just looking for warm bodies and "what-the-hell, maybe" potential bargains like Marlon Byrd-types, like he did for the past several offseasons.  A lot of Mets fans clearly don't trust the organization...if they go out and do next to nothing and try to sell us on Herrera at second, Flores/Tejada at short, Doofus at first (the guy conclusively proved he's a bad-team ballplayer this season...he doesn't belong on a contender), and Lagares as the everyday CF, then yeah, it wasn't a good offseason.  But Derek is right, at least give the offseason a chance before ranting about sh!t that hasn't even happened yet. 

At any rate, it will be a tough offseason for Sandy, in that he's going to have to be very creative.  What sucks for him is that if he sets his eyes on any truly significant players that have to be acquired via trade, every GM is going to ask for one of the fab four.  Sandy may have to counter with Wheeler and others...maybe something like Wheeler, d'Arnaud and someone else to get a bigger deal done (which may not be enough).  Guess we'll find out soon enough...

Derek, my point is TC never did anything to change what wasn't working. He just kept sending guys up there taking at bats. No attempts to steal. No bunting guys over. Zero attempts to manufacture runs. You brought up The running during the playoffs. TC is on record saying the players did that on their own. Murphy started most of that taking the extra base on the shift.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing big so far, but some stuff that's flown under the radar:

25-year-old righthanded reliever Stolmy Pimental signed to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training.  He has 20 relief appearances in the majors.  A quick look at his minor-league numbers don't really say much (he was mostly a starter in the minors)...he's been pretty ordinary overall, but with Sandy having given up a lot of young arms in deals, you need some depth. 

Mets also signed utilityman Ty Kelly to a similar deal.  Basically another depth move. 

I get the feeling once the Mets lose out on Zobrist (I just don't think they're willing to go as high as some other teams, and he's not a kid), I think maybe Murph comes back (I get the feeling the market on him simply isn't that strong).  I'll be floored if Cespedes is back (and I'm 100% on-board with him moving on). 

But if I had to guess today what the team will look like in 2016 as far as starting position players go, I'm guessing it's:

1B  Duda

2B  Herrera

SS  Flores

3B  Wright

C  d'Arnaud

LF  Conforto

CF  Lagares

RF  Granderson

Would love for any two of Wright, Duda, Lagares and Flores to be gone, but it will probably be one at most. 

Really seems like the early decisions are coming down to money. I think Mejia should be toast on principle alone, but oh well.

Funny in that there's now a handful of teams that spend tons of money for not much other reason than to spend tons of money. The David Price contract is hilarious. And I thought Wright's contract was bad (it is, but Price...holy sh!t).

Talk about showing zero in the creativity department...who's Dombrowski consulting with...Glen Sather? I still can't believe Price got a deal like that.

Sox are going balls to the wall to win the 2016 World Series for Papi. They don't care about tomorrow.

That's setting the market for Harvey. No chance he gets a penny less than 275 mil over 7. The big push will be for 300 mil. 

Sox are going balls to the wall to win the 2016 World Series for Papi. They don't care about tomorrow.

That's setting the market for Harvey. No chance he gets a penny less than 275 mil over 7. The big push will be for 300 mil. 

That's assuming Harvey is still Harvey in a few years (there's no way to know).  That's a big IF with pitchers these days.  And it's amazing how GMs never learn their lesson, because these deals (especially for pitchers) rarely work out. 

The strange thing is you don't hear a peep or even the hint of a rumor around Murphy or Cespedes, though Murphy I understand since he's the fallback for teams once they don't get Zobrist.

I don't think there's much enthusiasm for either, especially Cespedes.  I think a lot of people are taking his 6-week hot spell as an isolated sample of a merely good player playing out of his mind.  I think he gets a lot less than some originally thought. 

The Price contract is doubly hilarious cause it's 1.5 times more money than Dombrowski offered Scherzer last offseason and like three times more money than they initially offered Lester last year

Absolutely insane contract for anyone, but particularly a guy who pitches like garbage in the playoffs. Boston may have some serious buyers remorse on that one.

Yikes.  Not too many words scarier than "cancer" in any medical diagnosis (unless "no sign of" is in there somewhere).  Hope he'll get through it. 

Ugh, Awful news. Thoughts and prayers with Sandy and his family. They are dancing around with words here..."treatable". Well yes you can treat any type of cancer, but things get dicier when the patient is 68, and I do worry when we think back to when he fainted. Hopefully it's nothing brain related.

Ugh, Awful news. Thoughts and prayers with Sandy and his family. They are dancing around with words here..."treatable". Well yes you can treat any type of cancer, but things get dicier when the patient is 68, and I do worry when we think back to when he fainted. Hopefully it's nothing brain related.

Good point, you tend to think of treatable and curable in the same vein but it's actually a big difference.

And what's sad is that you know someone (probably multiple someones) somewhere will actually say that, should the Mets not do much in the offseason, that Sandy needing cancer treatment would make for a convenient "excuse" for the organization...which would be complete and utter bullsh!t (Sandy will still be plenty involved and he has assistants...if Sandy doesn't do much, it won't be because he was sick), but watch...some WFAN callers will bring that up. 

And what's sad is that you know someone (probably multiple someones) somewhere will actually say that, should the Mets not do much in the offseason, that Sandy needing cancer treatment would make for a convenient "excuse" for the organization...which would be complete and utter bullsh!t (Sandy will still be plenty involved and he has assistants...if Sandy doesn't do much, it won't be because he was sick), but watch...some WFAN callers will bring that up.

Yes, total bullsh!t. The Mets definitely had a plan before the start of the FA season. It looks like they are players for Zobrist but there could be too many teams involved for then to come out with them. Unless Zobrist likes the teams upside over other options.

I was thinking no way they go after Cespedes after the season based on what he was looking for. But, if he'd take a 3 year deal after surveying his market the Mets would have to be all over that.

Small irony that two former Met starters ink deals on the same day - Pelfrey 2 years, $16 million with the Tigers, Ollie 2 years, $7 million with the Nats.  It wasn't even that long ago they were supposed to be two of our young starters we wanted in the rotation for years...and there was a point not long after that when I thought both would be washed out of the league long before now :P

Small irony that two former Met starters ink deals on the same day - Pelfrey 2 years, $16 million with the Tigers, Ollie 2 years, $7 million with the Nats.  It wasn't even that long ago they were supposed to be two of our young starters we wanted in the rotation for years...and there was a point not long after that when I thought both would be washed out of the league long before now :P

So nice that the Mets don't have to sign Pelfrey-types to deals like that.  And yeah, hard to believe that they're still in the league.